Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Overdrive issues

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2wd

Re: Overdrive issues

It’s the Volvo 240 OD valve. If you google it you’ll see it’s very similar to the one we have.

The old OD needs to be sliced into the wiring since it does not share the same plug.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-Auto-...cAAOSwEgVWR4Q0

And the Bypass plug to cancel out the Od

https://www.amazon.com/Overdrive-Sol.../dp/B00VET3N50

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Also, try looking at post #107 on page 6 of this thread.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2wd

Thanks Timberland

The link Timberland posted show cheaper OD solenoids

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you never turn off your OD and you want a permanent solution, then I'd go with the bypass device. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van Wagon 4x4 LE

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Check out post #25, page 2 of this thread.
    Thanks Tim-o

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Automatic

Has anyone here actually installed the Volvo bypass plug?

My '85 2wd isn't getting overdrive, and I tried to look at the wiring, but... The wiring around the overdrive relay is in a rather sorry state, and the wire count/colors do not match what should be there according to the diagrams and photos in this thread. Previous owner seems to have done something strange. Yes, I have unplugged the coolant sensor. It didn't help.

Instead of messing around with the wiring any further, I'm curious about the behavior of that plug. The ebay description seems to say that it locks the vehicle out of overdrive? Of course, that is for the intended volvo, so I want to confirm with you guys what the real behavior is in a toyota. For those of you that have installed it, does it permanently enable or disable the overdrive?

Where I live, I need to be able to drive at least 60mph to get nearly anywhere, and doing that without overdrive isn't good for my fuel economy or my peace of mind with a 36 year old engine. The overdrive needs to work. Thanks for the help.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

I installed it on my '85. My overdrive solenoid was getting voltage when it should and when I removed it and tested it with a battery, it opened fine, but when it was installed and I was driving on the highway, the trans wouldn't shift to 4th gear. In hindsight maybe the orifice in the solenoid was plugged? Anyway, I installed the Volvo bypass plate. At first it leaked since the supplied o-ring was too thin for the groove in the plate. I replaced it with a thicker o-ring and it stopped leaking. As for how it works, it works fine. The trans shifts in and out of overdrive at about 70 or so km/hr like it should. As for the "overdrive" terminology, some people say when it's engaged the overdrive is "on". Others say when it is disengaged, overdrive is on since you get more power going up hills in only 3rd gear. Anyway, if I want more power to accelerate up a steep hill, I just press down harder on the accelerator and the trans kicks back to 3rd like it should. Personally I don't see the point of the selectable overdrive switch in the first place.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Automatic

Great, I'll order one! As long as I get normal use of all the gears, I don't care about losing the ability to "turn off" overdrive... It's a silly feature anyways. My Tundra has it too, cant find a good use for it at all, unless maybe I was towing something heavy up a hill. And I have no plans to do that with a 90hp Van

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Quote Originally Posted by Floridaman View Post
    unless maybe I was towing something heavy up a hill.
    This is one of the purposes as well as reduced load and wear on the transmission and engine at lower speeds. If a gasoline engine is constantly operating at or under 1500-2000 rpms say at 25-35 mph you are lugging the engine when you try to accelerate which can actually harm it. By pressing the throttle harder you get it to downshift but that causes the transmission to shift up and down frequently when traveling at slower speeds increasing wear on it. By being able to lock out 4th gear at slower speeds you are able to keep you engine rpms in a more useable range and the transmission doesn't need to frequently shift up and down. Of course if you live somewhere largely flat this is not as much of an issue but I live in the PNW where nothing is flat and a 1.3 mile run to the grocery store involves 3 hills. Mine stays locked out unless I know I'm going to be sustaining 40mph or more. The whole point of selectable gearing is to keep the engine rpms at a usable compromise between economy and power. Contrary to reasonable logic, maximum economy is not necessarily at the lowest rpm possible. Of course, there is a massive number of variables for these circumstances as well.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Automatic

Put my volvo "fake solenoid" in today. Happy to report it works perfectly! I'm now getting all 4 gears and the van can happily cruise along at 65+mph without excessive engine rpm. I don't know exactly what RPM I'm getting, as my van does not have a tachometer, but it's still a night and day difference.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

I've checked fuse, checked the overdrive relay and switch are connected, and the dash light goes on,off with the button, but no effect on rpm, even at 50-60mph, with verified 180degree temp.

Disconnecting the thermo switch hasn't brought any joy either, so I'm prepping to take a look at the solenoid and it's wiring.
    ....In Tim's great notes, he mentions... ''It is grounded through the transmission and is activated by a single wire.''

I'm wondering , if the solenoid is grounded through it's body, can I simply try a jumper wire straight from the battery to that single wire connection,, is there a 'click' or something that'd indicate it's working? .....and can I test one I have on an oldie but goodie spare transmission, ground the body, jump the wire? <;~]
    Last edited by micah202; 12-09-2021 at 12:50 AM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

You never feel the need to gear down on ice? ...or lock in to a lower gear on a long climb? I suppose your username explains it,, there ain't no long hills or snow in florida! <;~D

Great, I'll order one! As long as I get normal use of all the gears, I don't care about losing the ability to "turn off" overdrive... It's a silly feature anyways. My Tundra has it too, cant find a good use for it at all, unless maybe I was towing something heavy up a hill. And I have no plans to do that with a 90hp Van

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Can you please confirm a couple of details of your successful solenoid replacement with the Volvo part.... Yours is a 2wd? Which specific Volvo solenoid did you order? Link? .... Is it a simple install, or is there a few details I should know? Thanks <;~]

Put my volvo "fake solenoid" in today. Happy to report it works perfectly! I'm now getting all 4 gears and the van can happily cruise along at 65+mph without excessive engine rpm. I don't know exactly what RPM I'm getting, as my van does not have a tachometer, but it's still a night and day difference.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Micah, the only difference with the Volvo solenoid is the connector end on the wire. Just cut it off and butt connect it to part of your old wire. If you use an OE Volvo solenoid, I'm guessing quality is similar or possibly the same as Toyota. The ebay solenoids that were linked to earlier are aftermarket, and not of the highest quality. As I mentioned, I got one and it worked as advertised BUT, and it's a big but ()()(lol), it leaked. The leak was small though and came through the body of the new solenoid. It wasn't enough to make a spot on my concrete, but over the course of ~ 5k miles it would lose about a cup of so of ATF. That made a mess on the side of the transmission and on the undercarriage of the van. I eventually swapped it out for a good used one with ~ 200k miles on it and that solved the leak issue.

Regarding your other question. YES, you can test it by applying +12VDC through the single wire while grounding the body. If it's good there will be an audible "click". If you're testing a loose part you will also see slight movement in the middle of the side that mounts to the transmission. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Thanks Tim. Which specific Volvo solenoid did you order? Possible to share a specific link? I couldn't find anything specific in the thread, would hate to order wrong. <;~o

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

There's a link in post #121 of this thread (top of this page) to the cheap one. There's another link on post #107 (page 6) to some more. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 Cargo

i recently swapped in a 89 4wd auto le cluster into my 2wd 88 cargo, lost od Lol 😆 , ive seen many post pertaining to the od nonsense but never this , i must of repinned something wrong to my doors , i can hear something clicking when the drivers door is open, when close everything sounds good. When i hit my od theres my door light comes on faintly . Thank you

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

.... Haha, I'll bet your OD works when you have the door open a bit!

.... I just got through a funny process. OD was working intermittently. I changed the solenoid and that fixed it for a while, then it was out again. Finally I got hold of another relay, and that fixed the problem.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 Cargo

I wonder if so ahahah but i gotta find a cluster wiring diagram with colors to find the od wire lol and plug it into the od plug on the back of the 4wd cluster?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

In the meantime, you can replace the solenoid with the OD roflroflroflroflit kit,, OD functions then, yer just can't gear down....

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/362090245964