Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ball joints (4WD)

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 4wd

Re: 4wd ball joints

I finally got around to replacing the sway bar bushings, and the cushions on the link bolts and after a test drive that's definitely what was making all the knocking noise. Years of grime and corrosion made these bolts a real pain and caused me to snap one of the bolts off in the lower control arm and one of the sway bar links. I spent a lot of time drilling out the broken off piece and I was going to replace the link bolt but when i called my local dealer, they quoted me over 90 bucks for the thing, and said there was only 1 left in the country out in CA. So i welded it back together hopefully it holds. I replaced all the hardware with new stainless pieces. There is still a very subtle knock but much much quieter now, plus it handles noticeably better and just has a more solid feel when driving. thanks for the help glad I didn't jump straight to the ball joint.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Just got an email today saying they were all out of the left side ball joints so I called them and question why is it still showing available on Amazon and on eBay? They said it was a mistake and they currently are all out of stock and to call back on Friday to see if the shipment comes in. I told them not a problem .

well then 1 hour later I got a email saying the package has been shipped and both items were being sent. I also got another email from the shipper and a copy of the invoice stating the parts were shipped and both ball joints were coming.

I guess I'll find out next week, I'll keep you posted.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Now it says they have 2 lefts and 1 right in stock .

My Van(s):

I received only the right side arm, they said the left side was out of stock. I called and emailed the rep and he told me to check back on Friday, so I did and they told me it hadn't come in. Today I looked online and it said they had 3 available so I went ahead and ordered it and
    paid extra for expedited shipping which means it'll be coming from the international warehouse.

Tim looks like you got the last pair of them
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 02-01-2015 at 12:52 AM.

My Van(s):

Tim have you tried out those new upper arms? I'm still on the waiting list for the left, I don't think they'll be sending anymore to North America any time soon.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

No, I don't have an immediate use for them. I've been building a mini parts warehouse here that I add to whenever I see good deals. When I do a major project it helps to be well stocked . Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5sp 4WD custom westy

I got the last ones at CQout. Not to sure if I will get them though, that site seems kind of dodgy. Hopefully they arrive as described.

My Van(s):

Really?? What a coincidence I just emailed Finest Auto on Sunday about this part and they replied that they didn't have it. If you get the left upper arm please let us know.

Thank you

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by CleverUserName View Post
    I got the last ones at CQout. Not to sure if I will get them though, that site seems kind of dodgy. Hopefully they arrive as described.
    Did you ever get these?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5sp 4WD custom westy

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Did you ever get these?
    Nothing. It's been about a month. I'm guessing it's a "buy now wait till we get some in" scenario.

I think I will contact them and ask what is going on. Thanks for the reminder.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5sp 4WD custom westy

Did you ever get these?
    DO NOT do business with Finest auto parts in FL http://www.finestautoparts.com/

THEY SUCK. Communication was non-existent. I had to send 2 emails and called 3 times to get anywhere with these clowns. Waited a week and no credit issued after requested. Lots of lies and excuses from them. Had to do a chargeback on my CC for non receipt of goods.

CQout also banned me from their site because of the chargeback.

I hope amazon gets some more in. I

If anybody wants to sell a set of control arms send me a message.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Looks like Finest Auto Parts is trying to sell a right side on eBay for $50 (last one for sale in US?): http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGHT-UPPER-...3D251892582381, but no lefts are to be found anywhere............unless you count Europe and Australia. Febest's European website says they're in stock, but the price is ~$113 when converted to USD........and that doesn't include shipping (assuming they would ship). Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5sp 4WD custom westy

Looks like Finest Auto Parts is trying to sell a right side on eBay for $50 (last one for sale in US?): http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGHT-UPPER-...3D251892582381, but no lefts are to be found anywhere............unless you count Europe and Australia. Febest's European website says they're in stock, but the price is ~$113 when converted to USD........and that doesn't include shipping (assuming they would ship). Tim
    I was told by Finest Auto Parts these control arms are not available. Checked by part # and description. They list items which they don't have, then ignore all communications requesting shipping # or refund. Numerous lies and excuses. Poor communication. Terrible CS.

My guess is they make money of people who buy stuff and forget about it. After 90 days no chargeback is possible, so if you forget about a purchase and then remember after 3 months your SOL. Don't have any other guesses why this place would operate this way. Read the negative feedback on EBAY. My experience is similiar.

Don't waste your time with them.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Looks like Febest Europe has taken over these Amazon listings (see the links on post #2 this thread). Price is up to $107, but they ship for free. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

I tried to order these and Amazon said they were unable to ship them to my location. Perhaps this is because I am in the USA and Febest is not??

Then, following febest.com links that Tim posted earlier, I found the right upper control arm for $50.88. Shipping in the USA is free. They are currently out of left upper control arms.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That's weird. When I was on there yesterday both sides were $107 and both shipped from Europe Febest w/free shipping. They had (6) lefts and (8) rights in stock. Now I see the right says only (1) left and it's from Finest auto parts for only $50 (see earlier comment from cleverusername regarding them). I wonder why they would even list Europe Febest as having these available w/free shipping if they will not ship to US. It's not like we're viewing these on Europe's Amazon. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

To clarify, I tried to order them on Amazon after seeing your last post, Tim. And, I wondered the same thing: "Why would these be viewable at amazon.COM when they won't ship to USA?". I sent an email to febest, via amazon, to inquire as to why they would not ship to USA. As of this moment I see 6 left-side ($107.95) and 1 right-side ($50.88) available from amazon and sold by febest.

In any case, $50.88 at febestparts.com (post #8 of this thread) is great! I hope they have nothing to do with "Finest Auto Parts". I shall report my febestparts.com customer experience here at TVT.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The one for $50 states right on the listing (upper right) "Sold by Finest Auto Parts" (says that right above the "add to cart" button). Out of curiosity I just purchased it and see another one popped back up (only 1 available and still "Sold by Finest Auto Parts"). I guess it's kind of like those "going out of business" sales that never end. If it ever comes I'll report here. If not, I'll complain to Amazon and see about getting them into trouble. Tim

PS: If it comes, I'll try and get one from Febest Europe to see if they like me better than you.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

The one for $50 states right on the listing (upper right) "Sold by Finest Auto Parts"
    My bad. I mixed up the seller and the manufacturer.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Just got home and found this email waiting for me:

We're writing to inform you that your order from Finest Auto Parts has been canceled because the item you purchased is out of stock. Please return and place your order again at a later time. We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused...................

I find this funny, because immediately after I placed the order (for the last one) another "last one" became available. So why cancel my order? How about you put "Item currently unavailable" in the listing so people don't waste their time. Idiots