Thread: 4YE and 3YE cylinder head differences?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa Alltrac 5-speed ........ 1988 TV 4x4 5-speed ................ 1996 TownAce 4x4 SuperExtra TD

4YE and 3YE cylinder head differences?

I am curious if a 3ye head can be fitted to a 4ye engine? And if so, are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing such a swap?

I can pick up a spare 3ye head for next to nothing, and am wondering if it's a good idea to rebuild it in my spare time, and have it ready for when the time comes...

Thanks!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: 4YE and 3YE cylinder head differences?

There are subtle differences but not enough to prevent interchange. I'm not sure what challenges you may or may not encounter, but I know of at least one person who successfully ran a 4Y head on a 3Y engine (if you can go that way then why not the other?). From what I understand it was a bolt-up swap. You might check some of the earlier posts from Wonderwagon over on TVP. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa Alltrac 5-speed ........ 1988 TV 4x4 5-speed ................ 1996 TownAce 4x4 SuperExtra TD

Thanks, Tim! That's good to know. Still wondering if perhaps a small compression increase can be had by using a head from a smaller displacement engine.
    I guess I can compare the two side by side to figure this out.

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

did it work? also did you reuse head bolts?