Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Washer issues

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Washer issues

VD - Not sure what "electro-mechanical" valve you are referring to.

Toyota (and most imports) use one-way non-return valves in the washer hoses, to prevent bleed back
    The factory valve can be seen in Carbon's post (#30, last pic) it's the white tube "connector" at the end of the clear plastic hose.

The valve Jdelgado will likely work fine as a replacement, as long as the opening threshold is within pump specs
    (valves are cheaper than pumps and pumps that work too hard tend to fail)

Aftermarket pumps are crazy inexpensive but they don't have the lifespan of factory, either.
    I'd rather a used OE pump than a new aftermarket one, but that's just me.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    The White Buffalo - '87 4WD 5sp window cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    VD - Not sure what "electro-mechanical" valve you are referring to.

Toyota (and most imports) use one-way non-return valves in the washer hoses, to prevent bleed back
    The factory valve can be seen in Carbon's post (#30, last pic) it's the white tube "connector" at the end of the clear plastic hose.

The valve Jdelgado will likely work fine as a replacement, as long as the opening threshold is within pump specs
    (valves are cheaper than pumps and pumps that work too hard tend to fail)

Aftermarket pumps are crazy inexpensive but they don't have the lifespan of factory, either.
    I'd rather a used OE pump than a new aftermarket one, but that's just me.
    I'm referring to the "Washer change valve," which I understand to be the thing that the relay sits on top of, visible at the top of that same picture you referenced. I didn't realize there was also a check valve/non-return valve. Curious now to understand why both are necessary - I guess the washer change valve probably prevents liquid from continuing to dribble out of the nozzles after spraying, whereas the check valve only prevents flow back into the tank...

I think what Jdelgado linked to is a replacement pump, not a valve
    How Can The Radiator Light Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Jd did indeed reference a pump assembly, and you are correct about the weird valve and I have learned something new.
    Manual speaks of how to test it but fails to address purpose/function.

That said, IH8MUD has a great write up on them
    Cheers

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Hey all, my front washer has suddenly stopped working! I don't hear a pump sound anymore when I push the button. Is this more likely an electrical issue or a pump failure? Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Van A/T 2WD; 269k on the clock & counting!

Also having an issue with my washer, most likely dirt got into the system since mine never had a cap on the tank in a long, long time, and being it came from the high desert probably years of dust accumulated inside it long before I added windshield washer fluid to test if it worked. Also have the same issue; push the button, electricity goes to it and nothing. A small thing but it would be nice to have (and a cap for the tank especially!)