Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Alternator woes

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

Re: Alternator woes

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    Yah, I know I need at least 120 Amps to make it happen.... Just not sure at what point I would need upgrade wiring to handle the extra load. Most of my sluething kinda lends to the thought process that anything over 130 Amps and the og wiring may not handle it... not a huge deal, as wiring is fairly cheap.

Did you have to upsize anything with your alternator? Or all good? Not sure what the CS130D pushes out...
    I completely rewired the engine compartment when I went to aftermarket fuel injection. When I did that I ran a new 4 gauge main cable to the alternator. Should be good to 200 amps (only 6 feet to the battery). The cs130d is rated around 105 Amps, but I wired it with an upgrade in mind.

After cutting the entire wiring harness open to see what's inside, I decided I wouldn't run more than 100 amps through the factory harness.

To make it bomb proof I recommend a new main alternator battery wire that can handle the amperage, and to make sure the sense wire is perfect. If it isn't, run a new one. Mine was fried two feet into the harness. Super weird, but explained 10 hours of work 5 years ago. I just ended up running a new wire outside of the harness back then.

The sense (field), ignition, and warning light are all compatible with the GM alternator. You just need to get the GM pigtail that has all the wires.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

This is probably a pretty good time to add a link to another thread where I upgraded my alternator: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...=5167#post5167

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 Cargo Van, Manual

Is the long bolt on the bottom of the alternator threaded into the engine bracket?

The bolt head on mine sheared right off as I was trying to replace it..

Any ideas on how to get this thing out now?

Thanks in advance.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 passenger

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Is the long bolt on the bottom of the alternator threaded into the engine bracket?

The bolt head on mine sheared right off as I was trying to replace it..

Any ideas on how to get this thing out now?

Thanks in advance.
    Where did it shear?
    Page ch5 of the factory manual shows it to be a bolt with a nut on the back of it after it pokes thru the body of the alternator..
    Have you removed the alternator? Be gentile with the belt tensioning bolt, lots of loose juice of your preferred flavor.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

The long bolt head sheared off when I tried to turn it in order to remove the alternator. Now I have a threaded bolt with no head flush with the alternator bracket hole in the front, and with a couple of inches of threaded bolt sticking out behind the alternator (where the nut goes). The alternator is still on (can't get it off with the long bolt still in)..

All other bolts, belt, wire harness, etc is off.

Seems like every bolt I touch on this van snaps off.. Good times though 😂

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyyota 4WD Van

Can you slide it back enough to get a hack saw blade in there and cut the bolt short?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Here I am secretly hoping someone will say "just cut the bracket and install Tim's custom bracket with a Cs144 alternator" 😉

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 passenger

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Here I am secretly hoping someone will say "just cut the bracket and install Tim's custom bracket with a Cs144 alternator" 😉
    Remove nut behind alternator if you can.

Double nut the part of the threaded bolt sticking out. Lots of loose juice Blunt point of an air chisel to rattle the bolt and get the juice in. Gently clockwise on the inner nut, then counter clockwise on the outer nut. Poco a poco.

An offering to the Flying Spaghetti monster should you succeed.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 passenger

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    Remove nut behind alternator if you can.

Double nut the part of the threaded bolt sticking out. Lots of loose juice Blunt point of an air chisel to rattle the bolt and get the juice in. Gently clockwise on the inner nut, then counter clockwise on the outer nut. Poco a poco.

An offering to the Flying Spaghetti monster should you succeed.
    Counter clockwise on the inner, clockwise on the outer. Cofffee had'nt kicked in.

My Van(s):
    1987 Cargo: 'LOLVAN'

Funny, I was just coming to complain about my alternator and lo and behold, the "Alternator Woes" thread is right on top!

Has anyone attempted to order this: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...del=&Filter=()

It's listed as a "genuine Toyota part" and covered by their warranty. Does that mean it's a better rebuild than the auto parts store crap? I'm on alternator three, and I'm kicking myself for giving my genuine toyota one away prior to knowing anything -- no core for me! .
    Any insight out there?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 passenger

Quote Originally Posted by Grappler View Post
    Funny, I was just coming to complain about my alternator and lo and behold, the "Alternator Woes" thread is right on top!

Has anyone attempted to order this: https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...del=&Filter=()

It's listed as a "genuine Toyota part" and covered by their warranty. Does that mean it's a better rebuild than the auto parts store crap? I'm on alternator three, and I'm kicking myself for giving my genuine toyota one away prior to knowing anything -- no core for me! .
    Any insight out there?
    Find an authorized Denso alternator and starter shop. There are such places and they repair all sorts of heavy duty units that cost mad money. In my experience the junior techs in such places only have 10 years experience. I use shops like that for old Bosch and Denso units and they get it right the first time. With no Come backs.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by Grappler View Post

Any insight out there?
    Yes, I got one. It's a Denso rebuild in a Toyota box (good alternator). It should rival quality/longevity of the original OE alternator. Keep power steering fluid off it and it should last over 100k miles. Tim