Thread: HELP!!!!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Cargo Van (Window/2WD)

HELP!!!!!

Hello. I'm in big trouble here and I really hope someone can help. I attached a battery tender to my battery over the course of a few days to try and see if it would charge fully. It never did, so I just replaced with a new battery. The moment I hooked the new battery up, my dash and parking lights just started blinking along with clicking underneath the dash. Ignition doesn't engage. Any ideas?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Re: HELP!!!!!

Thanks very much. The starter relay was making the noise, so I pulled that and will test/replace. I will go through the fusible links soon.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Is there a chance you shorted something or maybe hooked up the wires backwards? Sometimes due to past mods, there may be more than one wire per post. In these cases it's easy to lose a wire behind the battery. Just make sure they are all accounted for and in the right places. There can never be enough emphasis put on all terminal connections being clean & tight. If all that checks out, the next place to check is the 1.25B fusible link (djshimon linked you to that thread above) I'm guessing that one is blown or somehow messed up. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Is there a chance you shorted something or maybe hooked up the wires backwards? Sometimes due to past mods, there may be more than one wire per post. In these cases it's easy to lose a wire behind the battery. Just make sure they are all accounted for and in the right places. There can never be enough emphasis put on all terminal connections being clean & tight. If all that checks out, the next place to check is the 1.25B fusible link (djshimon linked you to that thread above) I'm guessing that one is blown or somehow messed up. Tim
    Thanks very much Tim. I disconnected and connected everything correctly, but wow is something whacky! I forgot to mention that when I picked the Van up from the dealership the other day, they left a door cracked, my battery drained, and we had to jump it. Still started and drove well a few times after that. All the fuses checked out and I think the starter relay is fine. I also checked the four fusible links behind the passenger's seat, and they're intact. I haven't cracked open the case on the 1.25B. The exterior of that fuse is in excellent condition with the original tape wrapped around it, and I'd be really surprised if just hooking up a new battery could fry it, but I'll check. I think someone put an aftermarket alarm on the Van at some point, because I have a little red flashing light next to the steering column. I wonder if the remnants of that job could be screwing something up??? If I can't figure this one out, I will be selling her I'm afraid. Too bad, because she's a beauty.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Hello everyone. Quick update. All fuses and fusible links were A-okay, which led me to the Van's 1980s/90s alarm system. The open door switches and ignition were activating the synchronized blinking of the parking lights. After some exhaustive research on car alarm setups, I found the correct method for resetting this particular system, which entailed cycling the ignition switch on and off while pressing the valet button. I'm happy to report that the Wonderwagon is rolling down the road again!!! So, the moral of this story is make sure you understand your Van's alarm system before replacing the battery!