Thread: Lifting leaf springs?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

Lifting leaf springs?

Any one know what parts are necessary to lift the rear end with leaf springs? My current 4x4 has coil spring but my parts van has the leafs and Im considering swapping them to my 4x4. I also have a friend with a 2wd and same deal, leafs in back and we wanna give him some clearance to get to the secret beach spots here in Hawaii. I found info on coils but no luck on leafs. Any help would be great.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Lifting leaf springs?

Leaf springs are an easy lift. Longer shackles. This can be as simple as two plates per side with a hole top and bottom or something more elaborate like this. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensio...FQdsfgodNDMNDw
    These are just an example and not a direct fit to the van. When using shackles the lift is half of the extra length of the shackle. So if the shackle is 2" longer the lift is 1". As far as swapping coil to leaf? You better take a closer look at the two suspension systems. I may be wrong because I don't have any personal experience with the leaf suspension but, I believe you're in for major reconstructive surgery of your rear frame.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

Again Thanks for the reply and info. Youve helped me on two threads today. So if I want 2 inches of lift , then I need to add 4 " of material? I think I may just fab up my own from some stock ones and extra steel off of the parts van.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van Cargo 5-spd

Re: Tires, tires, tires!

Hey all! I've got some 27" General Grabbers on order that'll be here in a few days. I've cranked up the torsion bars in anticipation for their arrival and looking good in the front! Got like 2" of lift there, and pretty sure they'll have no trouble fitting with some light trimming of the plastic tab mount up front.

My question is about the rear though. I have a leaf spring cargo van and kind've only just realized the whole spring under axle vs spring over axle issue. I bought some 'lift blocks' but as some of you might know, lift blocks are also *lowering blocks when the leaf springs are UNDER the axle - like cargo TVs. So I think the next easiest thing would be to extend the spring shackles? Has anyone done this or have any other suggestions? Would greatly appreciate it!

Here's an example of what I mean -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HCcl61gAq3...e-Up-Hung-.jpg

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Shackle lifts are the cheapest and easiest lift for a leaf sprung vehicle. There are issues that can arise with too long of shackles but for what you are trying to achieve you should be fine.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Shackle lifts are the cheapest and easiest lift for a leaf sprung vehicle. There are issues that can arise with too long of shackles but for what you are trying to achieve you should be fine.
    Thanks! You were right! I went down to a local performance shop that just so happened to have some of these universal shackle straps that fit perfectly. The back is now sitting up higher and as close to level as I can get with the front of the van. I'll post some pics later! Thanks for your advice!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Did you remember to action the LSP & BV?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I have not! Thanks for the reminder. I haven't driven it yet and good thing! I'll check the forum for that thread. I remember seeing something about that somewhere around here...

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Did you remember to action the LSP & BV?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd Cargo / '89 Isuzu Trooper

Quote Originally Posted by swamptony View Post
    Thanks! You were right! I went down to a local performance shop that just so happened to have some of these universal shackle straps that fit perfectly. The back is now sitting up higher and as close to level as I can get with the front of the van. I'll post some pics later! Thanks for your advice!
    I'm glad this worked out for you. Btw, the 2wd cargo rear leaf spring/axle setup is almost identical to the 5-lug 2wd pickup. I recently had a tire credit $$$ so I went for a set of grabbers. I opted for an add-a-leaf insert with the addition of a slightly longer shackle (e.g. 2" longer shackle gives 1" lift). Many 4x4 companies recommended not to go beyond a 2" shackle extension unless you have a center shackle brace added for support and you can ensure proper geometry coming off your rear axle.

For those who are interested...
    Here's the add-a-leaf I used: https://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Pro-.../dp/B0007Y5W66
    Here's the shackles that I trimmed down to 5-1/2' center-to-center instead of making my own: https://www.amazon.com/Superior-13-4.../dp/B00029K202
    And for cranking the torsion bars: https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-2-Inch-.../dp/B006L23SPA

Here it is with the grabbers...

Name:  VanPic_20181015.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  85.7 KB

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto ————————

Thanks MTN_Van for the product links. I'm looking to lift the back end a bit because it's starting to sag with the weight in the back from my camper build out. Does anyone have any more detailed instruction on how to go about lifting the back with an additional leaf spring?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Any of the older Toyo pick-up forums should have everything you need to know about leaf spring mods.
    IH8mud and Toyotaminis come to mind but there are many others.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd Cargo / '89 Isuzu Trooper

Quote Originally Posted by bushcat View Post
    Thanks MTN_Van for the product links. I'm looking to lift the back end a bit because it's starting to sag with the weight in the back from my camper build out. Does anyone have any more detailed instruction on how to go about lifting the back with an additional leaf spring?
    There are a ton of Youtube vids on installing add-a-leafs (and shackles), so it's pretty straight forward.

*also replied to your DM