Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ball joints (4WD)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd auto LE 87 4wd 5spd

Re: ball joints (4WD)

I pmd you ...

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Yeah, sorry I missed the first attempt, sent you a PM.
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Has anyone found a source for just the lower balljoint boots?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Check post #6 on page 1 of this thread

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Check post #6 on page 1 of this thread

K, I looked but it's for a new complete balljoint. I was wondering if anyone had a source for just the dustboot. Mines ripped on the front driver side, but the joint is in good shape itself. Did I miss it?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota 4wd LE manual

Re: 4wd ball joints

Hi & welcome to TVT! That's very interesting that these are available on Amazon for so cheap (Toyota discount sites are selling for around $350 now). I checked the EPC and verified this is the correct part number (for left side upper). Although the ones on Amazon are using a Toyota part number, I can't help but think these must be Chinese reproductions. None the less, I couldn't resist the price and I purchased a set of them. FYI, the 4wd van uses 4 unique ball joints. 2 on the left (upper and lower) and 2 on the right (these are mirror image & non interchangeable from side to side). The lowers are just simple ball joints, but the uppers are integral with the upper control arm (if a ball joint fails you need to replace the entire upper control arm). Until you posted about the Amazon ones, I wasn't aware these were available from anywhere except Toyota (thank you). Here are the part numbers for 87 - 89 4wd Toyota Van ball joints:

Upper left control arm w/ball joint #48067-28050

Upper right control arm w/ball joint #48066-28050

Lower left ball joint #43340-29116

Lower right ball joint #43330-29166

Regarding the noise in your front end, don't just assume it's the ball joints. You'll want to get under there and check to verify before replacing.

The easy way is to take your van in for a front end alignment. If the tech knows what he's doing he'll check these before trying to align. By law they are required to check and are not allowed to align if these parts are worn beyond spec. If that's the case, they'll tell you about it. These ball joints are pretty tough, so I suspect your factory ones are still good. When the front suspension makes noise, it's usually due to dry upper control arm bushings. On the 4wd there are plugs you can pull out & install grease zerks. It's not a bad idea to get up in there from time to time with a grease gun. Tim
    Tim, I just ordered the left front upper control arm and ball joint from Moog, they said it fits 88 4wd TV but I am a bit doubtful. Do you know anything about the Moog control arms? I was just reading all your info on the ones you got from amazon. How do you like the aftermarket ones from febestparts? I also got a left outer tie rod end from Moog as well. Just being cautious.

Thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you give me the part numbers you ordered I can tell you if they will fit. I know Moog sells these control arms for 2wd vans (I just replaced uppers and lowers on mine with Moog), but I doubt they have them for 4wd's............ I could be wrong. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota 4wd LE manual

If you give me the part numbers you ordered I can tell you if they will fit. I know Moog sells these control arms for 2wd vans (I just replaced uppers and lowers on mine with Moog), but I doubt they have them for 4wd's............ I could be wrong. Tim

Thanks Tim, I did try the Moog but unfortunately it did not fit, it has a totally different configuration from the 4wd upper control arms. But I did order the ones you had mentioned in your thread from amazon. Fingers crossed.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota van 4wd

I found a set of 4wd upper control arms on eBay from FEBEST for $65 shipped from Florida. You can find them with the OEM part numbers, 48066-29050 & 48067-28050. They also have them listed under the replacement part numbers, 0124-CM60RH & 0124-CM60LH.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

$65 each is a great deal, I spent about $150 each to ship them from Europe about two years ago because I wanted to have a set in case they disappeared. Good to see them being sold stateside now.
    Space Cruisers - Cruising Across The Galaxy

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4WD Manual

Also available on Amazon. I assume there's a typo in the part #'s, should be: 48066-28050 & 48067-28050 (28050 for the end of each, not 29050 for one of them).

The seller (Finest Auto Parts) appears to be direct from Febest, based on the email in their profile.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota van 4wd

Yes, thanks. That was a typo. Should be 28050

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota van

I though https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-145622-...87+Toyota+Vant the upper control arms ball joint wasn't replaceable unless you bought the whole arm? what is this?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbechtold View Post
    I though https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-145622-...87+Toyota+Vant the upper control arms ball joint wasn't replaceable unless you bought the whole arm? what is this?
    That's for a 2wd van. Front suspension on the 4wd is totally different from the 2wd. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota van

yes I am aware of that, I just have not visually seen the difference. The reason I ask.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The 4wd vans have cast iron upper control arms with the ball joints physically cast/formed into them (all 1 piece). The 2wd uses stamped steel upper control arms with bolt-on ball joints. If you search the site for "ball joints" I'm sure you'll find pics of both. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota van

So is this the 4wd upper?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I don't know what that is for, but it's not a Toyota Van. I just did a search under "ball joint" and easily found multiple examples. Here's a link that will take you to a post that shows 4wd and 2wd upper control arms side by side:

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...0695#post20695

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

I wanted to post a review of the Febest upper control arms. They've held up to some rough off-roading despite their flimsy appearance (compared to OEM) but after 2 years and 12,000 miles I noticed the boots are torn and there is no grease left in the joint. GRRR... that's some seriously crappy rubber. It's been asked earlier in this thread, but any recommendations on replacing just the boot? I sure as hell don't want to replace the arms again if I don't have to. I noticed Rockauto has just the right control arm from Dorman for $69... looks like a similar casting as the Febest ones. Too bad there's nothing else available...

Looks like Febest sells just the boot on Amazon for $21.95, almost a third of the price of the whole assembly! But why would I want to get another part that lasts only two years? I guess I'll measure the joint and try to find a universal fit replacement.
    Last edited by Hammervan; 07-12-2021 at 10:11 PM.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

thanks for the review/update..seems to be par for the course with aftermarket parts especially cv boots on the reman shafts...good to hear the joint is still tight after 12k and a fair bit of offroad? maybe finding some oem toyota boot will be the ticket and just replacing it before install..my oem with 255k are still tight and intact...amazing