Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3Y/4Y starters

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

3Y/4Y starters

So I'm replacing the starter in my Townace which has a 3Y motor in it, I know there's a different part number is used for the 3Y and 4Y motor and I was told by the parts clerk that the bolt pattern was different between the two.

I ordered a Denso starter for my 87 van and I just got one for my 89 Van with a 3Y motor but they look exactly alike? Some sites say that all starters are compatible from 84'-89' and some say that they are different. Does any one know if this is true?

On another post I said the bolt pattern was different and that's what I was told by the parts clerk. But now with both starters in hand I think they are the same. In the photos to the right of the picture is a Denso starter and to the left is a Beck Arnley reman. When I ordered it from Rockauto they stated that it was a Denso rebuild but I got a B/A starter instead. I wanna return it and just get a Denso starter.

If if anyone knows first hand that would be very helpful.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: 3Y/4Y starters

84 - 89 are all interchangeable. The 84 - 85 starters (for the 3y) are 1 killawatt. Starters for 86 - 89 (4y) are 1.4 killawatt (40% more powerful). For a while I ran an 85 starter in my 86 van. It worked but it cranked slow. Eventually I replaced it with a 4y starter and liked it better. The 3y one never let me down, but hearing the engine spin faster gave me a feeling of more confidence. I changed it while having a fuel pressure problem (check valve in pump was allowing fuel to return back to the tank). This meant longer cranking times and the 3y starter made me nervous. Tim

My Van(s):

Tim thank you for the validation on the interchange, when I ordered the starter it did state that it was a reman Denso and its a 1.4 kW, I did notice that some were 1.0 kw but stuck with 1.4kw. I ended up with the BA reman instead and I'm not happy bout that... I want Denso or no go!!!

I do notice a difference when starting both Vans in quickness when starting them but never really made sense to me that would be the reason, I was thinking it was their own individual characteristic. I'm gonna return that Beck Arnley hopefully they give me back all my otherwise will post it in the for sale section and maybe a local member may need it.

thank you

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    Tim thank you for the validation on the interchange, when I ordered the starter it did state that it was a reman Denso and its a 1.4 kW, I did notice that some were 1.0 kw but stuck with 1.4kw. I ended up with the BA reman instead and I'm not happy bout that... I want Denso or no go!!!

I do notice a difference when starting both Vans in quickness when starting them but never really made sense to me that would be the reason, I was thinking it was their own individual characteristic. I'm gonna return that Beck Arnley hopefully they give me back all my otherwise will post it in the for sale section and maybe a local member may need it.

thank you
    Why don't you just rebuild it? What's wrong with it?

John

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by craftech View Post
    Why don't you just rebuild it? What's wrong with it?

John
    John,

I really don't have the time or actually the know how to pull the starter, order the correct parts, rebuild it and put it back in the van with no issues. Now that the starter is out I can leisurely try to accomplish this rebuild... With my 2 left hands

So I took the Van in and they installed the Denso, I picked it up on Saturday and test started it and it fired right up.... And now twice this weekend after running errands and shutting off the Van it won't start. I put it on the charger to test the battery and it shows 12.1 amps. I turn the key and you can hear the starter click but it won't turn the engine over. Lights, stereo, and windows all work fine but it won't turn over. When I jump it then it'll start right up, not sure what's going on ( ground wire)

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Assuming you meant 12.1 volts instead of amps when you tested your battery, then it sounds as though your battery is discharged or weak. Try fully charging the battery then testing voltage while trying to start the van and see how low it drops. You can pull the EFI fuse while doing this so it cranks without starting. If it drops below 10-10.5 volts then it's probably time for a new one. You can also take your battery to an auto parts store for further testing. While you've got the meter hooked up it's a good time to check alternator output voltage to see if it is contributing to a discharged battery. If all of this checks good then google "battery voltage drop test". Use the test procedures you'll find to determine if there is significant enough resistance in your battery cables to warrant replacement.

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Assuming you meant 12.1 volts instead of amps when you tested your battery, then it sounds as though your battery is discharged or weak. Try fully charging the battery then testing voltage while trying to start the van and see how low it drops. You can pull the EFI fuse while doing this so it cranks without starting. If it drops below 10-10.5 volts then it's probably time for a new one. You can also take your battery to an auto parts store for further testing. While you've got the meter hooked up it's a good time to check alternator output voltage to see if it is contributing to a discharged battery. If all of this checks good then google "battery voltage drop test". Use the test procedures you'll find to determine if there is significant enough resistance in your battery cables to warrant replacement.
    original,

man thank you for the terminoligy, I knew it was wrong when I reread it but couldn't remember the words. Both times I tested the battery at 12.1-12.2 volts, but what has me tripping is that I just drove it and 5 minutes later it won't start, wouldn't driving it around for 45 minutes charge it back up enough so when off for 5 minutes it would fire right back up again?

As for the battery it's about 12-14 months old Interstate group 24 and new cables were swapped out at the same time and alternator (Denso Pro) is about the same age. I have a battery/ alternator tester/ charger so I'll try what you've suggested hopefully sometime this week. But I'll also try a trickle 2 volt charge overnight.

Thank you
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 05-26-2015 at 12:56 AM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

If the battery voltage is that low than it's either not getting or not accepting a charge. A fully charged battery should be 12.6-12.7 volts and the alternator should put out 13.5-14.5 volts. Definitely fully charge the battery and then do a battery load and charging system test if you have the equipment. It may be a wiring issue other than cables too. Mine wasn't charging and it turned out to be a diode in the printed circuit on the instrument cluster. I didn't even realize that was possible.

My Van(s):

original,

thank for your helpful tips!! A short in the cluster?? How is that possible, I guess anything is possible.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

How did it behave with the old starter? Did it crank at all? Did you have these type intermittent issues?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    original,

thank for your helpful tips!! A short in the cluster?? How is that possible, I guess anything is possible.
    If you have oil leaking into the alternator from either the P/S pump or the engine it may not have failed yet (dashboard with infamous 'Christmas Tree Lights'), but may not be fully charging the battery. Test the battery. In terms of rebuilding the Denso starter, the parts are cheap and rebuilding them is very easy:

http://www.iowamotorparts.com/denso_...noid_parts.htm

John

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    How did it behave with the old starter? Did it crank at all? Did you have these type intermittent issues?
    Coincidently, yes it had just started doing the same thing with the old starter, I didn't think of checking the battery at that time cause I assumed that the battery was fine. I was tapping on the (old) starter to get it running.

John,

thank you for some valuable input, but there's no leak at the P/S pump or any part of the head (thank goodness) at this time. But yes I will need to retest the battery to see if it's holding charge. And as for the starter rebuild, thank you for the link

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Use a voltmeter on the battery while it's running. S/B over 13.5 V. If less, then there's a problem with the charging system. If so, then read this thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...lternator-woes. If volts are okay, then it's likely a problem somewhere else in the circuit. Here's a thread that should help you identify: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...witch-question. Tim

My Van(s):

Well I had to give in and take the Van into the shop, I charged up the battery and dropped it off at Hobbs, they had it for the last 2 weeks and were never able to duplicate the issue. They tested the battery, alternator, starter, and then they had hooked it up the automotive EKG System (volt meters) starting from the ignition, battery, starter, alternator, neutral safety switch and I don't know where else, or actual order, but it's all hooked up to see where the voltage drop is happening and isolate the problem. with it all hooked up during the day when passing by the Van they would start it and let it run for 30-60 minutes and when someone else would walk by they would turn it off and then within 10-15 min go back and try to start it.... And of course it started every time they did that all week and then the next week after I stopped in during my lunch break I took the Van to get gas and then drove it 30 minutes and brought it back and shut it down and then tried to start it and of course she fired right up They continued to do the walk by start and stop scenario but then added in taking her out driving during their lunch break to try and duplicate the issue aaaand yes you guessed it... She fired right up

So Friday after having it for two weeks and trying to duplicate the issue and having no luck I stopped by and spoke to Dave the service writer and told him thank you for all his efforts. I brought it home but it's been a crazy busy weekend so I haven't drove it at all to see if she'll act up again.

I hope when they were checking all the connections maybe they unknowingly cleaned or tightened something that was loose or dirty???

My Van(s):

Update-

i thought the problem was solved but nope, I left the van at the shop for 3 days and they were finally able to duplicate the intermittent start issue I've been having-

turns out the starter solenoid is only getting 7.4 volts and that's not enough to get it to turn over. They said its possibly because alarm interrupt wire that runs to the soleniod isn't allowing enough current to run thru after its warmed up.

Has as anyone heard or experienced this type of issue with an alarm installed? Maybe it doesn't have to do with the alarm and it's just old wires?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I had a 1984 that had intermittent starting. I'm pretty sure it was from a rebuilt Bosch starter because I swapped it with junk yard one and no problem again. Other people had this problem and just skipped the steering column and put on a push button start directly between starter and battery.
    Don't know about the alarm system but if it's intermittent I'd say probably old van wiring.

My Van(s):

djshimon,

thank you for the quick reply, I was thinking old wires as well so I has already ordered an ignition wiring harness just I case that would be the issue from the steering column, but it sounds like it's further down the line.

not sure if a new fatter wire from the alarm to the soleniod would solve the problem. I love the push button start idea but really don't want a whole lot of electrical modifications done to the van.

My Van(s):

Tim,

thanks for creating this thread-

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/c...witch-question

gonna review this's with my nephew who installed the alarm and has a better understanding of wiring and electronics.

Thank you

My Van(s):

So the intermittent starting issues have arised once again. Since the Van is in my other trusted shop for the wheel bearings I described the issue to Mr. Yee (MasterTech) for a second set of eyes and hands to have a look at the problem.

He called me to inform me they were not able to duplicate the issue but have notice the positive battery wire had a little corrosion and that the main starter wire had some oil on the terminal. Probably from the last oil filter change cause there is no leaks in this baby!!

Solution was to clean off the battery terminal and put on terminal grease, remove and clean starter wire and clean contacts and wire. (No charge)

I'm hoping this is will resolve the on going issue!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If it persists you should try the following:

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I was also experiencing this same issue on my 86, but every time I started troubleshooting, the problem would remedy itself (sometimes these issues will vary based on conditions or other factors & can be hard to track down). Since I knew the circuit was functional (just weak), and since voltage loss is directly proportional to load, I took the load off the circuit by installing a Bosch relay. Now all the trigger circuit needs to do is activate the coil of the relay (very small load) and the relay supplies power to the starter directly from the battery. I can't guaranty this will work for you, but it completely solved my problem. Before the relay mod this was happening about once a week. I installed the relay over a year/15k miles ago and the problem hasn't come back since. Good luck. Tim