Thread: warm start problem

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 toyota 66vw

warm start problem

Had this problem intermittently for a number of years and it is getting worse. When the weather is damp, less so now, and I go somewhere that is 5 minutes away the van will not start unless it sits for 15-20 minutes. If I drive for 15-20 minutes I do not get this problem and will not for the rest of the day. Also sometimes tries to die if I hit the gas to quickly during this warm up period. TPS problem? Have changed the cap and rotor. Coil checks out when cold.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 toyota 66vw

Re: warm start problem

shows a fault code 5-1 which I believe is the TPS. Thinking its the ignitor. Anyone have a spare?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

BV - TPS failures are pretty common, I would start with replacing it and continue the diagnosis from there (after verifying the wiring is good, of course).

Jumping ahead and changing parts at random is a recipe for going broke.

You may also want to look at the heat soak thread, for further ideas.
    When you say she won't start - do you mean she won't crank, or she cranks and won't start, as they are 2 very different problems.
    Other things to consider would be things like fuel pressure (for which you won't get a code).

BB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 toyota 66vw

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    BV - TPS failures are pretty common, I would start with replacing it and continue the diagnosis from there (after verifying the wiring is good, of course).

Jumping ahead and changing parts at random is a recipe for going broke.

You may also want to look at the heat soak thread, for further ideas.
    When you say she won't start - do you mean she won't crank, or she cranks and won't start, as they are 2 very different problems.
    Other things to consider would be things like fuel pressure (for which you won't get a code).

BB
    It cranks but wont start. Runs like a champ when its fully warm. Was able to reproduce it yesterday checked the coil, and it still checked out. Quite certain its a spark problem but will change the tps because I think thats a problem also.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 toyota 66vw

Quote Originally Posted by bluevan88
    It cranks but wont start. Runs like a champ when its fully warm. Was able to reproduce it yesterday checked the coil, and it still checked out. Quite certain its a spark problem but will change the tps because I think thats a problem also.

Update: when the problem occurs I do have spark. I believe it's a fuel problem. I've checked the fuel pressure and that's okay. Definitely worse when its cold and damp. Tps changed and throttle body cleaned. I can get it running with propane. No codes presently. also can't get it started at all today