Thread: How To Gain Some HP and TQ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 Town Ace TD 5-speed 4WD

How To Gain Some HP and TQ

Hey guys, first post here. I've had this '89 Town Ace for about 2 months now. Just got it titled in California...don't ask me how. Anyways, I love the van, it's my DD, but it's slow as hell. I also own a '93 Dodge Ram with the Cummins Turbo Diesel and when I opened the hood of my Towny I couldn't help but notice the fuel pump looks just like the one on my Dodge...only a little smaller. I found this video on how to really get the most out of the Cummins pump here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv3f...EUkqA&index=14 and since it's obvious the Towny pump is a clone, I wondered if the same things would work.

Well, I didn't want to get too crazy because I don't want to blow up this motor, but just enough to keep up with traffic would make me happy. I'm happy to report my van is up to par with acceleration now. I only did one thing the same as that video, I turned up the maximum fuel screw ONE TURN. That's it. I didn't touch the fuel pin, smoke screw, star wheel or any of that. I simply backed off the lock nut on the fuel screw and turned in the screw 1 turn. It made a big difference in performance. I no longer have to floor the gas pedal constantly just to keep up with traffic. I feel this is even less stressful on the engine because I don't have to wind it out to 4k rpm anymore. I shift comfortably at 3k rpm now even while merging onto the freeway.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my discovery. I've had it like this for a few days now and I've noticed no issues. Coolent temp still never gets to halfway and it's 100+ degrees here in SoCal right now. My next mod will be a free flowing exhaust and then that's it for performance stuff. I'm actually very happy with the power level now.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    No vans right now :(

Re: How To Gain Some HP and TQ

Thanks for the heads up 89 ace. I'd be curious to know if someone had adjusted yours in the past. My van is by no means fast (in fact its pretty slow slogging up steep hills/passes) but on the highway in general I have no problem cruising a steady 65+mph (I don't let her go faster than that, but thats my problem ) with enough acceleration to gently pass the folks going really slow.

Glad to hear you got it ironed out. I'll keep that in mind!!

Matt

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Hey thanks Matt. Yeah I mean my van could keep up with traffic no problem before either, but maybe it's just all the asshole drivers here in California that made me feel slow. Every time I merged on the freeway I had some jerk on my tail and cars would try to pass me. I actually felt it was dangerous to deal with this on a daily basis. So by turning up the fuel it's really just to help with acceleration. You should give it a shot and see how you like it. I wouldn't go back now, the power is addicting. You will get some black smoke at full throttle, but it's actually kind of nice to have a "weapon" to get people off your butt and it works like a charm.

My Van(s):
    1989 JDM 4x4 Diesel HiAce

Thanks for sharing 89Townace.

I'm from SoCal as well and also recently purchased an '89 van. It's a JDM HiAce / 4x4 Diesel with A/T and 46,000 original miles. It was shipped over from Japan and then put in storage a few hours after I received it because I had to take off for Alaska to work for the summer. I'll be headed back down south in about a 6 weeks and anxious to get-to-know my van. Driving it home from the shipping container lot I did notice a lack of power but it was expected as I had read up on the vans for awhile before the purchase. Anyway, I'm very interested in hearing about your exhaust mod when you get to it. Are you simply planning a cat delete or something different/more?

Mine is currently set up as an 7 passenger van but my build will be focused on a camper rig for surfing and fishing in Baja.

Don't know where you're located in CA but if your close maybe we can connect when I'm back and geek out on our new vans.

I was able to title my van in Alaska since I have residency here. It was pretty simple with the proper paperwork from the importer. And cheap. $115 for the title and 2 year registration. Gotta love Alaska. And like my other Baja rigs, it will also have old school Alaska plates.
    Last edited by BajaHiAce; 08-23-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Dude yes when you're in SoCal we need to meet up. You don't happen to be a millright do you? My buddy just left for Alaska for work as well. Anyways I just wanted to respond quickly as I'm elbow deep in another project at the moment. PM me and I'll give you my cell #. My name is Mark.

Oh really quick I ordered my custom plates today. They say VAN DSEL. Stupid I know, but if made me laugh.

My Van(s):
    1989 JDM 4x4 Diesel HiAce

PM sent Mark. Good pic on the plates.