Thread: Orange diode

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Orange diode

Looking for some info on what I think is a diode. Its in the wire bundle at steering column. Orange plastic is melted. Has 3 wires red red white.
    on tvp there's a partial thread where wonder wagon references kcg795 and says that this is a diode.

My girlfriend just bought an 89 van 2wd. Headlights don't work. P.o. bypassed with wires to lights into cab and a hot wire to make them operate at night, and unhook when done driving.
    starting my trouble shoot, and found this melted orange diode. Three wires.

I did a search for orange, headlight, diode and got no matches. Has this been discussed before? Anyone have info on the wires to this diode? Maybe I can bypass if nla from toyota

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Re: Orange diode

Seems like its something for the high beams

My Van(s):

Ok, so this orange diode definately has to do with high beams. It is melted. Would it cause the headlights to not work at all?

I cannot find any replacement, so i am wondering what the work around is, i cant fing kcg's old thread about modding the headlight circuit, i am thinking maybe a couple fuses and just make the highbeams and low beams turn on when the high beam stalk switch is used? Anyone? Bueler?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

I believe, if I remember correctly that diode allows the side marker lights to come on when the turn signals are on it stops current from back feeding the headlghts ....hard to explain.........I just spliced two of the wires together and left off the one going to the marker lights or whatever they are called.....My lights died on the way to the airport on a dark and stormy night [sounds like a scary novel] thank the gods there was someone in front.....I had to run a piece of house wire from the battery to the lights temporarily

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

splice two of the three .....leave the one for the marker lights disconnected..that is what I did....took a bit of trial and error to find the right comb...NIk

My Van(s):

Thanks nikifix!

So if i can find a diode that has three legs, i could maybe splice that in? I like my marker lights. I would probably even be willing to settle for always on.
    Im trying go wrap my head around this
    So that orange diode, when i have headlights on, and also turn signal, then it supplies power to either marker light?
    Maybe i would need to look at a wiring schematic, but i would think that it would beed two diodes, one for the right side signal, and one for the left, other wise it would need other diodes elsewhere. By the way, i cannot find this diode in the wiring diagrams.

I know that if i hookup two of the wires from the diode, the high beams come on.

My Van(s):

Ok partial update. I think the previous owner put the high beam pigtails on the regular headlights, possibly causing this issue with the diode burning up?

My Van(s):

The diode has 3 wires, two red with white stripe, one just red. When the two with white stripes are touched together, a relay clicks. It is the bottom right relay in the fuse block. I dont have an 89 manual, i do have 87, and 84. I cannot find this diode in the wiring diagram... maybe im looking in the wrong spot?

Seems like fuseable links are all good, this vanbhas codes for tps, ign, and o2 sensor, and the headlight wiring was vypassed by previous owner. Name:  20150927_140741.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  87.7 KB
    Name:  20150927_135035.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  88.1 KB
    Name:  20150927_135452.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  91.7 KB