Thread: How to wire up LEDs to door jamb switch for courtesy lights (polarity issue?)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Previa LE S/C

How to wire up LEDs to door jamb switch for courtesy lights (polarity issue?)

I tried hooking up some courtesy LEDs I bought to the door jamb switch today, however I ran into issues with the polarity.

When the door is open and the dome light is on, I connect the LED leads and get no light.

When I close the dome light (turn it off from "door"), I connect the LED and voila... light!

I am not knowledgeable with electrical-related systems so how would I go about fixing this issue? Do I need a relay or just an in-line diode? If so, which one? Thanks in advance

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Previa LE S/C

Re: How to wire up LEDs to door jamb switch for courtesy lights (polarity issue?)

Figured it out! I have warm LED courtesy lights on each side of the the step sill/plate for the sliding door. I also added a sheet of anti-slip grit tape for security since the plastic can be slippery when wet.

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

Re: How to wire up LEDs to door jamb switch for courtesy lights (polarity issue?)

pictures please!!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Previa LE S/C

Hi fellow Bay Area Previa pilot! I'll be making another thread about my crazy all-out LED upgrade. By the way, I saw your DIY sliding door repair video on Youtube. It'll come in handy when I get around to it, thanks!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

It would have been nice if GreenLantern had explained what he did to fix the lighting after initially asking for help. A solution which was informative to others would have been a simple addition by the OP.
    Anyone had this issue, or who knows what was going on, who might care posting to save people from the same problem? This is a great-looking mod.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

similar issue to original Green Latern post. My dome lights come on/off fine with the door jam sensor, but my step light does not.

If I ground the step light with a new wire, then the step light comes on, but does not go out when I toggle the door sensor PLUS now the dome light stays on all the time.

hmmmm.