Thread: Steering Wheel locked and rapid Overheating

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota VAN WAGON 2wd

Steering Wheel locked and rapid Overheating

Hi Everyone,

I was driving home this evening and suddenly noticed the steering wheel lockup and become very hard to turn. About 30 seconds later the car over-heated and I had to pull over. The radiator light came on and I figured this could be something involving belts and power steering fluid. I am probably going to tow it to a mechanic, but I want to ask if anyone has delt with this before? Incidentally, I got my oil changed three days ago and only drove it once since. I don't think both events are related, but I do wonder.

The van is an 87, automatic toyota vanwagon.

Also, can anybody recommend a mechanic in Portland, Or?

Thanks.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Steering Wheel locked and rapid Overheating

Sounds like you threw some belts. You might get lucky and just have to put on new belts. Avoiding a tow truck and mechanic always keeps the wallet a little fatter.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Sounds like you threw some belts. You might get lucky and just have to put on new belts. Avoiding a tow truck and mechanic always keeps the wallet a little fatter.
    I think you are right. But when you say belts how many are we talking potentially? I was focusing on the serpentine/drive belt but are there more that are involved?

I am very inexperienced with car maintenance. I am trying hard to find images/diagrams online of the engine. I looked the factory service manual and couldn't find anything helpful.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

The van doesn't use a sepentine belt. It has a multi-rib v-belt that goes around the crank, water pump, and alternator. Did you have any other dash lights come on? If it spit this belt than your alt is not running and water pump aren't running anymore which would cause dash lights and overheating. The power steering pump and a/c if you have that, each have their own v-belt and idler/tensioner pulleys. Their belts go around crank, idler/tensioner, and p/s pump or a/c compressor. It's possible your p/s belt or water pump belt came loose or broke and took the other belt with it stopping both your p/s pump and water pump from turning and causing the stiff steering and overheating. Lift the engine cover and look between the fan shroud and engine for shredded or missing belts.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed that two belts are completely off and another seems to be missing. The missing belt may have caused the others to fly off when it broke.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

Make sure you check the bearings in the idler pulleys. Gates seems to be the belt of choice if you can get with those.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I have an update:

The mechanic said the crank shaft is broken and I will need a new engine. This came as a surprise considering I can still drive it short distances without a lot of noise. I fear he might be right.

So, I am looking for a rebuilt engine and having no luck. Anybody know of a place to find one on the west coast?

This van is incredibly important to me and I would have a hard time letting it go.