Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifted All Trac Previa

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    94 Previa modded with 5 sp manual tranny, 4wd high low transfer case, Torsen rear limited slip diff, 2" lift, DIY coilovers to allow 225/70r16 big tires, house battery.

Re: Lifted All Trac Previa

Yep. Soy yo, c'est moi, I it is.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    94 Previa modded with 5 sp manual tranny, 4wd high low transfer case, Torsen rear limited slip diff, 2" lift, DIY coilovers to allow 225/70r16 big tires, house battery.

Finally had my first trip to town after the lift and trans/trans transplant and had the alignment done today. The guy has a ton of experience with lifted vehicles and did a nice job. I had a pair of the MOOG offset bolts which didn't quite do it, and he slotted the strut holes just a bit to have adjustment range within spec. The castor is slightly out which is not adjustable on the Previa so he compensated slightly with camber, all still right in spec range. Tracks great on the highway.

Now to work out the tapping sound and airbag warning light on

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

tim, you can always buy eccentric camber bolts or get the OEM Toyota camber adjustment bolts (smaller bolts) that were specific to the 94-99 Previas, but they fit perfectly in the 90-93... I had to do this to correct the camber in mine... someone the frame got tweaked and one side had too much negative camber and the other side had too much positive camber.... the bolts look exactly like the beefy factory bolts and are the same strength, so they should be very safe!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I actually got the eccentric bolts & tried those 1st, but sadly they were not enough to compensate. The 1/2" grade 8 bolts did the job.........but just barely. So far they've held up well & I've put them through extreme service.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I just found this page on the internet: http://zenseeker.net/Previa/PreviaSuspension.htm. There's a spot they show modifying the struts by welding an extension to the lower mount (rather than building the spacers like I did). I had briefly considered this when I lifted mine, but was a bit concerned about welding so close to the gas charged portion. Anyhow, looks like their method is sound & the best part is you could run bigger tires. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

I saw that guy's thread on the *other* board a while ago, but I didn't know he made that huge page for those mods! lol

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

FWIW, The main mission here at TVT is to support/preserve the van & freely share all resources with enthusiasts. All members are encouraged to freely link other sites that will help us achieve this. If there is another site you wish to mention by all means please do . I was very impressed with the zenseeker site. Was the other board www.toyotavanpeople.com? Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1995 All Trac

Hi Guys...I'm new to the board. hey! I've got a 1995 white with Tan leather interior all-trac. It's my 2nd Previa. I loved my 1st one but it was only RWD.
    im just completing a 1 1/2" lift up front. It saves a lot of effort putting everything back together and getting things to line up. 2" is great but that extra 1/2" really puts a lot of strain on the angles.
    i'll keep ya posted what my alignment guy says.
    Long live the Previa

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    PREVIA 1993 LE

Hello .... You said that if we just lift 1 1/2 inch there is no major problemas with the angles ?

About the brake hoses ? Must to be changed too ?

I must to lift it if I want to stay with the Previa traveling in all Brazil .... Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Edlocke View Post
    Hi Guys...I'm new to the board. hey! I've got a 1995 white with Tan leather interior all-trac. It's my 2nd Previa. I loved my 1st one but it was only RWD.
    im just completing a 1 1/2" lift up front. It saves a lot of effort putting everything back together and getting things to line up. 2" is great but that extra 1/2" really puts a lot of strain on the angles.
    i'll keep ya posted what my alignment guy says.
    Long live the Previa
    Last edited by zepedrorusso; 08-10-2015 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Gramma

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by zepedrorusso View Post
    Hello .... You said that if we just lift 1 1/2 inch there is no major problemas with the angles ?

About the brake hoses ? Must to be changed too ?

I must to lift it if I want to stay with the Previa traveling in all Brazil .... Thanks a lot!

I did 2" lift. I did not change the brake lines. It is fine

With 2" lift the angles make it difficult to put it together-hard to bolt strut to steeing knuckle with strut at full extension. But, when the vehicle is on the ground and the vehicle weight compresses the strut it is all fine at 2"

Also, alignment needs more adjustment, either smaller diameter bolt like Tim did, or cam bolt plus some grinding of the hole on the strut, like my alignment guy did, but both methods work fine.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    PREVIA 1993 LE

mountainhick

You did not mentioned how you lifted it ... like Tim ? But just small ? Best !

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Yes, I did the "Tim" lift. 2"

I am changing it now: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...w-taller-tires

Please start reading at post #10. I started work on top spacers today. I will be posting the work to that thread.
    Last edited by mountainhick; 08-10-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1992 toyota previa le alltrack

Hey Tim,

What is the size and spring rate of the new rear springs? Were the springs alone enough to add 2" lift to the rear?

Thank you

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Everything I know/remember is all right there in post #1 (just go back and read it). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Everything I know/remember is all right there in post #1 (just go back and read it). Tim
    First let me say I am super impressed and grateful for your pioneering, and I am attempting to get all the parts together to start the project but since there are not after market lift kits (which give 2" lift while improve the ride as a new spring and shock would) this seems to be the way to go, However, I would like to know exact dimensions before I buy, obviously. Even finding stock previa spring rate, spring size, and other info is pretty tough to find on the web. At least I would have base numbers to go off of.

There is no info on the new rear spring written down. I see they are measured next to the old ones but its hard to tell, are they 15 1/4"?
    Also what was the spring rate ballpark?

Any help would be appreciated,
    Thank you
    Jonah

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Please keep in mind when I posted this thread 7 years ago, it was already 3 or 4 years old (I did a copy/paste from my post at www.toyotavanpeople.com when we started this site). It's not that I don't want to help, it's simply been over 10 years and I don't remember details (I actually had to go back and read to see what info I put there). In going back I see that along with comparative info, I also gave brand, part number, and application (it's right there in post #1). I may not have posted all available information about the springs, but all it took was about 2 minutes to google/come up with the following links:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....333369&jsn=438

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....333369&jsn=440

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....333369&jsn=439

It was a fun mod and IMO was much needed for people who may want to take their Previas off road. Although the sprngs are only 1 1/4" longer than the stock coils, they are bigger gauge and do not compress as far (thus giving a full 2" lift). No other mods are required on the rear except I'd recommend adjusting your proportion valve and perhaps adding the bump stops (all covered on page 1). If I were to do this again, I'd probably use Sienna struts or go with the way mountainhick did his. The way I did it in this thread will not allow larger tires (at least in the front), theirs will. If you search the forum I'm sure you can find the other threads on this. Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Please keep in mind when I posted this thread 7 years ago, it was already 3 or 4 years old (I did a copy/paste from my post at www.toyotavanpeople.com when we started this site). It's not that I don't want to help, it's simply been over 10 years and I don't remember details (I actually had to go back and read to see what info I put there). In going back I see that along with comparative info, I also gave brand, part number, and application (it's right there in post #1). I may not have posted all available information about the springs, but all it took was about 2 minutes to google/come up with the following links:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....333369&jsn=438

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....333369&jsn=440

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....333369&jsn=439

It was a fun mod and IMO was much needed for people who may want to take their Previas off road. Although the sprngs are only 1 1/4" longer than the stock coils, they are bigger gauge and do not compress as far (thus giving a full 2" lift). No other mods are required on the rear except I'd recommend adjusting your proportion valve and perhaps adding the bump stops (all covered on page 1). If I were to do this again, I'd probably use Sienna struts or go with the way mountainhick did his. The way I did it in this thread will not allow larger tires (at least in the front), theirs will. If you search the forum I'm sure you can find the other threads on this. Good luck. Tim

Yes my plan is to do mountainhicks way in the front, your way in the back. I have been looking at a lot of forums the last few days piecing it all together. Thank you so much for the rear spring info I believe that was the last bit of knowledge I needed to get started!

Also are Sienna struts better performance wise? or is it just because they are longer? I planned on cutting the strut plates I have now since they're new(er) the way mountainhick did to allow for larger tires.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Better? I have no idea.........pros and cons regardless. I guess you'd need to ride in each one to determine if there's a difference in performance/comfort. Either way will allow larger tires. Here's a thread where tbuyan uses Sienna struts: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...evia-Will-Lift

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 previa

Hi! new to this forum as I just bought a 1991 toyota previa. I am interested in lifting mine and I found this kit online. However I never saw it mentioned in this thread. Anyone have any experience with it?

http://journeysoffroad.com/toyota-previa-lift-kits.html

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That is mentioned in post #47 of this thread: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...w-taller-tires. Not much more information there regarding the kit, but that thread is a good read for anyone wanting to attempt this. Tim