Thread: Exhaust Manifold Glowing Red

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Looking

Exhaust Manifold Glowing Red

I smelled some heat after pulling a big hill yesterday and noticed that my exhaust manifold looked to be about as hot as the surface of the sun. Took it to the muffler shop and they gave it a clean bill of health from the manifold rearward. I replaced the air filter, but after a test drive the problem persists. Interestingly, my last tank of gas was the best mileage I've gotten in the 4 months that I've owned the van. This leads me to believe it is running lean. My mechanic suggested we try the fuel filter next. Anyone else had this problem?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 LE 4WD 5spd (keeper) 87 LE 4WD Auto (2nd van, gone to a good home) 84 LE (1st van, gone to a good home)

Re: Exhaust Manifold Glowing Red

I had an exhaust manifold replaced on a previous van. My van mechanic told me to expect it to glow like the sun. The behavior of yours sounds normal to me.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Looking

Interesting. I just find it hard to believe that it's not going to melt or catch anything on fire.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

This is an indication your timing is off or the electronic advance is not working. Jump the "Check Engine Connector" and check timing, then pull the jumper and verify the timing changes. Also check for codes. The most likely cause of this fault is a bad TPS. If you have a code for that then replace it. Search the forum for more specific information......TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. Tim