Thread: General Tires Grabbers PSI

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

General Tires Grabbers PSI

What psi do you run your tires on? I read the suggested PSI on the tire and on the van. Would like to know if there is a sweet spot.

Thanks!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: General Tires Grabbers PSI

There is a lot of misconceptions regarding tire pressure. One of them being the pressure marked on the tire sidewall. This is the maximum pressure the tire is rated for not a recommended pressure. As a tires pressure increases it's load capacity does as well. In theory a tire need only be inflated enough to handle the weight it is carrying but that is a very simplified statement. My owners manual calls for 35 psi in both 2 and 4wd applications and 40 psi for an optional 6 ply tire for the two wheel drive. I have had both BFGoodrich ATs and Wildcat Radial LTs in the same LT27X8.50R14 size as the General Grabbers. These are all 6 ply rated or load range C tires. Initially I ran mine at the recommended 35 psi. After noticing what I considered excessive edge wear on the first set, and also seeing the 40 psi recommendation in the owners manual I have been running mine at that pressure ever since and have gotten good even wear on both sets of tires I have had on my van. The 40 psi is recommended for a 175R14 6pr tire for the two wheel drives but I figured it was worth a shot and have been very happy with it. I do tend to drive my van like a sports car in the corners and will usually air down for extended off-road use. So just to clarify my long winded response, I run mine at 40 psi.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Re: General Tires Grabbers PSI

Thank you for the reply! We are on the same page. When I ran the tires a 35 psi they seemed to deflated, especially the front tires... Bumped them up to 40 psi.

I was also wondering if anyone has any information on the tire life span at this psi. The majority of the miles are free way miles, and the tires are rotated every 5000 miles.