Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Leak

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Power Steering Leak

Quick question. There is a leak where the top PW steering hose connects to the PWR steering motor. Is there an o-ring that needs to be replaced under those two/three bolts?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Power Steering Leak

The pump could be leaking from a few spots, but the most common spot is this easy to replace o-ring at the top of the pump (where the supply line goes in). It's just 2 screws and you're there. You could just go down to the local hardware store and match-up your garden variety o-ring, but you'd be taking a chance it may not be compatible with the PS fluid (which by the way is just Dextron ATF). I've actually used water faucet o-rings in my PS pump and so far they're holding . To play it safe, you could go to Rock Auto and purchase a Power Steering Pump Seal Kit. EDELMANN Part # 8598 will work and it sells for about $20. It comes with the correct o-ring along with the other PS pump seals. Here's a picture showing you the most common leak point. Good luck. Tim

PS: Be sure to put some plastic or something over your alternator before pulling that line.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd LE

that o-ring is also available from any toyota dealer for around $3 if you don't want the whole rebuild kit. It would probably have to be ordered though.

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

I replaced that O-Ring. Getting that top to come off was a little tricky and to put back on but anyways where else do these leak from? I have suspect my pump to still be leaking somewhere from underneath but am not 100% sure.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I suppose it could leak from any of the seals, but the other common spot I've found is the o-ring that seals the flow control port on the engine side of the pump. It's too tight to access with the pump installed, so the entire thing will need to come off before you can change it. Since it's tight quarters here, it's even hard to verify a leak from this port with the pump installed. If the fluid is leaking down the engine side of the pump and then dripping on the alternator, it's a pretty safe bet that this is the spot it's leaking from. Once the pump is off you'll need a small set of snap-ring pliers and a small screwdriver. Slightly depress the flow control valve cap with the screwdriver (to relieve pressure against the snap-ring), then remove it using the snap ring pliers. The cap has a spring pushing against it and it's easy to lose parts if the spring launches the cap. The o-ring goes in the groove that runs the periphery of the cap. Here's an illustration. Tim

BTW, the o-ring on the suction port (previous post) is Toyota Part #96711-19013. The o-ring on the flow control port cap (this post) is part #96711-19014.

Here's a couple other power steering related threads:
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...g-system-noise
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...alot-of-fluid!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5sp

After removing my alternator, which is clearly covered in ATF fluid, I am trying to determine where the leak is coming from? Using Tim's picture from above as a reference, it appears that the leak originates at the seam, just to the right of the two bolts. Does this make sense as a place for the leak?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

A leak from anywhere is possible, I was just pointing out the only 2 places I've seen leaks from. If you find another spot that leaks, please take some pics and post them. This will help the next guy identify his problems. Thanks for your contributions to the forum. Tim

PS: If you can't be sure where it's leaking from, you might think about getting that seal kit I talked about earlier and change all the seals, o-rings, and gaskets. Good luck.

My Van(s):

New power steering pump leak and its not coming from the Oring Tim has pictured above. Probably because I replaced that not too long ago. Is there a gasket inbetween these 2-3 bolts?

Check the picture I have attached. Dont know how to make it bigger, hope you can see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):

Back in november when my power steering pump was leaking, I purchased the seal kit and with a mechanic we took apart the whole PS pump and replaced all the seals. From where it is leaking in the picture, that leak stopped but it was still leaking from underneath.

Tonight my alternator passed away. 5 months later. due to the continued leak. I had even placed a few pieces of cardboard underneath to prevent it but.

Moral of the story, If your ps pump is leaking internally and not from the top, In my opinion I would probably just purchase a refurbished one. We tried to rebuild it with the seal kit but it didnt turn out well because it was still leaking.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sorry to hear about that. I personally have never had a pump I couldn't seal, but I know it's probably just a matter of time. The only other leak I had (other than the 2 I talked about earlier) was odd..........probably a fluke). If you look at the picture below you can see a spot that looks like somebody drilled a hole and jammed a ball bearing in it. Anyhow, I had a leak from this spot and when I looked close it appeared the ball bearing had fallen out. I ended up tapping the hole & stuck a machine screw in it. I put a little Teflon tape on the threads & never had another problem.

My Van(s):

You know Tim now that I think about it, it might be leaking from there. I will try to look and check it again tomorrow but I guess the only way you can confirm is by pulling the whole pump and inspecting it.

Other then that can you recommend a refurbished brand? Or does Toyota even sell these new?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5sp

I am finally at the point where I need to replace my faulty PS pump. I have attached a picture and circled where I believe the leak to be. (the middle section, if looking at the exploded view of PS pump above)

Would this be a worthy candidate for a new, Power Steering Pump replacement or a cheap but time consuming Power Steering Pump Seal Kit?

Regardless, I will probably follow this link http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum...php?f=2&t=4413 however, I plan to remove alternator prior to PS surgery.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'm not sure if this is still available through Toyota or not, but the current MSRP is $441.73...........IMO this means "unavailable" (who in their right mind would pay that much?). The last "rebuilt" one I purchased was off of www.rockauto.com. I purchased their cheapest one for around $60 (A-1 Cardone I believe). Their more expensive rebuilds may be okay, but I don't believe the one I got was actually rebuilt. It was painted pretty and looked nice, but it started leaking right after I installed it. It ended up having a leaky o'ring on the flow control port (as shown above). When I took it apart that o-ring was badly worn and brittle (crumbled in my hands as I removed it). Omicronmike (member here) had a similar experience with an inexpensive rebuild. If I were to get another rebuilt one, I'd probably spring a little more $$$ and try one in the medium price range. If I were strapped for cash, I'd probably opt for changing seals/gaskets in a used pump. Tim

My Van(s):

Has any one come up with some fancy ideas to protect their alternator from the power steering pump?

My Van(s):

Hey Tim do you remember the size of the bolt you used for the power steering. Pump?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It was either a 10-32 or 10-24 machine screw that I cut to about 3/16" long. I think I had to drill it just slightly for the correct diameter, then I used a bottoming tap.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Verso

Nice tips and useful for me. I am also face this problem one time and then i am repair steering leaking from workshop because i have no idea that time how i can fix but now this post help me to solve this problem.thanks

My Van(s):

So my mechanic decided to weld the bottom instead of sticking a screw in there. It is still leaking now after installed but less then it was before. For some reasons the steering has become jerky and rough since this job and I was wondering if that hole is necessary for the pump to work right? Who knows, but maybe it is my actual power steering resevior that is clogged up and needs to be cleaned out since it has never been done. But it wasnt this bad before.

My Van(s):

Name:  PSPUMP.jpg
Views: 5141
Size:  46.0 KB

So its been almost two weeks since I installed this new/reman pump from BBB industries and I'm proud to say it is not leaking.

This can be a viable option for those who want to replace their pumps with a good one. I spent the extra $20-$30 and got this one because of all the issues I had with my other one.

With my other one we started of buying a seal kit from ebay. We were able to stop 99% of the leaks except for the one at the bottom which leaked through the wheep hole. Then we removed the pump again and my mechanic welded it shut. It didnt work and was still leaking. This is the best way.

Also I plan to keep those cardboard pieces there so if it ever starts leaking again this is a good indication.

Here is a link to the PS I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBB-INDUSTRI...a58744&vxp=mtr

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd work van 87 4wd play van

Just finished installing a rebuilt alternator and a rebuilt power steering pump (A1 Cardone from Rock Auto) last night. Noticed a small puddle of PS fluid under the car this morning and hoped it was residual from the draining/refill process. Alas, there was a puddle everywhere I parked today. When I got home I looked things over and couldn't see any sign of leakage where the pressure line and return hose attach. Used a mirror to check the flow control port and, sure enough, it was leaking like crazy. I guess that confirms the a "quality" of the Cardone rebuilds. I think they put all their energy into verbage describing what a great, thorough job they do and none into actually doing it.
    I pulled the cap on the flow control port and found what appears to be a new, but damaged O-ring. When I tried to reassemble with a new o-ring, the cap wouldn't slide into the port very far. After several attempts, I noticed that the cap was deformed. Using the cap from my old PS pump with the new o-ring it slid into place with minimal resistance. It's all back together now, working correctly and not leaking so far.
    Last edited by bigeo; 10-20-2013 at 06:14 PM.