Thread: Mikesta's 4Y Swap - Questions

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 5 speed 4x4

Mikesta's 4Y Swap - Questions

Hi all,

Just joined, long time toyota fanatic. My buddy in Seattle blew the engine in his 89 4x4. He said it spit oil everywhere and was pretty far from his home town when it blew. I called up Uship and had it shipped to me down in Missouri.

Not sure if I should do this yet. Before asking stupid question, I've read a bit and found this post helpful http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...full=1#post804

However its putting a 1987 (edit) engine in a 1989.

I have questions on the reverse - Can I strip down a 1987 Block and put all the 1989 stuff on it? The engine I found is a 131,000 mile engine and before I pull the trigger, just want to make sure its the right van.

Vin on Donor - jt4yr29b4h5 1987
    Vin on mine - jt4yr29v4k5 1989

Thanks in advance. I'd hate to see this 4x4 rig just sit for years.
    Last edited by Mikesta; 07-07-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: Mikesta's 4Y Swap - Questions

I think it's the same, just keep your electronics and manifold's n such.
    I'd be wary of any junkyard engine as you have no Idea the mileage, they could say anything-I got hosed on one, and ended up having it rebuilt.
    As for the oil flying everywhere- did it run out of oil or overheat? May just be the front crank seal. If it didn't overheat or run out of oil that engine is probably a better chance than a junkyard one.
    -Aaron.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 5 speed 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by djshimon View Post
    I think it's the same, just keep your electronics and manifold's n such.
    I'd be wary of any junkyard engine as you have no Idea the mileage, they could say anything-I got hosed on one, and ended up having it rebuilt.
    As for the oil flying everywhere- did it run out of oil or overheat? May just be the front crank seal. If it didn't overheat or run out of oil that engine is probably a better chance than a junkyard one.
    -Aaron.
    Thanks Aaron, I just wanted to confirm the block is the same. Some times newer models have more holes than the older model blocks. That is the case on the 2F Landcruiser engine. I'd hate to put an older block in there and not have holes for power steering or something.

The van still runs and drives but runs rough. The oil light is on. I haven't gotten under there yet to see whats going on. Hope to pull it in the shop here in the next few days.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I put a 1989 engine in my 1987 and same block. There's a bunch of fixes to do if you do swap engines though-lots on the forum to take note of-and make lists!
    Anyways, I'm hoping for your original engine to be ok. What's the mileage on yer van? Can we get a pic of it too?
    Edit: I was looking at your other posts for mileage and found this-"My buddie blew up his engine. Don't ask but he thought he was in 5th, but was in 3rd for 30 miles." Is this the van you have?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 5 speed 4x4

Yes thats the one. I'll try to make pictures smaller so I can post later on after work

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 5 speed 4x4

Well, might be biting off too much. The van I got from my buddie has some rust issues 1989. The Van (donor) that I have lined up is an 1986 model. Can I swap over the drive train to that van (with a good engine) and use the 86 rust free body? Are there any changes that would conflict using a

1986 2wd van body w engine (bolted behind an auto tranny)
    1989 4wd van drive train - 5 speed tranny

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 5 speed 4x4

gah found this - http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ing-2wd-to-4wd

Answer is No if I read it right. The next question was going to be can I do a body swap... but I believe thats a No too.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 5 speed 4x4

Ordered a Motor - My rig is an 89. This one came out of a 90. The block on the bad engine says 4y, the block on the 90 says 3y. It only has 90,000 miles and looks the same, just curious if the 3Y is a lesser engine, they said it was a 4yec

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

This is presumably a JDM import engine? The 4Y is a 2.2 liter. The 3Y is a smaller 2.0 liter engine that was used in the North American vans in 84 and 85 as well as most overseas markets throughout the model line and year range.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 5 speed 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    This is presumably a JDM import engine? The 4Y is a 2.2 liter. The 3Y is a smaller 2.0 liter engine that was used in the North American vans in 84 and 85 as well as most overseas markets throughout the model line and year range.
    The company I got it from said it was a 4yec, however the serial starts with 3y, and the valve cover says 3y-e and it was marked as coming out of a 1990 van

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 5 speed 4x4

I talked to texas auto salvage and they are going to make good on returning the engine, however, I'm contemplating throwing it in... it almost looks exactly the same! Once I have mine Out I'll know more.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

A 1990 toyota van in the states would be a Previa which is why I questioned the source of the the engine as possibly being JDM. My understanding, and you can search the forum for more info, is the 3Y will fit just fine as long as you put all the 4Y parts on it like intake, distributor, etc. Basically strip it to a block and head and then swap everything from the old engine. The other issue is power. The van is arguably underpowered. The horespower output appears to be around 90 vs 100. I believe the 3Y powered vans were geared differently as well. Ad to this the 4WD and a smaller engine and you may not be happy with the results. But then again you may be perfectly content.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 5 speed 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    A 1990 toyota van in the states would be a Previa which is why I questioned the source of the the engine as possibly being JDM. My understanding, and you can search the forum for more info, is the 3Y will fit just fine as long as you put all the 4Y parts on it like intake, distributor, etc. Basically strip it to a block and head and then swap everything from the old engine. The other issue is power. The van is arguably underpowered. The horespower output appears to be around 90 vs 100. I believe the 3Y powered vans were geared differently as well. Ad to this the 4WD and a smaller engine and you may not be happy with the results. But then again you may be perfectly content.
    I agree with you and you make sense. I'm not going to use this engine. I'll have them pick it up and refund me. Unless someone here wants a really clean 3y-e for $500