Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Charging Air Conditioning System

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Vandi -'93 LiteAce 2CT, Auto, 4wd, Skylite!

Re: Charging Air Conditioning System

Its summer time again and wanted to top off my AC with R12.
    Blows nice and cold when driving, not so much while setting still.

the first post has link to R12 for sale on ebay,
    the last few posts in this thread talk about Redtek so searched it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-TEK-12a...frcectupt=true

I'm uncertain of how everyone says the R12 and R134 are not interchangeable and then we have bottles that say they are good replacements for both.
    Even with the designation R12a R134a, doesnt make sense to me.

I could make a quick road trip.
    https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...875745735.html

How is everyones Ac running the start of this summer?
    I was a member for 2 years before I bought my van.
    Vandi-

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If it blows cold when driving, that's about all you can expect. On these older systems, while sitting still you're not getting good air flow through the condenser, nor are you running the compressor at sufficient rpm, so it's not going to dump nearly as much heat (we all deal with that). If you put it in neutral and rev the engine above 2k RPM, then it should start working better, but it's really designed for doing it's job @ cruising speed with turbulent air (from moving) passing through the condenser. Personally, if it's cooling, I wouldn't "top off" unless I saw bubbles in the sight glass or I could see a pressure issue from a gauge set. Regarding other types of refrigerant, I've only used R-12, so I have no experience with the other stuff........perhaps one of the other guys will chime in.

So far (knock on wood), my AC has been working flawlessly since I reworked it in Aug of 2017 (as documented earlier in this thread). Good luck with yours . Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Vandi -'93 LiteAce 2CT, Auto, 4wd, Skylite!

Took me this long to check my system, while sitting still, @2k RPMs blows cool, no bubbles in sight glass, RPMs @ 3K started to see bubbles in sight glass, which agrees with above statement. Gotta be at cruising speed to enjoy A/C the system will need to be circulating rapidly. Also means Im not sufficiently low on R12.
    Thanks Tim,
    as that silly post that shows a generator and window unit on a car, I have now decided to try the air cooler, which looks to be a ice chest with a fan one it. Blows cool ice chest air. I have a over priced Yeti I can convert. These Sucklahoma summers can be very hot and muggy. And I travel with all 8 seats full and would like them to be comfortable.

https://youtu.be/ITtlxjvLQis

Ill set it in the way way back, strap her down and run it off battery power, or the back seat cigarette lighter.

If if anyone is already doing this post up.
    I was a member for 2 years before I bought my van.
    Vandi-

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

IMHO an ice based or 12V based cooler with a fan is a joke. There is no way you'll get the kind of BTU's needed to cool the interior of a van. Yes, I saw the guys thermometer with ~40 output temp, but he doesn't show ambient (inlet) air temp. I'm guessing he pulled that thermometer out of a fridge shortly before taking that video.