Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blower (cabin heat) motor issues

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Blower quit working

I had to poke mine with a stick(actually a coat hanger)for a while until I had time to repair it. If the brushes get worn sometimes it won't start on it's own. At first I found if I was driving and flipped the fresh air lever back and forth it would start but as it got worse I bent a coat hanger so I could reach up behind the headlight and give it a nudge. Eventually I pulled the blower and replaced the brushes since I was too cheap to buy the $40 new one.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van 2WD 3YEC Auto Trans. Silver (Toofus) 1987 Toyota Van 4WD 4YEC Manual Trans. White (Doofus)

I forgot to mention that the rear blower still works.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van 2WD 3YEC Auto Trans. Silver (Toofus) 1987 Toyota Van 4WD 4YEC Manual Trans. White (Doofus)

Well I think I figured it out. So I turned the blower on high and gave the blower motor a couple of love taps and it whirred to life. So I think that the blower motor brushes are on their way out or the commutator is going bad. Do any of you have a part number for the brushes? I would rather just replace those as I am sure they are cheaper than the whole motor and brushes are usually easy to swap and the motor is easily accessed.

Also, when I pulled out the blower resistor it was full of lint (not surprising considering it is directly in the airstream) and when I cleaned it out the silver paste stuff fell off in chunks and now the blower only works on high. I had this happen with my other van, these resistors are very fragile and old. So now I get to add the resistor to the list along with new brushes.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

The motors aren't all that expensive, $25-$30 at rockauto.com and around $55 from Napa. I just enjoy fixing things. I'm also a cheap bastard. When I got my brushes I took the motor to a local shop and they couldn't find any thing available for it. They did find a Mitsubishi set covered in dust that was a close match and just gave them to me. Score 1 for this cheap bastard. It is a bit noisier now for some reason despite a thorough cleaning and lube. I'm not sure if this is related to the brushes or not. I kept the brush package for the part number but it's buried in my garage. I'll try to post it when I can but no guarantees.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I once took apart an old RV water pump and stole the brushes out of that. They were slightly large, but brush material is soft and they were easy to sand down to size. You can also try those drawer/bins at hardware stores as they will often have sizes close enough to work (or at least be made to work). BTW, there is lots more material here on blower motors. Don't forget about the search feature. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Yes, I did a search for "blower motor" and read a few write ups. I was just having a tough time believing that it was the motor as my other van has 230K miles and I have never had an issue with the blower. I wonder if Toyota sells the brushes. A long time ago I used to sell and repair sewing machines and vacuum cleaners and we had all sorts of brushes for different vacuum cleaners. I'll bet that a vacuum repair shop would have brushes that would work.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4x4 5 speed

Front blower acting funny

So i need a little insight on the front blower. About a month ago it wouldnt work, i messed with the climate knobs and after moving the fresh/circulate back and forth it began working. Its been intermittent since and also seems to run very slowly, i almost cant hear it running and definitely doesnt compare to thr power the rear blower has. Ive read a few threads on the blower but most just seem to deal with replacing due to them not working at all or changing out some resistors if its only running on high but mine doesnt fall into either of those, at least im hoping it doesnt need replaced. Are there any spots i should check or should i just tear into it? Im wondering if something funny is going on with the speed selector since it seems to start working again when the stuff around it is moved and it seems to stay the same speed when it is working.

Thanks!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van

Re: Front blower acting funny

Quote Originally Posted by Jlhollowx13 View Post
    So i need a little insight on the front blower. About a month ago it wouldnt work, i messed with the climate knobs and after moving the fresh/circulate back and forth it began working. Its been intermittent since and also seems to run very slowly, i almost cant hear it running and definitely doesnt compare to thr power the rear blower has. Ive read a few threads on the blower but most just seem to deal with replacing due to them not working at all or changing out some resistors if its only running on high but mine doesnt fall into either of those, at least im hoping it doesnt need replaced. Are there any spots i should check or should i just tear into it? Im wondering if something funny is going on with the speed selector since it seems to start working again when the stuff around it is moved and it seems to stay the same speed when it is working.

Thanks!
    Im guessing if you hit the reset buttons and its still not working I would just replace it. If your heater or AC works the damage on repair for the blower shouldn't be too bad?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    88 4x4 5 speed

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to reset it? I wasnt able to find any info exactly on that, just the mention of it.

One thing to note, i came home on my dinnet break from work last night and when i went to leave the blower wouldnt blow at all. I messed with the climate control stuff as that usually fixes it temporarile but had no effect. I had my glovebox off as i was trying to check connections, etc in there so i gave the motor a tap with my screwdriver and it started working again and blowing a lot harder than it has.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

Sounds like your brushes may be worn. Sometimes when they are bounced around they make enough contact to get the motor to work. Mine did this for awhile too like yours and when I moved the fresh air flap sometimes it would come on. When that quit working I carefully poked it with a coat hanger from behind the headlight to push start it. Eventually it quit all together. I replaced the brushes on mine but I like fixing things like this. If soldering new brushes into an old motor isn't your thing the aftermarket motors aren't all that expensive. Resetting the circuit breaker won't help you here. If it had actually tripped, the motor wouldn't work at all. The breakers don't reset themselves. Since your glovebox is out, next time it doesn't come on test the voltage at the fan connector. If you've got voltage then your motor is bad.

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

Blower motor issues - searched but could not find

Hey everyone, sorry if this is redundant. I know there are posts out there dealing with blower motor issues but I spent some time searching and can't find all the info I need. Leaving in the morning for St. Louis and really would like get this fixed.

I finally got around to adding more refrigerant to my AC system to get the rear blowing cold. All was going well and both front and rear were blowing cold, but then the rear blower quit working. So I turned the van off and went to reset the blower relay.. but I still had the key in the accessory position and got some sparks. Turned the key off and reset it again. Rear blows just fine, but now the front motor will not come on. There's another relay to the right of the fuse box that I thought controlled the front blower, so I reset that as well. But still no blower.

Can someone link me to the thread that identifies all the relay's and stuff under the dash?

It looks like I should be able to replace these right? But I can't get them out. Thought I'd pull one from the parts van and test.

What type of damage could I have done?

Also, there was no smoke from under the dash or electrical smells like I burned any wiring up.

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

Re: Blower motor issues - searched but could not find

I initially tried resetting the front, not the back. After failing to remove the relay with the fuse box mostly out, I put everything back together and made a final attempt to reset the front relay. Front blower works now. I was afraid I was going to find a burned up connection on the back of the fuse back, but it looks like I'm lucky.

Won't be taking the van to St. Louis though. Found a real bad front passenger wheel bearing while doing maintenance. So much play I can't believe I didn't hear it while driving. No time to fix it before I leave.

Thanks everyone.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van 4x4 le 2016 sprinter 4x4

Under dash heater won't blow air

My 1988 toyota van 4x4 le heater fan will not turn on. I partially dissassembled the dash and can hear a relay "tick" on when I move the heater switch from off to low and then nothing as I toggle thru to high. Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE Auto

Re: Under dash heater won't blow air

Check the fuse first. It's one of those under the dash.

If the wire that plugs into the motor (behind the glove box) has 12v then the motor's shot. This is probably the case.

I had to replace mine recently. It's only like 30 bucks or so.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

Re: Under dash heater won't blow air

Do not forget the Blower Motor Resistor pack. This is what controls the various speeds of the fan motor. It is located at the 7 o'clock position on the fan shroud assembly. Search for excellent thread using "Blower Motor or Fan Resistor Pack". I have had several die to one speed or none before. There are notes in the thread concerning finding the resistor pack in Previas in the yards and how to make this work in the earlier vans.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1989 Toyota Van Wagon

Question Fan For A/C and Heat stopped working?

I recently bought a 1989 van wagon and the heat was working fine but the A/C seemed like it needed to be recharged. Now when I turn the air on nothing comes out of the air vents. At first it was just the front air vents and now the rear air has stopped working as well.

Any Ideas on what I should look at to fix this issue? I tried checking if a fuse was blown for the A/C but that didn't seem to be the problem.

Any info would be very useful. Thanks

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4 Van

Re: A/C and Blower Motor Fan Wont Come On.

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Yes, these fan resistors are a commonly failed part. Power is however only routed through the resistor when on the lower speeds. When set to high, this resistor is bypassed. This is the reason I suggested setting the fan to high while testing (just to rule out the resistor). You do bring up a good point though for anybody having a problem with lower fan speeds. Whenever your fan works on high, but not on a lower speed, the problem is almost always that resistor. Tim
    Hey Tim,I only have high and medium speed on my heater fan.Is the resistor available?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

Re: Blower (cabin heat) motor issues

Rockauto has a couple listed. I recently picked up a couple Toyota resistors on Amazon.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Master Ace Surf 4wd

Glad I found this thread! Ever since I got my van the two low speed blower settings didn't work. Just installed a new resistor and they work perfectly now! Love it when a fix is easy. Thanks TVT!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to fix my front heater for my '84 Van. I did all the repairs below the air from my heater is still not working, any suggestions?

I would like to mention I have the van for almost 2 years without front/rear heater and the old owner had a loop hose, so it wasn't connected to the heater at all. (I have connected the hoses with the heater).
    Name:  7A.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  89.2 KB

1. I tested my heater relays with my drill’s battery and a multimeter and I got 00.3 continuity. (I followed this tutorial)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ire7vyDqelg

2. I replaced my resistor and motor with new ones. (both were in a bad shape)
    Name:  1A.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  99.8 KB
    Name:  2A.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  100.0 KB

3. I replaced my bad old fuse box and 3 bad connections with clean ones.
    Name:  3A.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  97.1 KB
    Name:  4A.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  88.4 KB

4. Tested my heater blower switcher and it gave me continuity.
    5. I tested my Circuit Breaker and it gave me 00.3 continuity. I tried to reset it but I'm not sure if I did anything, I can't tell . Is it like pushing a button?

6. After trying everything above, I bought from Toyota dealership 2 30A and the 80A Fuses and replaced them in my Fusible Link.
    Name:  5A.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  91.1 KB

Something else I have noticed under my van’s steering wheel, I have 2 relays and the diagram has 3 relays. But I have asked other Van owner and some of them have 2 relays as well.
    Name:  6A.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  90.2 KB

Also I have this guy is not plugged anywhere, what is it?
    Name:  new.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  83.1 KB

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by iq_artwork; 10-14-2020 at 07:55 PM.