Thread: Control Arm Bushing Noise

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

Control Arm Bushing Noise

I've had some pretty loud low pitch squeaks on my passenger side for some time. It's annoying. I replaced the tie rod ends and ball joints today... which was surprisingly easy... everything basically fell apart and it only took about an hour for both sides. The control arm bushing are certainly original and look bad but I'm not ready to tackle them just yet.

Are there grease fittings for the control arm bushings?

Will not replacing them while replacing the other suspension components impact the new parts and alignment?

I'm getting new tires and alignment soon. Should I put that off until I can get around to doing the control arm bushings?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Control Arm Busing Noise

4wd vans have a place for grease zerks, 2wd vans do not. Any time you replace parts on the front suspension, an alignment should be the final step. I would recommend you replace the bushings now. If you need to put a bunch more miles on it before doing the bushings, then get an alignment now, then again after doing the bushings.

It's a little late now that you've done the ball joints, but if I were doing ball joints and bushings, I would probably just replace the entire a-arms. You can get the entire 2wd upper assemblies for $65 each, and lowers for around $68 (bushings and ball joints included). Tim

Reference: www.Rockauto.com Moog #RK621261, RK621260, RK641388, & RK641387

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

Thanks Tim. That would have been the ideal route to go. Not sure why I didn't think about replacing the entire assemblies. I'm sure that's what the shops would have done .

Good to know!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    4wd vans have a place for grease zerks, 2wd vans do not. Any time you replace parts on the front suspension, an alignment should be the final step. I would recommend you replace the bushings now. If you need to put a bunch more miles on it before doing the bushings, then get an alignment now, then again after doing the bushings.

It's a little late now that you've done the ball joints, but if I were doing ball joints and bushings, I would probably just replace the entire a-arms. You can get the entire 2wd upper assemblies for $65 each, and lowers for around $68 (bushings and ball joints included). Tim

Reference: www.Rockauto.com Moog #RK621261, RK621260, RK641388, & RK641387

Tim,

I am unable to find the part numbers for the UPPER control arms on the MOOG website for my 1984 Toyota Van. They only list the two lower control arms as does Rock Auto. Are any of those numbers you listed for upper control arms for an 84?

John

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, Being 1984 I'm not sure what to tell you. Those part numbers I posted above are for 85 - 89 2wd Toyota Vans. I'm not sure what makes 84 different or if they would interchange, but doesn't look like you can get Moog uppers for 1984 (at least not by application). I checked Toyota's EPC and see they also list different part numbers for 1984.........but they want close to $400 each. I tried crossing those numbers but nothing came up. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Yeah, Being 1984 I'm not sure what to tell you. Those part numbers I posted above are for 85 - 89 2wd Toyota Vans. I'm not sure what makes 84 different or if they would interchange, but doesn't look like you can get Moog uppers for 1984 (at least not by application). I checked Toyota's EPC and see they also list different part numbers for 1984.........but they want close to $400 each. I tried crossing those numbers but nothing came up. Tim
    I do appreciate that you checked on that for me. The torsion bars are the same on 84-85 so if the upper control arms for an 85 accept the torsion bar bolt on bracket, the 84 should as well. Maybe I will check to see if the upper ball joints cross over as well. So far, I relaced the torsion bar on the left side a year ago and stopped short of messing with the bushings even though I have them.

John

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Definitely let us know if you figure anything else regarding interchange as it may end up helping somebody else down the line. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van 2WD

Definitely let us know if you figure anything else regarding interchange as it may end up helping somebody else down the line. Tim
    I definitely will do that.

John

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Re: Control Arm Bushing Noise

I was wondering the parts from Rock Auto for 2wd lower and upper assemblies (bushings and ball joints included)
    Moog #RK621261, RK621260, RK641388, & RK641387

Will be OK for a '84 Van?

So sometimes I have a sharp quick noise when i'm turning my steering wheel on the right and I don't know what is it.

Any help will be appreciate, to tell me what should I inspect and figure out the problem

Thank you!!
    Last edited by iq_artwork; 02-21-2020 at 01:43 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

I'm changing my rotors and pads... And I thought it will be a good idea to change more parts while I will have the space.. So I just ordered from AutoRock 2 Stabilizer Bar Link for both sides (MOOG K700528).
    I have added some pics below, can you please tell me which part is the one in the cycle? Is it my upper ball joint? Bc in Rock Auto the part looks different, I'm confused? Also if I want to replace only the bushings can you please help me find the parts? Or I may have to replace more parts if there are really bad, please let me known I'm happy to hear your recommendation.

Thank you very much!!

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  88.0 KB Name:  unnamed-1.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  89.8 KB Name:  unnamed-2.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  88.5 KB Name:  unnamed-3.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  87.4 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

With some research, I think the name of the part I asked above, called Steering Knuckle and on top of it is the upper ball joint.. please let me know if Iツ知 wrong..
    So by changing the rest of the parts, I will go and order the upper and lower ball joints as well.. so I can be more safe.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

IQ - you are correct

I understand the thought that new is always better, however.

The reality is that factory parts are of better quality and if you were installing OEM we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    Reality is that some A/M parts can be of lesser quality (shorter service life).
    If the ball joints are within spec and not seized, I would not change them.
    YMMV

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Burntboot thanks for your reply!!

You are totally right!! I知 not sure if they are the original ball joints but from the pics are not looking that bad, I will check them out while I知 working on the van changing the other parts.. I believe my Stabilizer Bar Links are in a really bad condition I知 feeling it every time I drive the van, also sometimes I知 getting a quick sharp noise from the passenger痴 side when I知 turning my steering wheel.. what should I check for that?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Those link ends do look old and cracked and definitely the first place to start.

The Van is the same as any vehicle, really.
    Check anything made of rubber, both visually and with a bar.
    If you see rubber with cracking, then its due for replacement.

The rest is just checking for play.
    Easiest way is a long screwdriver or prybar, (1-2ft) and GENTLY apply pressure, then watch the how the bushing behaves.
    Generally speaking mounts and bushings should give a bit, but resist movement and return to normal position once released.
    Anything that jumps &/or doesn't return to position warrants further inspection and likely replacement.
    Sometimes you wont even see the movement, but will feel it thru the bar
    And please, be careful what you pry on and against, last thing you want to do is damage something else.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Hello everyone!

I have changed all my ball joints, stabilizer bars, tie rods, lower arms and my shocks are replaced few months ago. So I'm still hearing a squeaky noise sometimes from my passenger side. From what I have read here and also checked, my van's upper control arms are getting bad (I added wd-40 silicon today, hopefully it will help). Unfortunately I couldn't find an answer if the full upper arm #RK621261 with the ball joint fits in 1984 or 1985? Does anyone knows? Or can I buy only the bushings for a '84 and replace them?
    I just don't know the right part number.

Any help will very appreciate, thank you very much!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

So I found this site selling these whole upper arms for '84
    https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19...joint_assembly

But then the same part in other website I found it's only for 1985.. hmmm?
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 893
Size:  71.1 KB

So I'm thinking to get only the bushings and replace them. Do I need 4 front Upper bushings #88912549 2 for each side? I'm looking the manual's pic below, are the Front and the Rear Bushing the same part?
    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  73.2 KB

Thank you very much!!
    Last edited by iq_artwork; 04-25-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Hello everyone and '84 Van owners.

After some research I found out the '84-'85-'86 2wd vans sharing the same upper arms.
    In RockAuto unfortunately you can't find the whole upper arm for '84 vans, so I bought these two: ACDELCO45P0119{#19365493} ACDELCO45P0118{#19365492} listed in the '85 Van in RockAuto and they fit perfect.

No more squeaky noise

Also I found the original parts, still available in toyotapartsdeal. But super expensive.
    https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/part...g_knuckle.html