Thread: Is blanked off EGR a problem in 3C-T Diesel?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Townace 3C-T

Is blanked off EGR a problem in 3C-T Diesel?

Hi All,
    My 1993 Townace 3C-T diesel came with a blanked off EGR valve. It runs well. I heard that the normal EGR funtion helps the turbo run cooler.
    Any comments on the downside of a blanked EGR in terms of turbo reliability or lifespan?
    Thanks a bunch!
    Kara

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Townace

Re: Is blanked off EGR a problem in 3C-T Diesel?

It's fine. I've been meaning to do it myself. Can you share a photo of how they did it?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Townace 3C-T

Hi all,
    I am uploading a photo if I can... The blanking plate is between the aluminum pipe that comes from the turbo and connects to the intake manifold and the EGR valve. The plate in my van was already made and is basically a diamond shape that is the same as the normal gasket between the aluminum pipe and the EGR , except that it is metal and solid. The two bolts from the right side of the EGR pass through it and screw into the aluminum pipe. I used some high temp silicone goop to seal it.
    One trick is that you need to get the aluminum pipe out of the way and I unbolted the three bolts that go down into the intake manifold and loosened the hose clamp over at the turbo and removed the vacuum pump (3CT) --and then the pipe could be rotated out of the nest of injection tubes without disturbing them. I replaced the intake manifold gasket after cleaning to mound of tar in the immediate area of the intake man.
    The blanking plate could be 1/16 aluminum or steel and should work just fine. Mine was thicker than needed... Name:  Blank Plate.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  90.7 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Townace

I have 2 plates made up and intended to remove the whole thing but the nuts that secure the end thats on the turbo side are pretty rusty so I just backed off. Blocking it like you have seems a much simpler option.

The only stuff I've seen about EGR delete heating up was people with hiaces like to put in an exhaust gas temp sensor but a lot of people don't. How long have you ran yours like this?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Townace 3C-T

Hi ,
    I believe the vehicle has run for 12000-15000 miles with the EGR blanked. The previous owner had a shop put it in. I have had the valve cover off and looked around a lot and see no evidence of heating --I know this is not definitive --but the van runs so well that I have decided to go with it.
    I am in the process of pulling the injection pump. The big O ring inside the distributive head is leaking diesel. So say a prayer for me. I found DFIS in Portland OR , (Diesel Fuel Injection Services) who seem totally competent and do overhauls on these small Denso pumps regularly. They want about $1100 to do a complete re-seal on the pump and look for any other problems. You pull the pump and put it on their bench. Also , they have a bucket of Hershey's Kisses on the counter and that makes pulling the pump much more attractive.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1996 Townace

Good to know about the rebuild shop being local, I live in Portland myself.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Townace 3C-T

I just got my pump back from Diesel Fuel Injection Service , Portland OR. I asked them about the blanked off EGR. They seem to really know their diesel engines and told me that unless the vehicle was hotrodded or run in the absolute most extreme conditions , that I would not notice a difference or cause any problem with the engine or turbo.