Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EGR valve, EGR modulator

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '87 4WD LE

EGR valve, EGR modulator

When I first bought my van, the cat. converter was blocked, which I've read could have some negative effects on the EGR system. Occasionally, my van has a tough time starting (1 out of every 10 times, it runs real rough after startup until I rev the engine up for 15 seconds or so) and I can hear some piston slap when the engine is cold, but other than that, after getting the lifters replaced, it's been running great. I'm planning on replacing the TPS soon and cleaning the throttle body, so I'm wondering if I should also go ahead and replace the EGR valve and modulator. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to tell if this is necessary? Also, if I don't end up replacing them, is it a good idea to at least clean them up? Lastly, if I do decide to replace them, does anyone have a lead on a source? I haven't been able to find them anywhere online.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 5-speed 2WD LE 300k+ miles 1985 5-speed 2WD DLX 145k miles

Re: Time to replace the EGR valve?

I'm wondering the same thing…
    Anyone…?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    84 van LE rat rod project

I'd recommend cleaning it out with some carb cleaner, just make sure you don't dislodge something and cause your valve to stick.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd Cargo Van Country Homes pop up conversion.

EGR vacuum control solenoid modulator

hi ya'll,
    anyone know if these are available anymore? My '87 4wd Van Wagon DX is in the shop and the mechanic says it needs to be replaced. The part # they provided me is 25870-61001. Couldn't find anything that clearly states it will work for this engine. Or, does anyone have one in good working condition that I can purchase? They also mentioned that the van is idling high, is it possible that the two are related? any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm super excited to get my van back, I just had the engine rebuilt, and a long list of other "while you're at it" items done and can't wait to drive it.

thanks,
    Derek

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Re: EGR vacuum control solenoid modulator

I'm not sure that's the right part number. I had just pulled one off of my junk van, I thought I had brought it home with me but I just checked and it must still be with the van otherwise I'd be able to say for sure. Anyways, I have a spare one, PM me if you're interested.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

I have experimented with these and most of them are interchangeable. As long as they have the Ports Q, P and R you are fine. I have one from a Celica on my Van and it passed smog just fine.

Here is another one I bought for the Van and it worked. $14 bucks free shipping
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/301642070189...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd Cargo Van Country Homes pop up conversion.

Awesome, thanks that part number was off by one digit it is: 25870-61011. I'll probably get that one off ebay if it'll work, thanks JPERL for the link. Thanks AD2101 for offering to send yours, I'll let you know if the other one doesn't work out. The other part I need is the float sensor off the oil pan PN: 89491-27020. I'll look in the for sale listings but AD2101 if that is something you might have I'd be interested.

many thanks!

Derek

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Thanks for the part number. i pulled my throttle body today and found this:
    looks like somehow this got disconnected (assume by PO when he did some work on it) and it melted a hole

Name:  IMG_0115.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0118.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  86.6 KB

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

the EGR valve (toyota part number 25620-73070) is NLA. does anyone know if theres another one that works with our vans? i pulled apart my throttle body today and mine looks like it could use replacement as long as I'm replacing the modulator and TPS.

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

I still have one of these lying around if you wanted it, otherwise JPERL is on to something here and you could probably use a bunch of different modulators and get away with it.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Appreciate the offer, i actually think ill try one of those new replacements JPERL mentioned and see how it works. looking at the photo it looks identical so ill give it a try!

I'm actually thinking i might need a new EGR as well, but looks like they're NLA. dont see any aftermarket ones either. wonder if another toyota year/model would fit?

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by mistershmi View Post
    Appreciate the offer, i actually think ill try one of those new replacements JPERL mentioned and see how it works. looking at the photo it looks identical so ill give it a try!

I'm actually thinking i might need a new EGR as well, but looks like they're NLA. dont see any aftermarket ones either. wonder if another toyota year/model would fit?

Here's an exact cross reference match for this part number, it's still being used all the way up to 2004 but in Japan. Could be the same here in the US but under another superceed part number?

Good luck!!

JDM

Check it out-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

A bit pricey. But here is an OEM on ebay. I believe the EGR fits all years. Not just 1st gen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-OEM-8...tYmB49&vxp=mtr

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

holy smokes thats expensive. 400 dollars! is there a way to test my EGR to verify its functioning properly? can you rebuild an EGR? I'm replacing the TPS and cleaning the throttle body (taking of the intake as well to replace the exhaust gasket) and just replacing as much as i can to hopefully resolve the van running very rich and gain back some horsepower ha ha

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

To Test EGR:

I have never had to replace and EGR valve. Usually the EGR modulator went bad

Apply vacuum to the vacuum line that comes off the top of the EGR and goes in to the EGR modulator valve. If you don't have the tool to apply vacuum and don't mind getting intimate with your Van you could suck on the vacuum hose and if the engine runs rough or stalls your EGR is fine.

Alternately, you could also temporarily attach a longer vacuum line to the EGR port and temporarily connect it to the vacuum port on the intake plenum that feeds the FPR VSV and FPR, if you don't want to put that dirty hose in your mouth. This port on the plenum has suction and so if you connect this line and the engine dies or runs rough the EGR is fine.

They have doubled the price of the EGR I think because they are the only game in town. Its going to get increasingly challenging to keep these vans on the road as parts supplies evaporate.

a bad EGR would likely cause a lean condition and the engine would run like crap at idle or stall. If your state tests for emissions you would have high NoX emissions and it would not pass if the EGR was bad

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE

Re: EGR valve, EGR modulator

smoke testing my vacuum system for leaks, there was a lot of smoke (vapor) coming out of the egr valve and egr modulator. Is this normal?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa SC, RWD, Auto

Quote Originally Posted by whatvan View Post
    smoke testing my vacuum system for leaks, there was a lot of smoke (vapor) coming out of the egr valve and egr modulator. Is this normal?
    No. with everything off, that should be closed. Even as you go through testing things electronically/pneumatically, I don't think it should ever vent like that.
    -Russell
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
    -95 Previa SC RWD
    -05 Subaru Baja Turbo, 03 Subaru Baja NA, 01 BMW R1200c, 94 Firebird v8, 70 VW Beetle

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE

Having some EGR issues in my '88 le 4x4. Bought a used EGR Modulator from someone parting out an '86 DX.

Was going to buy the EGR Valve as well, but was informed about a difference in the part numbers ('86 PN 25620-73010 and '88 4x4 PN 25620-73070) so I'm curious. With toyota making some changes to help the heat soak issues in the 88/89 years, are these actually different parts, or does the '88 PN just supersede the '86 PN?

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

I looked up the part nu berss on Toyotapartsdeal and it showed that the parts are not interchangeable (based on the info given) sorry I have no hands on experience to give you a accurate answer,

JDM

My Van(s):

I'm wondering if the difference is California CARB compliance? FWIW, the parts van and my other '86 van both have PN 25620-73010 stamped on the EGR; both appear to be 50-state compliant. I'll pop the seat on my '88 4x4 and check the emissions label sticker next to the coolant overflow bottle as well as the PN on the valve itself and edit this post accordingly.