Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tires, tires, tires!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Tires, tires, tires!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlVan View Post
    Just bought a set of Thunderer Ranger 195 R14C and they would not fit on my 1984 2wd , Do the 84 85 2wd have less clearance than the 86-89? The tire guy ended up selling me a set of travelstar UN106 185 r14 and even those seem to have only a finger or two of clearance at the front wheel well by the lower edge door frame. Any 1st gen van owners chime in with their experience trying to run some beefier tires?
    Hi PearlVan, sorry to hear of your experience. Please keep in mind that different manufacturers will make slightly different sizes that will fall into the same specs......but in this case you should have been fine. I looked up the manufacturer specs for the Thunderer Ranger 195 R14C tires and found them to be slightly smaller than the specs for my Hankooks of the same rated size (both diameter and width).............Although it's possible there could be differences in the tire shape that wouldn't show up in the specs (like tall square corners where the tread ends and the sidewall begins).

I guess it's possible it's a 1st gen van issue, but I doubt it (FYI I know nothing of 84 - 85 vans). I know they have a smaller recommended tire size, but wasn't aware of any differences regarding height or tire clearances.

Another possibility is perhaps somebody lowered the van. Usually when this is done the rear springs are cut, but the front is usually dropped by torsion bar adjustment. I checked the service manuals and found the 1st gen vans show slightly higher specs for the front torsion bar adjustments than the 2nd gen vans (go figure). Check your ride height using the information from the 1987 service manual below.

Note: The height dimension (9.21") is shown (above) for 86 - 89 2wd vans with P195/75 R14 tires. For the 84 - 85 vans, the called out height is 9.57" even though it has the smaller P185/75 R14 tires. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 VanWagon LE --Mikimoto

Cool! thanks for the help everybody.

I ended up returning the tires I got online because I needed tires real bad, so I bought a new set of 185s from the tire shop. As for the Thunderer Rangers that were returned, unbelievably they paid shipping both ways so I got a full refund. I'll take this opportunity to recommend using Simpletire.com for online tire sales as they made returns a real breeze.

So I measured the van height today. Looks like the front sits at 8inches instead of 9.57" so that would explain my greatly diminished clearance. The torsion bar appears to have plenty of threads to tighten down on and raise it. For good measure I will replace my front shocks too.

The manual says jack up the vehicle and remove the shocks, simple as that huh?

After I replace the shocks and raise the van should I get alignment done? I just had it done when I got the new tires

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's always a good idea to align after any changes to the suspension. I doubt raising it 1 ½" would affect it much, but I'd still recommend it. I'm not sure about the place you got it aligned, but Les Schwab (the tire store I use) only charges $$$ if they change things. I've brought vehicles in before and been told "we checked and it was good......no charge". If they do try to charge, you could always claim the height adjustment should have also been checked when they aligned (part of their job) and try to get a freebie, but considering alignments only typically cost ~ $50, I probably wouldn't risk annoying them (you never know when you might need help again). Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd Cargo / '89 Isuzu Trooper

Can someone with a stock 2WD (no lift) please reply with the wheel center to fender measurement for the front and rear? I had taken pics of these measurements before lifting and adding grabbers, but my phone crapped out and I didn't have these backed up. :/
    Many thanks in advance!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    None yet.

On my stock 85, 2wd it's about 13" in the front, and about 14" in the rear.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    None yet.

Wow.
    Just noticed that was from 2020!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    None yet.

Tire question

What are everyone's thoughts on hankook kinergy touring 185/75/14 on my 85 2wd?

Thanks.