Thread: Starting problem (crank, no start)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van

Starting problem (crank, no start)

I've posted a few times already but here goes..

1986 2wd automatic cargo van

I've been reading forum posts for a while now and trying to tackle a few issues I can.

1. Realized the van had obvious blown head gasket. Got that fixed.

2. Had trouble with the starter and contacts, after some reading here, I think I've got that under control with contacts and wiring updates.

3. Now im having an intermittent issue with actual starting. The starter will turn over well, and maybe one or two sputters, and it's just spinning without starting.

What's the next course? I've been reading about fuel filter/pump/injector issues and I'm a little overwhelmed. It's starts great about 85% of the time and that's what's really bugging me.

I guess im asking for suggestion of course of action. 

Thanks for this great forum. 

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd LE Campervan 1986 2wd Auto LE 1988 2wd Auto DX

Re: New to me 86 Cargo van.

My first course of action would probly be to check the ignition relays , fuses involved in the ignition circut , check the large airflow plastic piece that comes between the mass air flow and intake for leaks , check the cold start injector and connections ....

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmax View Post
    My first course of action would probly be to check the ignition relays , fuses involved in the ignition circut , check the large airflow plastic piece that comes between the mass air flow and intake for leaks , check the cold start injector and connections ....
    Thanks! That's next on the list then!👍🏼

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'm not saying this is your issue, but I had a similar issue with my van once. During the summer I blew-out a radiator hose and it completely covered the right side of my engine with antifreeze. When I fixed it (gas station parking lot) it wouldn't start due to antifreeze inside my distributor cap. I had compressed air on-board so I popped my cap, blew it out, and that took care of it. Van ran fine for the next few months........fast forward to winter. Whenever I parked it outside in high humidity conditions it wouldn't start (only happened 1st start of the day). When I associated the start problem with humid conditions, I took a look at my distributor and noticed lots of condensation there. I used a hair drier on the distributor cap for a few minutes and it started right up. After replacing my cap, rotor, and wires the problem went away and never came back.

In retrospect I realized that the antifreeze left a residue on my ignition parts. In humid conditions this residue would attract moisture and create starting problems. Once the van was running the heat and air ventilation would quickly evaporate the excess moisture and problem would go away (until van was allowed to sit overnight in humid conditions again). Regarding your problem it's probably not it, but it's one more possibility to consider. Tim