Thread: Sunroof Electrical Questions

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van LE [Automatic]

Sunroof Electrical Questions

So I have searched and searched the threads for Sunroof repair type stuff. I cant find any. please point me to the right area if I am totally missing it.

Problem.
    I hear the motor running on the rear sunroof when pressing button to close. I do not hear the Motor when trying to open.
    I want to remove the panel but i am afraid of breaking any parts on the old plastic. does anyone know how to remove the plastic cover that all the electrical is behind?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Sunroof Electrical Questions

anyone...

I tested the wires with a voltage meter and everything seems to have power... could it be the switch? is there a way to see if the motor is burned up??
    and also is there a way to open the sunroof by hand?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

This thread has answers for power windows in general!

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ghlight=relays

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Quote Originally Posted by bleuhayes View Post
    is there a way to open the sunroof by hand?
    If you have an owner's manual it details how to open and close the sunroof manually. If your factory tool kit is still present, it should have a flat tip screwdriver for opening and closing the sunroof. The first thing to do is remove the plastic trim panel containing the sunroof controls by gently prying it down. Once this is off you should see a large slotted screw head. Removing the screw disengages the motor from the drive mechanism. Under the screw is another slotted drive you can turn which will open or close the sunroof.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    If you have an owner's manual it details how to open and close the sunroof manually. If your factory tool kit is still present, it should have a flat tip screwdriver for opening and closing the sunroof. The first thing to do is remove the plastic trim panel containing the sunroof controls by gently prying it down. Once this is off you should see a large slotted screw head. Removing the screw disengages the motor from the drive mechanism. Under the screw is another slotted drive you can turn which will open or close the sunroof.

Thanks man, That super helpful. I'm totally new to owning a Toyota Van.

I was able to attach leads to the motor straight from a battery and the motor was still functional!!! Sunroof opened right up. it looks like it is the actual button/switch that is malfunctioning I was able to close the sunroof using the switch but opening seems to be the issue. I'm going to clean up the switch and try to make the contact a little better.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Hey guys, my power sunroof has these metal tabs, they sit flat when the sunroof is open. A Google search of an old photo of a similar van showed them sticking straight up when the sunroof is open. I gatherthey guide the sunroof into its closed position. They're spring loaded but don't stop where I think they should. Am I missing a piece?

Thanks!Name:  20190417_172254.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  97.6 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

You are missing a small clip that stops the little flap at about 90 degrees. I think it's a guide that helps the sunroof close? In any case I've successfully jerry rigged a clip out of an old retail display peg, but something flatter would be more ideal.

My Van(s):
    1987 Vanwagon LE

Hey guys,

I'm setting up some computer controlled relays to open the sunroof with a raspberrypi.
    Anybody happen to have a resource with the wiring diagram for the sunroof? I'm not seeing it in my shop manual..

I want to rewire it so it's always on (so I don't have to reach over the hump and put the keys in when I'm camping in the back), and I'm not sure where the most graceful place to add the always hot wire would be.
    Thanks!