Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running issue

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

Re: Running issue with my 87 4x4 TV

I finally think its right. I had to stop on the timing and figure out the starting issue. Now that ive got it starting again I also have it timed to 12tdc but it doesn't jump to 20 when I pull the jumper wire.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If it doesn't jump ahead when the jumper is pulled from the "check engine connector" this means the electronic advance is not working. Without electronic advance, power and fuel economy will go down and exhaust temps will be high. Most likely cause is a faulty TPS (which would explain your code 11). Congrats on getting it running half decent, but you still have a little more to do. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

Ok great so its back to the tps. Can I just advance my timing to 20 then until I get my tps online? I just got back from a short drive and it definitely felt low on power in the low end of the gears.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

Does this look correct to you? I looks different to me but comes up on rockauto as theBeck arnley.
    1986 TOYOTA VAN 2.2L L4 : Fuel/Air : Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Price
    BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1580503
    {#8945214020} (Only 4 Remaining)
    $29.79
    AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S5171
    {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers}
    $53.79
    ACDELCO Part # 2134497
    {#19236551} Professional
    $56.79
    STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TH374
    {#8945214020, 96060073} Intermotor; Direct OE Replacement
    $58.79

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, that's the one. For some reason the picture used for Beck Arnley TPS units is often incorrect. If you order that number you should get one that does not resemble the file photo.

I wouldn't recommend advancing the timing that far. IMO you're better off leaving it at 12 then to risk damage by advancing it manually. Once you have the electronic advance working your power & economy should improve. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

When i first had dialed in by feel to get it started was at around 20. It starts easy and runs smoothly. First bump now just like it used to be, granted its only been one day and a short drive so far. I used the same spot on the distributor where it was chinched down before. I just used this same spot and it fired up first try. Then I tried to adjust to 12 but it was down on power for sure. I couldn't get above 55mph. But now it feels just like it did before this stuttering and stalling started happening.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

Could the tps have been bad before so the timing was set higher to combat that? Great ill order that part up from rock auto if they will ship to Hawaii.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The TPS by itself probably won't make it run that bad. I'm thinking you might have multiple issues.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

I got my TPS ordered and Im going to get a coil too while Im at it. Im still having a hell of a time finding and ignition module. I was looking thru some catalogs online and it cross referenced a Camry and a Campfry. Looking on Ebay I found this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-TOYOTA-...4d320d&vxp=mtr
    The plugs look right, the time period is right but Id thought Id ask before I jumped.
    Also I was reading on here, do I need to replace the distributatorand coil together?? I hope not . That seems a bit odd.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

I went and took my starter to be rebuilt and got it back, the guy said it looked like it was getting a lot of current to it had pieces of the copper washer/ring down inside the plunger.
    I also went and picked up an 86 2wd 5speed for 200$. Had to rewire some of the things and play with but got it out of the jungle and back on the road. Drove 20 miles to get it home no problem. Its been sitting for 4 years before we gave it a try. Its got tons of good parts including brand new tires and an ignition module that I could not find for under 350$. The body is toast but thats what the jungle does to cars.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I miss this. I love pulling old derelict vans out of places where they were left and forgotten. Oh the thrill of getting them running again. Sadly, since we moved I no longer have places to hide them. My wife still nags me to get rid of the ones I have . Nice score. I'm a bit surprised on the shortage of these igniters. Like you said they cannot be found anywhere. Of course they will likely pop back up on eBay at some point. I don't think the Camry one will work. The van ones are unique and have a "79" printed on them. It's possible the Camry one may work with a little mod, but in that picture I don't see the round plug that goes to the distributor. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

Thanks Tim, Im glad I went this route for the ignition module. The van I got was a cargo conversion 5 speed with only 130,000 miles on it. So far Ive got everything under the dash and the few interior pieces of trim. For 200$ I got a big fat radiator, newer alternator and starter, ECU, TPS, Ignition Module, All the glass, lights, and Im pulling the motor and tranny to store for when mine goes out. I mean its got less than half the miles than my 4x4. Im just short of 300,000 mile and now I got this back up with 130,000! What a score . I was hoping I could use this radiator to but it dosent fit my 4x4 so the cargos must have had larger radiators than the stock 2wds. My clutch fan recently flew apart when the rivets wore thru and did some damage to my radiator so I took it down to be repaired locally. Im gonna go pick it up in an hr or so then I should be able to see if the igniter helps out with the running issue. My new TPS, and ignition switch are still in the mail somewhere so those will be next to swap if it still has problems.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The 4wd vans have shorter radiators to make room for the front differential (the 2wd radiator won't fit in a 4wd). To my knowledge, all 2wd's had the same size radiators as did all the 4wd vans (just different between 2wd's & 4wd's). If you have a wider radiator, I'd suspect it had a custom recore at some point. Tim

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Actually, the 84-85 2WD rads are very slightly different than the 86-89 2WD rads. I found this out the hard way (2nd gen won't fit into 1st gen).

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

Got the repaired radiator in, only 52$! The new clutch fan rubs the bottom of the shroud in one little place where it contacts the knuckle. Im not sure the clutch is working either, it seemed to stay on the whole test run. I may have to switch back to the original clutch and swap on the new fins. It had a slight stumble only once so far so thats positive. Im also still pulling code 11, once my new TPS gets in Ill do that.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    Actually, the 84-85 2WD rads are very slightly different than the 86-89 2WD rads. I found this out the hard way (2nd gen won't fit into 1st gen).

Gwen
    That's good to know. There's so much I don't know about 84 - 85. Sometimes I forget they exist .

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

So heres the situation with my van as of today . New cap, rotor, wires, ignition switch and TPS. 130000 mile ignigter and coil from my parts van and it pulls only a single blink for codes. So far so good. Ive had no problems with it not starting or stumbling but well see how tomorrow goes. To tell the truth Im thinking this whole time its been the ground going to my igtniter off of the air box. I was putting in missing bolts that I took off my parts van and I believe that since then its been running good.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Parts vans are AWESOME!!! Anybody who drives an older vehicle IMO should have at least one parts vehicle. It makes troubleshooting so much easier to have known good parts available for swapping over. Glad to hear it's working out. Tim