Thread: Remove air conditioning components

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

Remove air conditioning components

Hello,

I posted this over on TVP, but got no response. I was reading through the threads and came across a (text) link to this site, by timsrv, so thought I'd drop the question here.

I live in cooler climates (northern MN in summer/Tahoe CA in winter), so I have no real use for AC. Both of my '87's have non-working AC and I'm wondering about removing the components, in order to drop some weight. I just purchased the '88 from a guy in Houston and the AC works fine, so I will leave that alone for now.

My question, specifically, is regarding any conflicts that may arise with electrical connections that may, or may not affect heating, sensors or whatever if I just start removing stuff (or anything else that's critical).

The most immediate removal would be from my van in the Tahoe area. This is the '87 LE and has rear, overhead AC. I would imagine that the duct work and internal components would be jsut fine, if anyone would have any need for any of it. There was a guy from Reno that posted on TVP in Sept. '10 that was looking, so I may try to locate him.

I've referred to TVP often and it looks like this site should be every bit as informative. timsrv, you definitely seem to have a handle on TV's, as well as all of the contributors here, so I've already bookmarked this, too.

I'm looking forward to hangin' here,

Scott

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Remove air conditioning components

Hi Scott and welcome to the site! I'm assuming the link you're talking about at TVP is a picture stamp? Admin over there activated censorship software to prevent users from posting links to TVT so I stamped all my pics (remotely hosted on photobucket) with this site's name . I'm glad to hear it's helping TV owners find us .

As for the question at hand I don't see there being any problems removing the AC components. Just make sure any wires you cut are taped up or secured in a way to prevent electrical shorts. Getting all that junk out of there (especially the condenser) will open things up and allow your van to breath better. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Thanks for the quick reply, Tim!

I think I saw toyota van tech written out in the parts section, in a "business card" thread. Anyway, it's really good to have folks like you willing and able to help!

I will be removing all that I can, with regard to the A/C system. If I can lose 100#'s, I will be very happy (I saw that figure in another thread). Every little bit helps, not to mention the extra cooling that may be possible. I'm thinking about getting rid of the running boards, as well.

As stated above, I will not have any use for the parts, so I'd be willing to pass them on if anyone else has any interest.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

I removed the A/C from my 4WD. I left the rear cooling unit in, as well as the VSVs and sensors (for now). I forget what the total weight loss was, but it was significant, I believe around 100 lbs (the compressor and cast mounting bracket are impressively weighty), and it improved cooling as well.

If you remove the front interior unit, you will need to find a non-A/C van at a junkyard. There's a li'l molex connector with one jumper wire (above and right of the glovebox area) that you'll need to install in place of the A/C wiring harness. You'll also want the ducting from the blower motor to heater core plus the drain and gasket. If you leave the interior unit in, these parts are not necessary.

As a heads-up, the fuse labeled "A/C" actually has the heater blower motor on it as well. Guess how I learned this.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

That's what I was wondering, if there were any connections that might affect other, remaining systems. Maybe I'll start with the externals and tackle the interior components if I really get into it (maybe if/when I tackle the heater motor issue in my heater motor thread).

I just see the condenser taking up space, when I am underneath, and never really needing A/C have thought about removing it.

Bummer, I just replaced the belt while replacing the water pump.

Thanks for the response,
    Scott

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I would just remove the compressor, compressor bracket, and the condenser. IMO it's not worth the extra hassle to get at and remove the evaporator(s). Tim

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

The only reason I removed the interior unit was because someone else wanted it. It was a major PITA to get out (the recipient had far less trouble putting it in, FWIW).

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I'll probably just pull the compressor and condenser, unless I do pull the dash, then. This is to lower the weight, so those are certainly the bulk of that.

Thanks again,
    Scott

9. 10-06-2015, 12:06 AM

Reason
    thread hijack

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

A/C removal in a 1987 2wd Van

I've had my van with no A/C for 4 years now and I think I want to pull out all the unused bits of that system to allow for more air flow to cool then engine and to shed unnecessary front-end weight. I remember reading about this a long time ago and was wondering if anyone has actually done this and if it was helpful?

I live on the Gulf Coast in Texas so it is hot and I'd rather my engine be cool than me, I'm more than used to sweating it out in my van

Is there any part of this system I should be weary of removing?

thanks,

Dan

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: A/C removal in a 1987 2wd Van

I would estimate that shedding the A/C is shedding about 70LBS at most unless you are also planning to take apart the dash and remove the cooling unit which is maybe another 5 to 10 lbs. I don't know if shedding such little weight would make any gains worth the time of gutting the A/C but I would also be concerned about introducing more problems by disturbing 30 year old wiring harnesses under the dash. The condenser is mounted horizontal so I do not see much in the way of air flow gain either way. I think you would gain more in cooling efficiency by installing dual electric fans as some on the forum have already and installing a triple row radiator. If your A/C belt is already off, there is no load on the engine since A/C compressor is out of the loop

Can't remember if the Van came stock with double or triple row radiators

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 2wd Manual LE

If you do this, please discharge the chemicals properly. It's bad for you and the environment.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

alright, maybe I'll hold off. I got it in my head years ago that it would help cool the engine but if that's not the case I'll work on other van projects first. Thanks!

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Rear a/c delete

has anyone removed the rear a/c while keeping the front intact? is it very involved or just looping a couple of lines? rear heat and a/c is not needed for me and i like turning that compartment into a 'trunk'...

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van (auto) Winona 1985 Toyota Van (manual) Myrtle

Re: Rear a/c delete

Quote Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
    has anyone removed the rear a/c while keeping the front intact? is it very involved or just looping a couple of lines? rear heat and a/c is not needed for me and i like turning that compartment into a 'trunk'...
    I am also interested in doing this. I'd love to clear out the rear heater / AC / Blower area entirely and I'm wondering what the logistics are of taking out the rear evaporator along with all the other stuff in that area. Has anyone done this?

Name:  IMG_9431.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  96.4 KB

I do not have the fridge in my version of the van, but would love a recommendation on this... I want to leave the front AC in but delete the rear.