Thread: Diesel Timing Belt

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '95 Toyota Previa Alltrac Green, '95 Toyota Previa Alltrac White

Diesel Timing Belt

If a timing belt, has supposed to have crapped, but not broken, can it be restarted? It just died while at idle and not in gear. Won't fire? Will crank, but there is no effort to start after glow has completed and no strange noise during starter trying! Thanks!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Diesel Timing Belt

I don't know specific details about these Toyota diesels, but the timing belt's job is rotating the camshaft and the camshaft opens/closes the valves. Valve timing is critical if the engine is to build compression and fire. Even if the belt just slips a couple cogs this can prevent it from running. If I remember correctly, these Toyota diesel engines are zero clearance. Zero clearance means the valves and pistons occupy the same space at different times. If the timing belt breaks or significantly slips while the engine is running, the pistons hit the valves and this usually results in serious damage. Such damage is bent or broken valves & damaged pistons. Camshafts can also snap in half during such an event. Moral of the story? Don't ever neglect or ignore timing belts. Not sure about these, but it's generally accepted that timing belts should be replaced every 60k miles. Good luck with your problem. I hope it's not serious. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    90 2ct townace 4wd

it does not take long to take off the top and middle cam belt covers, examine your cam belt. you do not have to take off the crank pulley to check the crank timing , you can check it by following this post . if in doubt of anything just ask

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ming-Mark-help

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    No vans right now :(

Is the engine a 2C-T?

Assuming it is..... I second Adam's post. It would be very simple to take off the timing belt covers and have a look. If the belt is still in tact it would be fairly straight forward, with a little patience, to check and see if the timing is ok. If it is not a 2C-T I cannot be sure my advice is on point.

Also second Tim's post. 60,000 miles, or 5 years, is the recommended interval. I have heard stories of the timing being off by one cog and not causing damage to the engine, but it generally accepted that if its off any more than that, or if the belt goes, the engine may be in a rough spot.

If you don't know when the belt was last changed, do it. It is a fairly straight forward job, especially with the manual. And that is coming from someone with very limited mechanical experience. Toyota p/n RM025E. Once again assuming you have a 2C-T engine.

Check out the wealth of information here:
    http://www.townace.plus.com/aanswers.htm

Chances are you will find what you are looking for. And definitely, any questions, ask!

Matt

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    Vandi -'93 LiteAce 2CT, Auto, 4wd, Skylite!

Didn't want to start a new thread,
    I bought my Timing Belt from rock auto
    (T098:P) Timing Belt
    Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty

the part number I got was from the toyota part catolog. 13568-69066

I used that on the rock auto site and was giving the gates number above.
    noting I got the wholesaler one for cheaper and in a generic box I am concerned the wrong belt was giving that part number and shipped.
    in the gates description is says
    Cog Quantity 177
    i count 84 ribs on the belt I was sent. if that is even what "cog quantity" means..

looking at the pictures of people installing the timing belt and all the pullys it goes around in the manual, it looks like the belt I was sent is too short.

measurments width, 3/4" and pulled tight end to end is about 15".

edit;
    Ok upon further inspection of the belt I was sent.... it clearly has the pt# T092...
    Their website startes for that #
    yer's Guide : GATES T092 Balance Shaft Belt
    DODGE POWER RAM 50 1983-1985
    DODGE RAM 50 1983-1985
    FORD BRONCO II 1985
    FORD RANGER 1985-1987
    MITSUBISHI MIGHTY MAX 1983-1985
    Please refer to catalog for application details.

so sending it back with a note of disappointment.

strike one rock auto.... :thumbsdown

Name:  T092 incorrect.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  95.8 KB
    I was a member for 2 years before I bought my van.
    Vandi-

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    89 Townace 2CT 4wd 88 Vanwagon Auto 4WD

I was going down the wormhole of Amazon/Rockauto parts doing my headgasket. I purchased a new 2ct OEM Toyota belt from Ebay for 35.00 and it even came with the service stickers. Might want to check it out.