Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlights — High Beams working; Low Beams out

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 van wagon

Headlights low beams don't work

Having a light issue low beams don't work but when I turn on high beams high beam headlamps and low beam headlamps come on. Thought I would see if someone might know the cause before I get into it deep. Checked fuses and fusable link looks good. Wondering if it is the switch. Thanks for any info ahead of time

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd work van 87 4wd play van

Re: Headlights low beams don't work

You need to replace the low beams, that's how they work (or don't)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 van wagon

Thanks bigeo both lights went out at ounce so I thought for sure it was at the switch you saved me some troubleshooting time

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

???

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

I had to replace my whole switch assembly when mine went out. It had burned out at the pin connector along the bottom of the steering column. First my lows went then my highs. For a while they worked only when the switch was pulled back like to flash the lights before it totally went.

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Hmmmm. Our 89 van, the dash lights come on, and the high beams will come on when stalk isbpylled back, but i cannot figure out why the headlights wont come on. Which pin connector? Was it visibly burnt?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 TV.

Yeah it was visible when you looked at it. Brown outside and blackened inside. I want to say it was the ground wire. I tossed the part a when we moved to Hawaii, sorry.

My Van(s):
    87 4wd cargo 88 4wd cargo

Headlights — High Beams working; Low Beams out

hi fellow van ratz with the help from our fellow owners over the years i've always been able to repair my lil van. i,m kinda scat now cuz i'm not that electrical smart. as stated there is no power to the plug which powers up low beam. i checked the fuses. all looked ok. i removed the cover under the steering wheel and checked the pins, they looked ok also. with a quick search i read justdrummins thread and saw that there is a plug which goes into the back of the fuse block. i think i should check there next? just kinda odd only one light out. i should mention that a dude with big feet got in the pass side then i did notice no lo on that side a few days later? did big foot do the damage? also do you have to take the plastic part of the grill off to get the old lamp off? as i said i've always been able to fix my van with the help from you guys and hoping i can get a lil more insite to this situation. thanx in advance for any replies. keep'em runnin n rollin. when your in outerspace nobody can hear you scream!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 van wagon 1986 van cargo

Re: passenger side low beam out no power at plug?

Removing the plastic trim will give you better access to the headlamp. The chrome trim needs to be removed next. The tiny screw were rusted in on mine, I removed the bucket, or nacelle, by removing the headlamp adjuster screws, and spent some time getting those rusty screws out[replaced them with new, from hardware store]. I replaced all four lamps last summer on my 86, it was a bit of a job!!

My Van(s):
    87 4wd cargo 88 4wd cargo

thanx for the heads up technocj on the headlight bezel removal i ended up trying the wire wiggle method but really no use unless you have somebody to watch up front..lol. and its been a long time since i've had to get under the dash. hum i forgot what a tight fit it is to really get under there!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 van wagon 1986 van cargo

My headlights failed on my 85 a few years ago, they got dim first. I found the connector at fuse box burned. repaired it by using new female connector and cutting the corner off of the fusebox connector to allow the new connector to fit. The headlights failed again last month, same problem, replaced the female connector again, they are much brighter now. I think both lamps would be out if it was the connector, are you sure it is not the lamp? When working on fuse box, I remove the glove box and support for it, to improve access. 4 screws to do that, as I recall.

My Van(s):

Do you remember if it caused one of the light relays to make a buzzing noise when stalk was pulled back?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

My Van(s):

I used some 1000v diodes to make up a teplacement diode, and bypassed the wht/blk wire while installing.Name:  2016-04-27_07.02.27.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  94.5 KB
    Name:  2016-04-27_07.03.36.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  107.1 KB

My Van(s):

Not my prettiest work, but it got the job done. Whenever we put her column covers back on i will make it prettier. Shouldnt be a problem again, crystal is buyin l.e.d. headlights, so they shouldnt get the wires so hot.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Wagon LE

Weird: Only two of the four front headlights work on 1985 Van

Hi Everyone,

I bought myself a 1985 Van last December, and have brought it back to life. I saw it in an alley here in Edmonton Alberta (cold spot for this van).

I have an interesting "problem". No matter how I play with the light switches, I only get the inner two headlights working for low and high beams. I can't find any switches or signs of hacking done to the electrical, but I haven't pulled the dash off it to check closely. Cornering lights and everything else work fine.

What would be the best first step to do to figure out what has happened? I might start by pulling the front lights out and taking a look to see if there is continuity and the lights are just burnt out soon, but if that doesn't reveal anything I'll need some next step ideas.

Thanks!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 toyota van

Re: Weird: Only two of the four front headlights work on 1985 Van

Im having the opposite problem...highbeam only lights dont come on at all...and I have one dim headlight. I checked my junction box where the relays are located and low and behold its a little burnt. Thats the box under the middle of the dash. ...the headlight relay should be labeled....round plug above fusebox is what i would check first if i was you. Good luck and ill keep you updated and trust send photos when im off work.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Van Wagon LE - 2WD

Re: Weird: Only two of the four front headlights work on 1985 Van

park with your lights facing a wall,
    turn on your headlights on the switch, and then pull the lever to raise/lower your steering wheel

sometimes the wiring melts/frays/kinks/shorts and this is a quick way to check if thats whats happening. On my van my lights work hi-beam only, unless i have my wheel in the highest spot, bus driver style, which is how i like to drive anyways

if this trick does not work, check out your harness under the steering wheel panel, they could be blown beyond kink control

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota LiteAce Rwd CURRENT 1998 Pontiac Transport (gone) 1989 Dodge Caravan (gone) GREAT VAN 1972 VW Bus (Classic, but way under powered)

LOW Beam=No Beam Headlight Repair

1987 Van LE Problem----No Low Beams. High Beams---all four lights---Good, switch the stalk to Low----Blackout.

After reading a little on-line I came up with a solution, running a new ground for each low beam. The prices on RockAuto are SO CHEAP, I replaced everything. Both High Beams sealed units ($3.63 each=$7.26 a set) and both high beam connectors ($1.65 each=$3.30 a set) Both Low Beams sealed units ($3.71 each=$7.42 a set) and both low beam connectors ($1.71 each=$3.42 a set) $21.40 in parts $5.69 in shipping LESS THAN $30 for everything. A single Low Beam was $16.99 at Advance Auto---They had 1 in stock.

The secret was I ran a separate ground on the Low Beam from new the connector ground (about a 8" piece of 12 gauge wire with a hoop crimp connector) to the headlight bracket. I put a self tap screw to secure the new ground hoop/wire. With the "extra" ground wire---bright light on low. Now everything works as should, took about 1.5 hr - 2hr to replace everything with solder and shrink tape. Plus, the light output is significantly improved by having 4 new bulbs. (3 of mine were from different manufacturers---who know how old each was, 2 had interior moisture in the sealed unit)

Total Bill Less than $30-----Well worth the effort. The Bulbs say private manuafactur- They are Wagner with Napa Packaging.

JW

Electrical-Bulb & Socket : Headlamp Bulb
    WAGNER 4651 (Standard Replacement) Incandescent Sealed Beam Info
    High Beam [Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty]

[TABLE="class: main, width: 946"]
    [TR="class: part1"]
    [TD][TABLE="class: nobmp"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: listing-inner-content"]
    DORMAN 85810 3-Wire/Terminal Seal Beam Lamp 4002 & 4005 Bulb Info
    Low Beam

[/TD]
    [TD="class: listing-float-box-cell-shared, align: right"]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Re: LOW Beam=No Beam Headlight Repair

Was there a problem or just burnt out lowbeams?