Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 14" tires for 4WD (stock rims)

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: 14" tires for 4WD (stock rims)

I personally much prefer the handling and performance of a LT series "C" rated tire. I have run in an LT27X8.50R14 size the now discontinued BFGoodrich All-Terrain t/a KO and Wildcat A/T's as well as Maxxis 751 Bravo Radial and my current General Grabber AT2 in that order. I'm not sure if the Bravos are still available but they were a great all around tire with low road noise compared to the other AT's with a decidedly street biased milder tread and rounded edges. They never had an issue with rubbing. So far I'm not real impressed with the Grabbers. They seem a little squirmy for my driving style compared to the others I've used. I just got these mounted the week of Christmas and haven't played with air pressure much yet. I like to run them at 40psi and with my driving style(Sports car road rally)I get good handling and even tread wear. I also made sure both my vans had the front suspension adjusted to correct ride height with one of them being lifted after the BFG's had been on for a few years. I have also had P-metric tires on both of my Toyota vans and one my Mitsubishi's as well and both my wife and daughter, who don't drive anywhere near as aggressive as I do, have commented on the difference in handling between the P-metric and LTs.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    I personally much prefer the handling and performance of a LT series "C" rated tire. I have run in an LT27X8.50R14 size the now discontinued BFGoodrich All-Terrain t/a KO and Wildcat A/T's................
    FYI, the Dean Wildcat tires were the Cooper Discoverer tires rebranded for Les Schwab (a NW tire sales chain) to sell. I ran the Wildcat's with heavy loads for years and they performed well. A few years after Les Schwab discontinued them I got a set of the Discoverers, but by then they were crap. They had no sidewall strength and one by one they all started getting the "delamination bubbles". After 2 months I took them off and started buying the Korean commercial 14" tires (Nankang, and Hancook). The Korean tires are tough, but they have limited tread choices. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 toyota vanwagon

thanks for your in-depth response, according to https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r14-27-8.5r14
    the 27X8.50R14 is a fraction larger than the 205/75-14. So, before you had the front suspension adjusted, did they rub at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Quote Originally Posted by pigneguy View Post
    So, before you had the front suspension adjusted, did they rub at all ?
    The first tires I had were the BFG's. Despite being the same size they had the narrowest tread width. Tire width can be measured at the tread or at the sidewall below the tread when mounted to a specific width of wheel depending on the manufacturer. The only time they rubbed prior to adjusting the suspension was at full left turn. The front inside edge of the right tire would rub some reinforcement brackets welded to the frame particularly when hitting a bump at full left. This is remedied by simply turning the steering stop bolt.
    In case you aren't aware, the front suspension is relatively easy to adjust as well. There are a few threads here that explain the process complete with images of the relevant service manual pages showing how much and where to measure.
    Proper front end alignment is also something I consider crucial to the scenarios being discussed.
    There are also some other tires out there in this size that I have no experience with such as the Kenda Klever. Just Google the 27x8.50r14 size.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    FYI, the Dean Wildcat tires were the Cooper Discoverer tires rebranded for Les Schwab (a NW tire sales chain) to sell. I ran the Wildcat's with heavy loads for years and they performed well. A few years after Les Schwab discontinued them I got a set of the Discoverers, but by then they were crap. They had no sidewall strength and one by one they all started getting the "delamination bubbles". After 2 months I took them off and started buying the Korean commercial 14" tires (Nankang, and Hancook). The Korean tires are tough, but they have limited tread choices. Tim
    Hey Tim.
    My brother has had a set of the Nankang's on his VW Westfalia for a few years and is happy with them. I actually told him about them based on your recommendations. I prefer a more aggressive all-terrain for my not nearly frequent enough off-highway excursions.
    I really liked the Wildcats as well. The ones I had I bought used and were pretty old but the price was right. The Bravo's were purchased used as well and did good though they had a milder tread than I would have liked. They did harden with age to the point they are a little sketchy on wet pavement.
    I had one of the brand new Grabbers develop a side wall bubble in less than 400 miles. I had high hopes for them based on the reviews here but what feels like tread block flex has me a little concerned in emergency maneuvers. Like I said before, I still need to play with air presure.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 toyota vanwagon

Thanks again for fast response with detailed info. I ride vintage scooters and BMW's so it's always hands on with the wrenching. Know nothing about 4 wheelers tho, so this forum is invaluable. Googled 27x8.50r14 after last message. Have you or anyone else had any experience with Starfire ?

https://www.prioritytire.com/starfir...tid=N931186-99

https://www.prioritytire.com/starfir...tid=N931186-99

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

I have no experience with that brand. Do your due diligence. None of the reviews on that site really pertain to actual experience with the tire so not much help there.