Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Gain Some HP and TQ

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    Vandi -'93 LiteAce 2CT, Auto, 4wd, Skylite!

Re: How To Gain Some HP and TQ

hypothetically ...
    \ /
    if someone where to cut off and steal my CAT, and then for some odd reason my muffler fell off (rust and such, you know these well taken care of yotas).... and I found some piping I could clamp on to get the exhaust piping from underneath the van, no carbonmanoxcide poisoning please ( https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...t+pipe&pos=461), what would be the mechanical problems that would develop over an extended period of time?

location I am at, Sucklahoma, has no yearly inspections.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COlEJgABJAQ/

^^ lets hope that link pulls up the right pic.
    I was a member for 2 years before I bought my van.
    Vandi-

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
    hypothetically ...
    \ /
    if someone where to cut off and steal my CAT, and then for some odd reason my muffler fell off (rust and such, you know these well taken care of yotas).... and I found some piping I could clamp on to get the exhaust piping from underneath the van, no carbonmanoxcide poisoning please...

About a month ago I noticed my exhaust was pretty rusted and had a leak around the middle the way down the length of the van. There's a point at which you can just unbolt most of the exhaust after the little flexible joint. Pretty much right where my leak was. I thought that flexible joint thing was a cat at first, but its not.

Long story short, I just unbolted it there and removed the whole thing. It feels like it has a little more power, can't say its a ton but its something. Its actually not that loud because of the turbo and I've been driving around with no exhaust for the last month. Just idling and driving around real easy, its not that loud at all, but you can definitely hear it when I step on the pedal hard. I plan on leaving it this way unless I start noticing fumes. Probably just put a straight pipe on there to move the fumes away farther. Added bonus: you can't hear the kids complaining in the back cause it drowns them right out! Probably works for parents, in-laws, spouses, and significant others too!

In case you're curious, I live in California but the van is smog exempt so no worries there.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

thats great news!

Thanks for the info.

I tried to watch some youtubers who cut theirs off and was discussing the results but couldn't complete watching a whole video.
    which means Ill have to give it a try.
    Vandi-

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

UODATE:

Name:  ex.full.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  100.4 KB

Name:  muff.bad.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  97.4 KB

Glad I did it, the muffler was bad and I didn't even know.

not really any louder, I can clearly hear the turbo whistle, which is what I wanted
    Also, weight reduction bro.

I'll be watching the MPG and see if any help there.
    Last edited by Andywear; 05-30-2021 at 08:45 AM.
    Vandi-

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Andywear View Post

I'll be watching the MPG and see if any help there.
    city and very little highway this tank, 23MPG and that is with me gassing it under bridges and in tunnels

Name:  cat.delete.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  87.3 KB

One issue I have noticed is, when in gear, with no throttle, just let off the brake peddle and let it creep, like backing out of the garage, the van shakes. If I give it throttle or put in natural or park the shake disappears. I wonder if the air / fuel mix needs adjusted now that there is less resistance, back pressure from the cat/muffler, I guess?
    Last edited by Andywear; 06-17-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added pic
    Vandi-