Thread: Not sure what this part is

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2WD Vanwagon

Not sure what this part is

Noticed this boot off the right side of my manual transmission was leaking fluid, and is torn pretty badly. Does anyone know what this boot is called and what it does? Would love to replace it but can't figure out what its called. I think it's connected to the starter, according to my manual.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  97.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  86.5 KB

I also discovered a hose that was plugged with a screw, and was missing about 6inches. The other end is in the other side of the photo. This was right under the driver seat...
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  88.1 KB

Cohiak
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Not sure what this part is

That's your clutch fork boot. It has nothing to do with the starter. It's more of a dust shield than a seal. You may have a leaking transmission input shaft seal or crankshaft rear main seal. The rotating flywheel would then be slinging the oil around the inside of the bellhousing causing it to seep out the boot. In your picture it appears there is a puddle of oil under your engine. This may be from the same leak. There should be a vacuum diagram sticker near your coolant reservoir that shows where the hose needs to connect.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Not sure what this part is

With a leak in this area, the clutch will eventually start slipping (if it hasn't already). When the clutch starts to slip, you will need to pull the transmission to fix. When you get to that point, once disassembled it should be obvious as to what seal has been leaking. Be sure to replace it at the same time you do the clutch (or you'll be doing the clutch again real soon). Tim