Thread: Cruise control swap — auto to manual trans and vice versa?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd manual 1987 4wd automatic

Cruise control swap — auto to manual trans and vice versa?

I have an Aug. 1986 LE Automatic 4wd van that was originally imported to Hawaii without cruise control. It seems to have the plugs on the harness and has the housing for the Actuator on the driver side floor. My donor van is a Sept. 86 Manual, not an LE.

The factory manual mentions a Clutch S/W for the manual cruise control system and a Neutral start S/W for the automatic system. I'm hoping that the system will plug right into the Automatic LE van. It already has a neutral start switch, I'm hoping that will work for the cruise control system. I don't see any other differences mentioned in the manual.

I have done some searching online. It seems that the topic was covered on another Toyota Van site but I can't access that info, no response, even after joining the group. I guess its toast. I also found parts listed on toyota sites that were not encouraging. I saw parts listed for cruise control systems that seemed to have big differences between the manual and automatic vans. It appears that some Automatics don't use the computer that is housed right of the glove compartment, but instead have a different ECU to handle the cruise control? I'm hoping that was not the case for my van.

Can I simply plug the Manual cruise control into my Automatic LE? Or would it be easier to place a dixie cup on the horn of a charging rhino?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: cruise control swap

I've never tried to do a swap like you mention, so I won't be of much help in that regard. I did however put an aftermarket cruise control system on my 89 auto cargo van. I used an all-electric Dakota unit with okay results. I mounted the control unit above my left foot (under the dash) and rigged the control cable directly to the accelerator pedal. It works decent for level, downhill, and mild inclines. It does not work so well for medium or steep hills. The problem has to do with travel. The Dakota will only pull the throttle about 3/4 travel. There simply isn't enough travel to go full throttle and/or engage the kick-down. If I do this again I'll probably go directly to the throttle body and/or I'll try another brand. Swapping the cruise from another van might be possible, but I don't think I'd try swapping one from a manual to an auto (or visa versa). Good luck. Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

I can't help much either.
    I do know that when my cruise actuator cable sheared, I checked OEM and was told both auto and MT versions of the cable were obsolete and that they had 2 distinct part numbers and were NOT interchangeable.

After that I ran into an 89 auto at the local yard that was cruise equipped and stole the Cruise cable and actuator from it, in hopes I could adapt it.
    While its a total PITA to swap, I had no problems installing the "auto" cable into my MT van (though I did max out the adjusters), however the control unit was different.
    BB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Just thought I'd mention I also tried installing an Audiovox vacuum actuated unit on a van once. It was a failure and never worked correctly. In that situation I also rigged it to the pedal. The throttle pedal assembly on the van is designed to hook up to a cruise control actuator (that's where the stock unit hooks up). For whatever reason, even though I went with a strong vacuum source, there simply wasn't enough power to actuate the throttle. It would move a little and it could even hold the pedal if I assisted it, but that was the extent. In retrospect what I discovered is the factory van cruise control unit has a stronger pull than the Audiovox and more travel than the Dakota. Either one of these aftermarket units may have worked acceptably if I had used the throttle body to actuate, but there's not a lot of space available in the engine compartment for an actuator (although I never seriously tried to find a spot).

I recently purchased a Rostra Electric Cruise Control kit for my son's Corolla. When we install it I plan on checking travel. If it has decent travel I might order another one and try installing on a van. If I ever get around to that I'll post results here.

FYI, I currently have a factory cruise on my 86 LE and I'm not terribly impressed by it. I do a lot of cruising with it set to 77 mph. With it set @ 77, even mild hills will slow me down to 73 or 74 mph before enough throttle is applied to get the van accelerating again, then on down-hills it will allow the van to go around 81 or 82 mph before it backs off. Part of the problem could be my heavy load (I carry a fixed load of around 3,000 lbs) & over-sized tires, but I know there are better systems out there. My Ford F-350 keeps my speed rock solid (never varies more than 1 or 2 mph) even when I'm towing. The only time it doesn't keep me at the set point is when I'm trying to do something beyond the vehicle's capabilities........like trying to tow a heavy trailer up a steep incline @ 75 mph. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd manual 1987 4wd automatic

Thanks Tim and Burntboot for the info. My manual van has rusted out from the coastal climate and is headed for the parts yard. I'm going to yank the cruise control parts regardless, maybe once I have it out, someone with an 87 automatic can tell if any of the parts are not on their system or are missing from my parts pile. If its hopeless, I'm sure someone could use the system to repair their existing system.

All the mounts and plugs seem to be present on the LE. I guess they left it out because cruise control is of little use on a Hawaiian island. But I'd hate to plug it all in and create a bizarre electrical problem. Electrical systems are my biggest weakness as a mechanic and wreaking a perfectly running van is diffidently something I would do.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If I were scrapping one of these out, the #1 thing I'd try to save would be the transmission/transfer case. I'd also grab the drive-shaft, shifter, & shift cables.

These parts are unique to the manual 4wd vans are are becoming very rare. Not sure how much $$$ they are worth, but I would suspect you could command a hefty price if somebody with a cherry van needed some of those parts to keep it on the road. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1990 Town Ace Royal Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post

I recently purchased a Rostra Electric Cruise Control kit for my son's Corolla. When we install it I plan on checking travel. If it has decent travel I might order another one and try installing on a van. If I ever get around to that I'll post results here.
    Wondering if the Rostra unit is worth it - I have a 1990 Townace which is similar to the 89 Van