Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

  1. #1
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    1

    86-89 toyota van rebuilt A44DL transmission

    I have a transmission for an 86-89 Toyota van I bought for an 85. We put it in and couldn't get it to work in the 85. It doesn't have a torque converter $200 obo. This is a totally rebuilt trans


  2. #2
    Administrator timsrv's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    Lots of them
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW WA ST
    Posts
    6,059
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    I am curious as to why it wouldn't work.........please elaborate.

  3. #3
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    To be honest I have no idea I know nothing about the internal of an automatic transmission. I towed my van to a transmission shop and I didn't even tell them it wasn't the exact right transmission and I got a call a day later and they told me this isn't the right transmission and its not going to work.


    Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I am curious as to why it wouldn't work.........please elaborate.

  4. #4
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    duncan bc canada
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    Quote Originally Posted by vanalogs View Post
    To be honest I have no idea I know nothing about the internal of an automatic transmission. I towed my van to a transmission shop and I didn't even tell them it wasn't the exact right transmission and I got a call a day later and they told me this isn't the right transmission and its not going to work.
    mighty weird . i swapped a trany from an 1985 into a 1988 and then a few years later installed the 1988 back into the 1985.............its a long story...

  5. #5
    Administrator timsrv's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    Lots of them
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SW WA ST
    Posts
    6,059
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    Some shops (most actually) don't like installing parts supplied by the customer. On something like a transmission, they make most of their money by rebuilding or supplying that for you. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it smells a bit fishy. The only other thing I can think of is the eBay seller sent you the wrong transmission.........although the one in your picture looks right. FYI, all automatic 2wd van transmissions from 84 - 89 are interchangeable. If they installed it but it didn't work I'd say you got a bad and/or misrepresented transmission. Tim

  6. #6
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Some shops (most actually) don't like installing parts supplied by the customer. On something like a transmission, they make most of their money by rebuilding or supplying that for you. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it smells a bit fishy. The only other thing I can think of is the eBay seller sent you the wrong transmission.........although the one in your picture looks right. FYI, all automatic 2wd van transmissions from 84 - 89 are interchangeable. If they installed it but it didn't work I'd say you got a bad and/or misrepresented transmission. Tim
    Yea I don't know what the deal is I originally thought it was a bad transmission because it didn't shift into gear when my dad and I put it in then took it to the shop and they opened up said it was fine but it was just the wrong trans. If anyone wants to come check it out just PM me Ill be more than happy to let you mess with it.

  7. #7
    Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    89 Cargo Panel AT 85 Cargo AT
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    N VA
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    FWIW I also have an 85 Van and bought one of these remanufactured transmissions off Ebay from transparts734. Worked out OK for me w/no compatibility problems and have driven about 1K miles on it so far.

    I'm fortunate to have a small garage around the corner from me that is familiar with these vans and my 1st gen MR2s.

    Maybe a different mechanic is in order?

    Good Luck

  8. #8
    Van Enthusiast mahleek87's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Rockville, MD
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Damn It View Post
    FWIW I also have an 85 Van and bought one of these remanufactured transmissions off Ebay from transparts734. Worked out OK for me w/no compatibility problems and have driven about 1K miles on it so far.

    I'm fortunate to have a small garage around the corner from me that is familiar with these vans and my 1st gen MR2s.

    Maybe a different mechanic is in order?

    Good Luck
    I got my transmission from the same ebay seller at a great price. 20,000 miles later still works excellent.

  9. #9
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    Quote Originally Posted by mahleek87 View Post
    I got my transmission from the same ebay seller at a great price. 20,000 miles later still works excellent.
    nice to hear its working for you maybe you should consider buying mine as a back up

  10. #10
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van 2WD 3YEC Auto Trans. Silver (Toofus) 1987 Toyota Van 4WD 4YEC Manual Trans. White (Doofus)
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Red Bluff, Ca
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    Is this a G53 transmission? If so I will buy it. Where are you located?

  11. #11
    Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van 2WD 3YEC Auto Trans. Silver (Toofus) 1987 Toyota Van 4WD 4YEC Manual Trans. White (Doofus)
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Red Bluff, Ca
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    Oops. I see your heading. Not a G53. And here I got all excited. Sorry.

  12. #12
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    still available

  13. #13
    Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 le
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: 86-89 toyota van rebuilt transmission

    Quote Originally Posted by vanalogs View Post
    still available
    I know this has been years but still have this?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •