Thread: 2C-T engine bit the dust, how do I find a new one?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 1987 syncro 1990 aerostar

Unhappy 2C-T engine bit the dust, how do I find a new one?

Hello all. I just bought a 89 townace from BC and drove it to washington, right before I got to Seattle the engine threw a fit. oil spewing out of the dipstick, I towed it to a shop in seattle and they said one of the cylinders has 0 pressure, so its broken, and will need a new engine. I have done some basic skimming around the web and found not even one 2c-t engine (turbo diesel) for sale, so I am hoping these van forums can point me in the right direction, heck, maybe even one of you guys have one you can part with?! Would anyone want to take on this project for me as I am leaving the state and unable to work on it while I am gone. (make a little side $) Help!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 Town Ace TD 5-speed 4WD

Re: 2C-T engine bit the dust, how do I find a new one?

Hey there, I too have a 2C-T and will probably someday be in the same dilemna so I'm definitely subscribed to this thread. I just dropped $2500 into my engine to keep it happy...let's hope it works. Currently machining my exhaust manifold flat again. I thought I needed a new turbo, but turns out I'm ok for now. Keeping the new one as a spare. My issue came from turning up my fuel pump above the stock location. Lesson learned and I'm dialing back down.

Anyways, what I wanted to tell you is there is in fact a vehicle that came to the USA with the 2C-T. It's a 1986 Toyota Camry 2.0 Diesel. If you can't find one of those with a good engine then you're going to have to import an engine from a Japanese wrecker. My suggestion would be to speak to Amazing Imports or another Delica/TownAce importer in Canada. See if they can help you.

You also may be able to rebuild your current engine if you can find a competent machine shop. Sourcing pistons, rings, seals, bearings, etc is probably a lot easier than sourcing a complete engine.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    No vans right now :(

Ah man sorry to hear this. I fear the day the same thing happens with mine. Please keep us informed on how it all turns out! It may be really helpful information for the rest of us in the future.

May be worth a look through ace answers. I know Dave Mason had replaced a piston in his rig. Point being all may not be lost....who knows.

http://www.townace.plus.com/aanswers.htm

Good luck!
    Matt

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...wd=&origin=pla

Found a new/rebuilt short block for $2225. You'll definitely want to speak to the seller directly to confirm this is a 2C-T, but it sure looks like it. With a short block you'll need to re-use your old cylinder head (I recommend having it re-surfaced, rebuilt first) and basically all accessories, manifolds, turbo, etc. You're just getting a completely assembled bottom end.

If you go this route PLEASE update us as to how it works out. This source could prove to be a priceless resource for us crazy TownAce/LiteAce drivers here stateside.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Also I just want to note that the Camry 2C-T uses a smaller oil filter than the TownAce 2C-T. There are probably lots of minor differences like that between the engines, but as far as I know nobody has tried interchanging them yet. If you do it, try to document all the differences for future reference. Thanks, Mark

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

I might have engine rebuilt, im also keen on finding a new one for sale... I also did not get email notification of new replies so that is weird(ive checked after first reply notification...) will keep posted.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Anyone know if a repair Manual / service manual exists ? And how to get hands (or eyes) on one?!

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by oldspice View Post
    Anyone know if a repair Manual / service manual exists ? And how to get hands (or eyes) on one?!

Maybe this I just typed in "Toyota Townace manual" and found this, hope this works-

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

My TownAce is one of the few that has a 3Y power plant. I wasn't interested in the Turbo Diesel engine after reading about them, they seem very high maintenance and I'm not mechanically inclined for that challenge.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    No vans right now :(

Apologies Old Spice, I had intended to reply. There exists one relatively comprehensive manual for the 2 CT engine that I know of. The toyota part number is RMO25E. I have a digital copy I can forward along to you if you send me an email address.

Matt

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Ty all so far, I am going to rebuild the engine but I need to source 4 new Pistons.. Anyone have any leads or sources / ideas ? Would greatly be appreciated

also am looking for the rear mirror thing that bolts onto back of roof for backing up!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's some: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PISTON-RING-...AAAOSw9H9U103c . Of course they are aftermarket and come from Dubai. Not too many other options out there. Good luck. Tim

Note: These are STD size, so if there's any wear or scoring you'll need to have it bored.......and STD won't work. I did however notice this in the description:

DIAMETERS: BORE: 86''MM, 1ST RING: 2.0''MM, 2ND RING: 2.0''MM, OIL RING: 4.0''MM. OVERSIZE 0.50 PISTONS & RINGS CAN BE SUPPLY UPON REQUEST. PLS MENTION YOUR REQUIRED SIZES IN YOUR SALES ORDER WHILE CHECKOUT.

My Van(s):

I've ordered parts from RockyMountainImports in Victoria BC but shipping isn't cheap and there's possibly duty tax for the parts. But if you know someone in BC then you can have it shipped to them and pick it up.

I took a look and it looks like they have a piston ring set (not sure if that's what your referring to?)

check it out-

http://www.rockymountainimports.net/...Masterace.html

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

LOL, $570 for a set of rings . Really?

My Van(s):

I know riiiight!!! Compared to the eBay link you provided it's a pretty ridiculous price!!!!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

One source quoted me 400$ is that redonkulous??
    Otherwise I apparently gotta find a frame number to look up parts? Where do I find frame number ? Apparently that matters...

My Van(s):

The frame number is located on the front passenger side, beneath the seat there should be a square carpet patch you can pull down and there'll be a metal plate with the frame number, chassis number, color code.... ect.

I save a photo copy on my phone so I have access when I need it. Here's an example-
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Townace 4x4 2.0 TD

Quote Originally Posted by Gunflint View Post
    Apologies Old Spice, I had intended to reply. There exists one relatively comprehensive manual for the 2 CT engine that I know of. The toyota part number is RMO25E. I have a digital copy I can forward along to you if you send me an email address.

Matt
    Hi Matt,

I have been searching for this manual for a bit now until I stumbled on this forum. If you could please send me along the manual I'd really appreciate it! my email is keenantakahashi@gmail.com Just got the bad news that I have a blown head gasket...

Cheers,
    Keenan

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Camry 2C-T

Hello,

I have a 2C-T in a camry that might have to be taken off the road (in Duncan, BC). If anyone here might be interested.

Adrian