Thread: rear axle seal.. leaking gear oil

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Passenger Van

rear axle seal.. leaking gear oil

Yesterday I added some gear oil to my differential (2wd 1984) which has been leaking from the pinion oil seal. I'll be replacing that seal as soon as it comes in.
    In the mean time, I needed to drive the van probably 20 miles or so, and I noticed this morning that my left rear wheel is leaking a lot of oil at the axle. Probably more noticeable because of the oil top-off.
    Do I need to replace both my axle oil seal and the retaining gasket? Anyone have experience with this job?
    Should I go ahead and buy/install new wheel bearings?
    Thanks for the insights
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: rear axle seal.. leaking gear oil

I'd want to put it up on stands (well secured) and run it in gear, using a stethoscope (or long screwdriver against your ear bone), listen to the pinion and wheel bearings.
    Then I would pull the rear drums and see how bad things are inside but its entirely possible you will also need new shoes due to fluid contamination.
    Given the amount of work thats involved in replacing the rear axle seals, I would be inclined to go the extra mile and replace the wheel bearings while your in there.
    This assumes that the Pinion bearings are quiet, if they are loud everything changes.

Make sure you mark the rear driveshaft flange to pinion flange before dissembling.
    You'll need a slide hammer to get the rear axles out, you can usually rent them.
    Do a search and you'll find lots of info and how-to's
    BB

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Rear axel seal

I have replaced my rear axel seal 2 if not 3 times. But it continues to make mess.
    Name:  IMG_20160405_120923.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  95.0 KB

I use name brand parts. Grease the lips and install the axel gently.
    I also use sleeve lock to keep the bearing in place. Bearing is new.

It is not brake fluid.

Any advice????

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 TV 2WD

Re: Rear axelv seal

I know you've probably already checked this but I'm gonna throw this out there . Have you checked the axle breather to make sure it's not stopped up ? If it's stopped up the pressure builds inside the axle and leaks out the seals .

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Have you checked the differential vent? If that's not able to vent properly there can be a build up of pressure, causing seals to break at different parts of the axle. For me the clogged vent caused the pinion seal to bust on my van, but on my 4Runner this same issue caused the driver side of the axle to weep diff fluid just like on your van. Replaced the seals, thoroughly cleaned out the differential vent, and no more issues!

This thread helped me out btw, good luck!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Thanks,

My breather is good. When I rebuilt the diff I took the opportunity to remove the old breather and plumb my own sintered brass fitting up against the floorboard for water crossings.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Did you inspect the axle to see if there is a groove worn into it where the seal rides?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

Rear axel seals seeping

Looking for thoughts and experiences others may have had with rear axel seals seeping oil. The shop where I get my van serviced says I have this issue and the danger is that this oil will eventually seep on to the brakes. I've heard these vans are notorious for this and it is not that big of a deal or a worry as far as it reaching the brakes. Anybody out there have experience or advice? Thanks in advance!

87 4WD Standard Transmission
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-29-2016 at 01:58 PM.

9. 10-29-2016, 01:36 PM

Reason
    no longer relevant

10. 10-29-2016, 01:59 PM

Reason
    no longer relevant

11. 10-29-2016, 02:37 PM

Reason
    no longer relevant

12. 10-29-2016, 02:50 PM

Reason
    no longer relevant

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Re: Rear axel seals seeping

Eventually you'll need to add gear oil, whether it reaches the brakes or not.
    If they're the same type of axles as trucks, then its usually a couple hour job, for a $5 seal.
    Do BOTH sides! trust me

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

I had this problem with my 87 4runner, this site helped me get it back on the road. The part numbers are likely different but otherwise I don't see why the job wouldn't be the same on one of our vans. Genuine Toyota seals are best but if they are too expensive or NLA, then a set of Timkens will work fine.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    None presently

Thanks you!