Thread: The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART Thread for Diesel and JDM Vans

My Van(s):
    1989 JDM 4x4 Diesel HiAce

The WHAT-IS-THIS-PART Thread for Diesel and JDM Vans

Just got back from Alaska and rolled my van out of storage. Since I had only purchased it a few hours prior to heading North for work back in May, I've spent the last couple of days rolling around on the concrete under the rig looking around and getting to "know" my new toy.

Can someone identify the white reservoir nestled around the air cleaner element housing. Here are a few pics from above and below.

Also, I'm somewhat blind without a manual. Can anyone pass along a reliable and current link to purchase one? (in English)
    I have a 1989 JDM Diesel 4x4 Hiace with the 3L motor. The production date is 10/1989 so it's the newer body style. Frame: LH 107G

Thanks.Name:  CIMG7645.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  86.2 KBName:  CIMG7642.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  85.0 KB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: ...name that part

It's a resonator used to cut down on noise under your butt when you mash the throttle. Also, For parts purposes, a 10 of '89 build date is likely an 1990 model year despite how it may have been titled in the states.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Here's a paste from wikipedia showing the production dates vs model years and also a link to a parts diagram showing a different year but similar intake system which appears to have three resonators. https://partsouq.com/es/catalog/toyo...PDK&group=1703
    Fourth generation
    Overview
    Also called
    Production Aug 1989–mid-2004
    Model years 1990–2004 (2005 in most markets)
    Assembly

My Van(s):
    1989 JDM 4x4 Diesel HiAce

Can't say I know anything about resonators but also did a quick search and found this: http://www.ehow.com/info_12156112_ai...onator-do.html

Apparently it is a real concept: Pressure Wave Harmonics; "it's actually an important part of the engine's intake system, and may add a fairly significant amount of horsepower."

Considering the lack of HP under my seat of my HiAce, I obviously need a bigger resonator. lol

Thanks for the quick reply on the part identification Originalkwyjibo.
    Last edited by BajaHiAce; 10-14-2015 at 11:01 AM.