Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Leak

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Re: Power Steering Leak

I would remove the hose in question. Take it to a hydraulics shop and ask if they can copy it.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van LE 4x4

Thanks Tim, as always you have just the information that I seem to need.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 toyota van

Hey so my pump is leaking and I'm gonna attempt to rebuild it but I don't have a toyota van people account and I signedup but account never got verified so I can't really view anything does anyone else have a write up on rebuilding it I searched and came up with nothing or maybe just take a screen shot from that website thanks !

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's a PDF from the service manual that shows the process:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Power steering fluid leak, how to fix?

See attached pictures. is there a gasket or something that should be keeping this from leaking? not sure exactly how this fitting/coupling works but its leaking between that silver plate and the housing, appears to be specifically from that spot in the 3rd photo. recommendations/instructions on how to fix would be great

Name:  IMG_3176.jpg
Views: 8431
Size:  97.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_3177.jpg
Views: 2308
Size:  95.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3178.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  97.6 KB

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Power steering fluid leak, how to fix?

This is a common problem and with that said there's also few threads on the repairs....

Read this thread-

MOD EDIT — threads merged

And it'll take you on a journey of Tim's World of repairs and other links that are related.

Also remember to use the search feature at the top right and then you can add your comments to the existing thread or just read to obtain more knowledge...more knowledge...more knowledge!!!

Good luck and keep us posted

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

awesome, exactly what i was looking for! tim is a van wizard. I have a hard time finding things with the search function apparently...

i'll order a new seal and inspect for other leaks but hopefully its just this one. looks like a super easy fix!

thanks again! ill post to this thread again if i run into any other unique problems.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

just wanted to update this and say it was the o-ring. pulled that off (it drained quite a bit more fluid than i expected so anyone reading this make sure you have a container of some sort to catch it all) and the o-ring was totally hardened and cracked in pieces when trying to take it off. new o-ring is in and it no more leaking

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    To play it safe, you could go to Rock Auto and purchase a Power Steering Pump Seal Kit. EDELMANN Part # 8598 will work and it sells for about $20.
    I have a leak coming from the bolt that leads to the pressure line (red arrow pointing to the leak in image). If I turn the steering wheel when stopped, I can see the PS fluid seep out of this joint. Do you know if I can fix this with the Edelmann kit? I read in another thread someone that fixed this problem but now I can't find it again . I'll keep looking.

Name:  IMG_2898.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  94.0 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

There's an o-ring there that's supposed to seal that spot. It's likely hardened and flat/cracked. To get at it, simply unscrew that fitting, remove the old o-ring, and slide the new one onto the fitting and into the relieved area right behind the hex part. Just be careful when removing it though as there is a spring behind there. The spring shouldn't fly out or anything, but just be aware that it's there and don't let things fall out. If you're careful you can just put on the new o-ring, then screw it back in without upsetting the other parts in there. And as usual, when doing anything here, put plastic over your alternator before releasing the PS fluid/ATF. Tim

PS: The o-ring you need should be included in a PS pump repair kit, but if you wish to purchase separately it's Toyota part #90301-22001

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

Thanks, Tim! I already bought the Edelmann kit, so I'll plan to make the repairs ASAP, although $2.95 sounds a lot better than the $25 I spent! Oh well, I'll have the other o-rings and parts if she springs a leak somewhere else.

Will a lot of PS fluid come out when I open it up? (like, everything in the reservoir?) I haven't seen people talk about draining the fluid, so I guess this isn't something to worry about, but is it enough that I'll need to keep a drain pan underneath?

Also, I don't have a socket big enough to get these off and I'm afraid I'll strip them if I use my vise grips. I don't suppose you know the socket sizes offhand? It appears to be either 21/22 mm for the outer bolt and 26/27 mm for the inner one that sits against the pump body, but I'd rather only buy the sizes I need if possible. If not, I'll just spring and buy all four or invest in an actual pair of calipers to get a better measure.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It will leak some, but since it's the pressure side, it won't drain the reservoir. I'd expect it to lose a couple of ounces. Since the banjo bolt seals using copper crush washers, it will likely be pretty tight. Sorry, but I don't remember the exact size of the banjo bolt. Since the pressure fitting is sealed with an o-ring, these are usually not extremely tight. You will need to back it up though with an open-end wrench to prevent it from spinning while removing the banjo bolt. I remember this fitting size to be a 27 mm. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota Van Wagon LE

I just gave it a try and am having some trouble. It's kind of a mess when I open up this port, so I'd rather not try too many times before I ask for guidance again! First off, it seems like quite a bit leaks out of the port. The first time I did pulled the bolt and the pressure hose I covered the alternator with plastic and soaked up the ATF with paper towels, and ended up needing a lot of them. Neither seal looked bad, really, but the one between the pressure fitting and the pump had a small abrasion on the outermost surface, so I figured that could be the problem. Maybe stupidly, I didn't change the smaller O-ring, because it looked fine. I didn't see a spring in this part, but looked in the FSM and it looked like there isn't one at this port, and the others all have one (if I was reading it correctly).

I put everything back in and torqued it to the FSMs recommendation, topped off the reservoir and gave it a try, but now it appears to be leaking more than before, from the same spot.

The second time I took it off, I covered the alt w plastic but also rigged up a system so that the ATF would be funneled into an old peanut butter jar that I rigged to be sitting between the blades of the radiator fan. The jar was pretty much filled to the top!

It looks like something maybe has happened to the metal around that recessed area and I'm wondering if that could be the issue? That the O-ring can't make a seal because the PS fluid can still leak around the ring to get out? I'm attaching a picture of the area without the O-ring, and one with it sitting in the recessed area:

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  37.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_2945.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  91.4 KB

Any ideas if this could cause it? Or am I looking in the wrong place? Any thoughts on fixes, or would I need a new pump?

FYI to the future PS pump tinkerers:
    The banjo bolt is 22mm and like Tim said the pressure fitting is 27mm.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sorry to hear that. FYI o-rings need smooth and even sealing surfaces or they will leak. Scratches, dents, debris, or anything else on or in that seal surface will prevent the o-ring from seating properly. FYI, the o-ring should be put on the fitting, then the fitting should be threaded into the bore. It's always a good idea to have some grease on it too. Grease will help hold it in place and also help it slip into it's groove. You might be able to clean up that area and/or cheat with some Teflon tape, but if I saw a mark like that on my pump (on an o-ring surface), I'd start looking for another pump .

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 van LE

reviving this thread so i can save my new alternator. my PS pump is leaking from the part labeled "Refer to Fig. 17-08" in the image below.. i think this might be the vacuum switching valve coronan was asking about?? will post a picture tomorrow when the sun's out, but wondering if the seal kit is all i need.

this forum is great btw, cant thank you guys enough.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 van LE

leaking from here:

the previous owner rigged up a pepsi can. now i know why.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van Cargo 5-spd

Hey Shindagger - ever figure this out? I noticed mine appears to be leaking from the same spot. Just ordered a new seal kit and planned on removing and refurbishing my PS pump, but I'm curious if you found anything else to look for here.

Thanks!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 van LE

i haven't messed with it yet. removing/installing the pump is kinda intimidating.. lemme know if the seal kit gets the job done, thanks.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota 1989 Van Wagon

The pump could be leaking from a few spots, but the most common spot is this easy to replace o-ring at the top of the pump (where the supply line goes in). It's just 2 screws and you're there. You could just go down to the local hardware store and match-up your garden variety o-ring, but you'd be taking a chance it may not be compatible with the PS fluid (which by the way is just Dextron ATF). I've actually used water faucet o-rings in my PS pump and so far they're holding . To play it safe, you could go to Rock Auto and purchase a Power Steering Pump Seal Kit. EDELMANN Part # 8598 will work and it sells for about $20. It comes with the correct o-ring along with the other PS pump seals. Here's a picture showing you the most common leak point. Good luck. Tim

PS: Be sure to put some plastic or something over your alternator before pulling that line.

tried using the faucet o rings as well but couldn’t get it fit. Just barely too big