Thread: Coolant bottle switch

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Coolant bottle switch

Hello,

I want to replace my coolant bottle switch. Is the switch normally open or closed when the bottle is full?
    One would assume its normally open. The the dash light is able to do what it wants depending on battery voltage, key on, off ect....

I was thinking about one of these from mcmaster carr.com
    or

Thanks!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Coolant bottle switch

The float switch is wired into the ground side of the circuit and when the bottle is full the switch is open.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Stock switches are still available & come with the rubber grommet that always wears out. Of course Toyota wants over $100 for them. Is cost the reason for reinventing the wheel?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Thanks Tim!

I'm used to reinventing the wheel when it comes to obsolete parts. For the van and other things.
    I just assumed the part was NLA.

My Radiator light does come on when the key is turned to ACC.
    I tried jumpering the pins in the coolant sensor plug with the van running and the radiator light would not come on.
    I also tired jumpering each pin to ground and the light would not come on.
    All of this is with no aftermarket switches in play.

So i guess the answer is to install my own light or pull new wire to the dash.

Other suggestions?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The shaft the float moves up & down on has a magnetic switch inside of it. The center part of the round float (part that goes up & down the shaft) is a magnet and this activates the switch when the coolant is low. Switch is normally open (when reservoir is full and float is at top of shaft). When float drops to bottom of bottle, magnet aligns with the switch and the circuit closes. The part number for the float switch & grommet is #85335-73010. If the circuit is good, when the engine is running, the light should illuminate when you jump the 2 terminals together. If it doesn't do that, then there's a problem with the circuit. Like Original said, the float switch supplies ground to the radiator light bulb. Hot should be there all the time when the engine is running. Tim