Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tires, tires, tires!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 van (almost)

Tires, tires, tires!

I'm trying to find the best tire at the best price, there seems to be a number of options out there. This is for a 1987 4X4. Any suggestions would be great! Especially for places to look in the NW.

thanks!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD 5-Speed Cargo (uncut) 1987 4wd Auto Cargo Conversion

Re: Tires, tires, tires!

I recently found this LT tire in the correct size. I'm considering a set because of the moderate off road like tread pattern
    http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Radial-A-P-8

This is a H725 High mileage plus (not optimo) all-season radial that gets good reviews in snow and rain.
    http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Psearc...Num=1&subNum=2

For Over-sized options I know a few member that successfully use the
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....2OWL&tab=Specs
    Minor suspension mods required.
    Last edited by EZHIKER; 02-08-2011 at 07:43 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Welcome to the site! FYI the stock tire size for the 4wd van is 205-75R 14. 84-85 2wd stock size is 185-75R 14. IMO I think 185's are too small and suspect Toyota came to the same conclusion because in 86 they changed the stock tire size to 195-75R 14 on the 2wd vans. The 205s and the 195s are close enough to be interchanged from 2wd to 4wd and visa versa (205s are about 5/8" taller). The Hankooks I'm running on my 2wd are actually 195R 14C. The C stands for commercial and these are load range "D" They are also bigger than all of the tire sizes above (and the absolute biggest you can run on a heavily loaded 2wd without scraping the body).

Depending on how you load the van passenger rated tires could be okay. Just remember that vans are a bit heavier due to the extra body metal so load range is an important consideration..........especially if you're running it with a heavy load. Before the Hankooks I was running Nankang 195 14C tires (and was generally happy with them). They are listed as a summer tire though and I found out why when I got caught in a snow storm (they really suck in the snow and ice). I was caught in another snow storm shortly after I installed the Hankooks and found they do MUCH better on slick surfaces (as they are constructed of a softer compound and have a slightly more aggressive tread)..........but softer compound usually means faster tread wear. I've only put about 7,000 miles on the Hankooks so far, so I can't comment yet on how they wear (time will tell).

Here's a link to an Internet tire site I found: http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...hen=View+Tires

That site is great for finding tires based on size and load rating. Their search feature lets you enter the criteria you want and it pulls up tires from a huge list. The ones on this page are all 195R 14C load range D (My favorite size and the highest load rating you'll find in 14"). The Hankooks I got are the 2nd down from the top. I was going to drive down to pick my tires up from these guys as they are located just across the river. They wouldn't allow a local pick-up though and wanted $80 just to ship them a few miles. That annoyed me so I went to Les Schwab and gave them the information on the Hankooks I wanted. I paid a bit more for them at Les Schwab (even while compensating for the shipping), but I got their road hazard warranty deal and free rotations so I'm happy.

Important note: When you're shopping stay away from anything that starts with "ST". That stands for "Special Trailer" and they don't have the safety or quality you want for a passenger vehicle. Any tire shop that knows what they are doing won't install them anyhow (liability issues).

To help you figure out what other tires might fit, here's a link to a tire size calculator: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos . Since your van is a 4wd, start with the 205 75R 14 size and compare to that. This calculator won't recognize 195 14C but I can tell you the overall diameter of those is 26.3" and they are 7.6" wide. If you can find them, I found the LT27 X 8.5 14" (like what EZHIKER posted above) are ideal for the 4wd vans but this size tire is almost impossible to find anymore. To my knowledge, they are only made in load range "C". C is a notch up from regular passenger tires and are a pretty good match for the van. It's been my experience that LT27 X 8.5 14" are a tight fit, but I was able to run them on a stock (non lifted) 4wd van without body trimming. Some guys lift their vans, hack the fender wells, and go even bigger, but in this write-up I'm just going to stick with what fits on a stock non-lifted, non-hacked van.

It's really a personal decision as to what type and size tire will work best. I like bigger tires (that don't require trimming) because they ride nicer and I can cruise at a lower RPM. Due to the heavy load I carry with my 89 2wd cargo van, I always go with the highest rated tires I can find. I don't mind the look, noise, or feel of aggressive treads, but they typically don't wear as well. Highway or mild all-season treads work best for me. Highway tread can also increase your economy by as much as a couple more miles per gallon on the freeway.

When shopping for tires, date of manufacture (age) is also worth consideration. As tires age they become weaker inside (adhesives break down). Even the ones stored indoors in heated shops degrade over time. If you're buying new, and you have the luxury of inspecting 1st, check the date code and avoid anything older than a few years (tires are considered to have a 5-7 year shelf life). This doesn't mean they're unsafe, but it does make them a bit more questionable. Date codes have been required on all tires since 2000. Here's a couple examples of tire serial numbers:

The last 4 digits are date code. The serial number in the 1st picture is DOT WE54 233 4805. This tire was manufactured the 48th week of the year 05 (end of November 2005). The serial number in the 2nd picture is DOT TJ78 JMH 2010. This tire was manufactured the 20th week of the year 10 (mid May 2010). So if you get a chance to pick them out yourself, look for the freshest set you can find. That last picture is of one of my new Hankooks...........I got lucky with a pretty fresh set. I hope this information helps. Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 toyota 4x4 5spd 1985 westy

Wow Tim. I wish I had room in my head to retain all of the great information you seem to have limitless storage space for! Do you happen to have a truckload of knowledge about 15" tire options? I am looking in to getting a set of the steel tracker wheels and would like to go as big as possible without cutting or lifting.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Thanks for the compliment . I actually don't know much about 15" tires because I've never seriously looked into running those. I really like the stock 14" 4wd rims and consider them a defining characteristic of the 4wd van. Due to the US manufacturer's attempt to phase out 14" LT tires, I was almost ready to bite the bullet and switch to 15" myself, but was saved when the flood of foreign made tires came into the US market.

I was very skeptical at 1st, but what choice was there? Until I tried Nankangs I was forced to run load range "C" and those choices had dwindled to almost nothing. The last set of US tires I purchased was Cooper Discoverers LT195 75R 14's (and that was not a good experience). They cost me over $150 each and were total junk (weak side walls). 3 of the 4 failed before the tread was even half gone. When the 3rd one failed I had enough and junked them all. When I switched over to the Nankang commercial tires it blew me away how much stiffer they were. I could actually go around a corner without feeling like I was fish-tailing. These things are some seriously stiff tires! 8 plies and 26 lbs per tire (I weighed one before mounting). Oh, and did I mention they cost $69 each? Price has gone up since then, but IMO still worth every penny..........and now we have such a large selection in this size. So far I'm liking the Hankooks even more. If they hold up as well as the Nankangs I'll have a new favorite . Tim

PS: In fairness, regarding the Cooper tires, I should point out that I carry a 3,000 lb fixed load in my van (I have modified my suspension to handle the load). I should also point out that the ratings of this tire were not exceeded (I think I still had about 50 lbs to go ). And yes, I ran them at maximum rated inflation and had checked weight per tire using the scale at the weigh station. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    85 5spd

.....and don't put off getting them if you feel the need. In the "should have known better category" , I just rolled my van into the ditch on hwy 26 coming into Portland from the Oregon coast the other morning. It was clear, but cold, and I hit some ice that sent me ditch-bound. I had been thinking about new tires, but sometimes in our daily lives we neglect to take action quick enough. Don't know if newer tires could've prevented this, but can't shake the idea I didn't do enough to prevent it. Maybe accidents are just accidents, but until I put my tires next to new ones did I realize how sub-par they were. Now my really straight 85 has a really beat up rear quarter. I climbed out unhurt and got the van towed home and then running again, all doors working at least, but I'm seriously bummed. I live at the coast and drive the road a lot, but it's a safety issue I neglected to address. Just a reminder to not take it lightly...

My Van(s):
    87 4wd LE auto

I can speak first hand about the General Grabber AT2 in 27x8.5x14 on an '87 4wd,,, and they are great tires! I put new shocks on F&R, added Mr.Gasket 1" spacers above and below rear coils, and cranked torsion bars until no rubbing was heard or felt. Like Tim, I want to keep my 14" rims as long as I can. Anyways, these tires roll good on the hwy and have plenty of traction off road (beach, dirt, mud, snow). Just got back from spending 3 weeks in Baja and didn't have any issues with the tires.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Vansurfer,

What is the load rating of your Grabber AT's? Are the sidewalls stiff enough to prevent side-to side van tilt? Are they light truck (LT) tires or just passenger car tires?

Thanks!
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's a picture of my 87 cargo conversion 5 speed 4wd van with the Dean Wildcat 27 X 8.5R 14LT Tires on it. In my case I was able to run these with no lifting and I had no issues with rubbing.

Unfortunately the Wildcat's are no longer available (they were a Les Schwab brand) in this size. These tires are load range "C". That's 1,515 lbs per tire. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

ok, so between here and "theothersite.com" , am i to understand that the nankangs are no longer available?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'm not sure what the story is on them. I hadn't heard they were going away. I can still find them on-line, but after using the Hankooks I wouldn't go back to Nankangs anyhow (at least not their summer tire). Don't get me wrong, if I lived in a climate of no snow & ice they'd be fine. If you want them either order on-line or ask your local tire store if they can get them. BTW, it's okay to mention www.toyotavanpeople.com and other van sites on TVT. Our goal here is to make all van information easily accessible. Tim

My Van(s):
    86 cargo

Hankooks!!! i had never heard of them till the wifes trooper needed rubber and for the $ they have worked out way better than expected. Ride and handling, snow ice mud ...bring it on!!!
    j-

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

tim: so the hankooks dont give the "flat look" like most tires? I have a tendency to carry alot of weight in tools and parts in a van, and thats why i was looking at the nankangs.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The ones I got (Hankook #RA08 195R14C) are every bit as tough and rigid as the Nankangs. They are an 8 ply tire and rated at 2,100 lbs per tire (just like the Nankangs). They can safely be inflated up to 65psi. Because of my heavy loads I run the rears at around 60 psi & my fronts at around 50 psi. They are rock solid at those pressures. At 1st I was a little concerned the tread would wear quickly, but I've got over 10k miles on them now and so far they still look almost new. The ride is nicer too. The Nankangs seemed to be ride a bit rough, like they were all just slightly out-of-round...........and they sucked in the snow & ice. I got caught in a snow storm again a couple of weeks ago and the Hankooks did very well.

Here's a picture of one of my front tires @ 50psi. Keep in mind my van has over 3,000 lbs of cargo in it. Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

You guys are lucky to have some choice. When I went looking, all I could find was cheap standard passenger car tires (205/75R14), all the dealers I queried said no dice on 14" LT tires. Only thing available was trailer tires which are not rated for drive wheel applications and would void the insurance if installed.

I found a set of 15" chromed steel Sidekick rims that look surprisingly similar to the originals and mounted Pirelli Scorpion STR (205/70R15 96H).
    Really nice tires, wear well, track well, stick well and they are stiff.
    If I didn't already have snows, I would run them year round.
    Best of all they are quiet.

The sidekick rims are bit lighter than stock but I have had no issues so far and they are WAY easier to balance.

Tim makes a very good point on date codes.
    The first set of STR's that came in were almost at their BBD, dealer kindly reordered fresh stock.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'm not sure about Canada, but 6 or 7 years ago I 1st found these Korean tires on-line only AFTER being told by my local tire store (Les Schwab) that LT 14" tires were no longer available (from anywhere). I went back and asked if they could get me these but they said something like "Chinese junk" and they wouldn't sell due to liability reasons. I was also very skeptical, but due to the exceptional load rating & the fact I had no other viable choices I decided to take a chance & ordered them from gearworks.com/ in Illinois (only $69 each). Of course price has gone up significantly since then.

I just purchased another set of Hankooks for my daughter earlier this month. They seem to be readily available almost anywhere now, but it's not unusual for retailers to still give you the "run around" if you don't put your foot down and demand the specific product you want. I ended up purchasing and having these installed by my local Les Schwab (who BTW, had told me earlier that same day they weren't available). Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

There is definitely an attitude to get past sometimes, I found that at every place in town.
    Was even more surprised when they would only quote me an installed price, when I explained it would be cash and carry they all said install was free.
    I had to break down and impose upon my brother, his supplier was at least willing to SO the Pirelli's.

Just checked Gearworks and found little available save the standard load passenger car tires.
    Tirerack has little to offer as well.

Seems the tire industry is abandoning all the older smaller sized tires, 13's and 14's are down right scarce and even some 15's are disappearing.
    Doesn't bode well for the future.
    BB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's a copy/paste of the website I listed earlier (from my 1st post in this thread): http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...hen=View+Tires

Looks like there's quite a choice from this site and they show >40 of the Hankook RA08 195R14C tires on-hand.

My Van(s):

also for anyone looking to spend $$$$$$$ on extreme tires, there are two or three interco/TSL super swamper tires available in 14 inch rim sizes. they dont have the weight ratings like nankang or hankook

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Thanks Tim
    I have now bookmarked that page.
    They certainly have a lot of options available.
    Too bad freight, duty and taxes are so prohibitive, but I can still see using them in the future.