Thread: fuel leak at fuel filter

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Conversion

fuel leak at fuel filter

I replaced the fuel filter recently and after driving it today it sprung a leak. I have driven it for about an hour or so since replacing the fuel filter. The obvious thing I felt to was to tighten the fittings. Even after this I could still hear a hissing pressure sound. I feel like it has something to do with the tank being full, hot outside etc etc. I have heard that their is supposed to be a pressure vent in a fuel system. Is this true, any ideas what I can replace to keep my fuel system from springing a leak again???

Thanks, I desperately need to get this thing back on the road.

William

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: fuel leak at fuel filter

Have you looked to see exactly where the leak is coming from with the pump on? Did you use copper crush washers(preferably new ones) for the two connections at the new fuel filter? Mine has a custom rubber gas line from the filter that will probably leak at some point- maybe yours leaks from something similar?
    A gas leak is very dangerous.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Conversion

Its hard to tell exactly where the leak is but it is surely on the lower half side. I am going to replace the unit and be sure to use new washers. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Conversion

I put a another fuel filter on and noticed that the one I took off was bent on the bottom. It looks like I may have mounted it a bit to low on the sleeve and when hitting a bump in the road it got hit. Im not 100% sure how it happened but we will see how the new one acts. Hopefully no fuel leaks.