Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Charging Air Conditioning System

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Re: Charging Air Conditioning System

Yes, I have every intention to change over to Eviro-Safe. Have to get this thing working first.

Thanks for the encouragement !

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Been doing more digging and still there is no sign of anyone knowing why I have 3 AC ports. The low in the front near the evaporator is one, the I assume high side is on the condenser with the electric fan and only god knows what they used the one on the rear evaporator for.

Any ideas please chime in.

Thanks!

MT

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, it's not uncommon for there to be multiples. Sometimes you'll also find them on the compressor and on the dryer. I guess they could be helpful for doing a super thorough evacuation, but personally I just ignore them. Just use the ones under the front of the van. The one on the big line is low side and the one on the small line is the high side. Even though your dryer is new-ish I would recommend replacing that too......especially if you replace your compressor and/or change types of Freon. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Thanks Tim:

OK, I will not bother with the one on the rear evaporator. The high pressure down under next to the electric fan has no 134 fitting but the one coming out of the front evaporator does. Do you think these clowns just use the low side charge? The van by the way went to 3 different AC repair firms here in Daytona.

I still have not figure out the idle up diaphragm issue. The control works fine but works all the time even when the AC is off. I checked the VSV and it seems to be OK. How does the diaphragm work? Does it use suction to turn it off an on from the VSV?
    This had worked perfect before, go figure.

Thanks again

MT

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

More to the previous thread:

The diaphragms plastic control controls the idle but it does it both with the AC on or Off. This of course screws up my normal idle.

MT

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Read the upper left hand corner of the diagram below.

For whatever reason, on my 86 van, the idle-up did not activate when my AC compressor came on. Rather than spend time troubleshooting, I just ran a jumper wire between my compressor clutch wire and the idle-up VSV wire. Now whenever my compressor kicks in, so does that VSV, which in turn activates the idle-up diaphragm, and my idle speed increases to compensate for the compressor load. The idle-up diaphragm is adjusted while the AC compressor is on and I set mine to be a little higher than normal idle speed so it satisfies my AC amplifier's lowest setting. This way my compressor will stay running when I come to a stop light. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Tim:

Yes I can see where that would be an alternative trigger to turn on that VSV. Fortunately my system turns on the VSV normally. My problem is the what the diaphragm is doing. I did the same thing you did about a year ago. I set the diaphragm control so the rpm was a tad high when the AC came on. But now the diaphragm is active all the time. Whether I on the diaphragm VSV on or off the diaphragm Control still functions. So I cannot separate its idle adjustment from the normal idle of the engine.

I need to figure out how this diaphragm turns on an off. I checked the VSV by way of the test they show in the manual but I don't see anything there for the diaphragm. Do you have any history on the diagram?

MT

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If the VSV is working (engaging/disengaging and allowing/disallowing flow) but the idle speed does not increase/decrease, then it sounds like the idle-up diaphragm is messed up. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Well, I will have to put this one aside for a bit. I ran into some differential issues. Got a whirling noise coming from the entrance of the yoke into the meatball.
    So will have to come back to this.

I will jump up in a thread that has history on this and go from there. Thanks again.

MT

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

OK, while waiting for rear end parts I am jumping back on the air.

I pumped upped the system with UV dye and Freon and found a major leak on the seam between the compressor and the plate that connectors to both high and low pressure hose. The my 89 FSM shows a gasket and my 87 shows o rings.t Rock autos looks like it offers both but the 89 has an extra chamber or something due to the gasket picture the Rock autos is just square. Of course this compressor has been replaced three times with the same make. So the big question is which o ring set to get.
    Attached are pics of the differences.
    The amount of dye was so much it literally drips off the bottom of the compressor assembly. Then of course there are drips on the corners of the plate.

I would have thought that these jerks who put this in would have seen something so obvious. Anyone have any experience with this type of leak and the kind of seal that is used.
    I did not split the plate yet in case I had to leave it exposed to atmosphere while I waited for the seals. If I have to literally go in and see what I have should I just throw something in the high and low pressure holes till the part arrives?

Better yet if somebody has seen this kind of leak before.

Thanks to all

MT
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It almost has to be o-rings. When I did mine I ordered 2 different sets because they were cheap and I didn't want to come up short. If I thought there was a possibility of a gasket I would have ordered that too. After the job was done I had lots left over, but that was fine. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Thanks Tim:

Any idea why this continues to leak? Since the compressor has been changed 3 times my suspect may be the plate itself. Is there anything I should look closer at when putting new O rings in?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Check to make sure the bolts are tight, then check the mating surfaces for damage (scratches, cracks, bumps, foreign material, etc). I'd also use a straight edge to verify these surfaces are not warped. Look closely at the old o-rings to see if they got misaligned and/or pinched. If that happened part of the o-ring would be smashed or there would be an irregular flat spot. Check them carefully for nicks or cuts too.

When you put it back together, use some compressor oil on the new o-rings as this will help hold them in place and also help them squeeze out correctly when pressure is applied. And as always, other than oil, make sure these surfaces are spotlessly clean when going back together. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Roger that!

MT

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

OH! One more thing. Do you have a preferred O ring make or firm to get them?

At least before I order the Rock Auto ones.
    Thanks again

MT

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you get a new or rebuilt Denso compressor, I believe it will come with new o-rings, and I'd probably trust the Denso ones over anything aftermarket. If I recall correctly, I got 2 different sets (different brands) off of Rockauto.com too. It's been too long to remember which brands I got and/or if I got a stronger feeling of quality for one over the other. I'm guessing parts like these don't matter much, but I like Denso or OE Toyota parts if/when available. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Thanks for the input Tim.

Will keep you posted.

MT

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Well, I have stupid question:

When I look at my can of 134 freon it says to shake and turn upside down when filling turning can from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock . Well according to the FSM it says to charge the low side with the refrigerant in a vapor state not a liquid state meaning to not invert the can.

Was R12 different back in the day and 134 is different, hmmm don't think so.

Any comments?

MT

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Sorry people. I just got another can of this stuff at Avanced Auto and it says what my FSM says. So all OK.

MT

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If the system has a vacuum, with the can upside down it will suck the full charge of Freon/oil without even starting or engaging the compressor. After it sucks the Freon, although probably not necessary, I like to let it sit for ~ ½ hr (before starting) to allow vapor/liquid to migrate into the appropriate locations. Tim