Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Drive shafts and u-joints

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Re: Drive shafts and u-joints

Name:  20201118_131438.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  90.3 KB

happy to report, on the bumpstops which definitely looks like the shortest distance the driveshaft will see, there is still some play, couple hundred thousands, on a fully compressed previa alltrac rear driveshaft...if using one i would definitely remove the zerk and compress fully before installing, but i see no really issue with this....tc output flange seal replaced....now on to fj80 spring swap...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 toyota van with a country homes pop top

Hey there--
    I have had an 85 van for a few years now, I have done a few things to her, but never anything with the steering or underbelly. She feels a bit wobbly sometimes on the highway and I am wondering when you know you need to start replacing things? What are the signs or sounds? I am slightly paranoid because I have had a couple of scary moments with her (the country homes pop-top ripping off on a two lane highway far far from home, and the front drive shaft falling out on the highway closer to home).
    Any guidance would be much appreciated

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

front driveshaft falling out?!?@? yikes, that sounds extremely dangerous...cars have been known to pole vault when that happens..i suggest taking it to a shop..once up on a lift things can be inspected and advice given...hopefully theres some place close to where you live..

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyyota 4WD Van

Quote Originally Posted by Lois85 View Post
    Hey there--
    I have had an 85 van for a few years now, I have done a few things to her, but never anything with the steering or underbelly. She feels a bit wobbly sometimes on the highway and I am wondering when you know you need to start replacing things? What are the signs or sounds? I am slightly paranoid because I have had a couple of scary moments with her (the country homes pop-top ripping off on a two lane highway far far from home, and the front drive shaft falling out on the highway closer to home).
    Any guidance would be much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
    front driveshaft falling out?!?@? yikes, that sounds extremely dangerous...cars have been known to pole vault when that happens..i suggest taking it to a shop..once up on a lift things can be inspected and advice given...hopefully theres some place close to where you live..

I think I agree. Unless you are conversant with inspecting suspension and Steering, a competent (and Honest) shop can provide invaluable advice.

These rigs ARE on a recall for the front steering gearbox. You can google it and get informed from Toyota if yours has been corrected. If not, you can schedule a visit to the local Toyota dealership and they will inspect the box, re-lube it and replace the suspect seal - I did this on mine just because. Mine did not need the box replaced.

The benefit is they invariably do a safety inspection (Do NOT pay for this, or authorize any extra work - If they "volunteer" it and try to charge - contest it - on another recall, on another car, the dealership removed the unauthorized charges...) That safety inspection will tell you - for free - what is in need of fixing, and you DON'T have to use them to fix it.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

85 van are 2WD only, as such they do not have a "front driveshaft", perhaps the front joint failed on the rear shaft??
    The only way I could imagine a pop top coming off at speed is if it wasn't locked down, or the locks were broken.
    No matter
    Generally things should be quiet, anything that goes bump, clunk, grind, whirr or crack, needs to be inspected ASAP
    Any vehicle should be inspected when first purchased and at least once a year after that.
    If you are unable to do so yourself you need a qualified garage that you trust.

All garages need to earn money to survive and an honest shop deserves to thrive.
    Working for free doesn't keep anyone in business and a free inspection is worth exactly what you pay for it.
    The whole purpose of a free inspection is to generate paid work for the shop and there is a slight conflict of interest there.
    Paying for a proper inspection should get you a less biased report and a proper list of needs, in order of necessity,
    rather than a cherry picked list of easy profit generators.

The only other option is to learn how to do it yourself, the best part of that is you will never have another unexpected failure.
    Because you will have looked at that recently, or heard it or last time you were in there, you noted something and ordered the parts in anticipation of today.....

85 van should have a steering box, complete with drag link and idler arm.
    86> vans have a bevel gear and steering rack
    There was a recall on the bevel gear only, does not apply to the box and is vin specific.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Spicer 5-3202x u joints also work as a staked in replacement for the 4wd manuals. They are an alternate part option to the rockford 430-10s or Neapco 1-0430s https://www.actionmachineinc.com/pro...28961593294900. I just finished installing a pair of them on my 87 4wd manual on the rear driveshaft and they fit. I completed a short trip of about 150 highway miles and i didnt notice any vibrations. So Spicers can also be used as an option instead of replacing the whole shaft or instead of rockfords. they are also only 25 bucks a piece on summit.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyyota 4WD Van

Headhunter, How did you get past the staking?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

with a harbor freight press https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ess-33497.html just pressed on the caps until the stakes snapped. worked quite well and went better than i thought it. if you do it like that i would make sure to put a spacer in between the ears to support them while pressing. while i didnt, i would use a spacer if i had to do it again, it could bend your ears if you dont. i would also grind away as much of the stakes witha dremel too if i were to redo/do another driveshaft.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 5-spd Toyota Van

Can anyone tell me the output shaft angle of the motor?

I have installed an electric motor in place of the ICE and have the new electric motor and trans are sitting a little higher than OEM making my output shaft and driveline parallel. A mismeasurement on my part when fabricating my electric motor mount.

After some testing I was getting some binding while decelerate and off throttle. The rear axle could be diving down too. I need to match the angle of the outshaft and pinion in the rear diff and make them parallel. Could someone help me? I have a carb referee appointment soon and need it running properly for the inspection.

Thanks,

Christopher

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyyota 4WD Van

If you are getting binding I suspect you are bottoming out the sliding spline, or its getting too "tippy fingers".

Those angles are not that critical, and not being parallel; well any load will eliminate that in a hurry. (rear squat...) So will a rear only lift.

Another possibility is too much angle on the U-joint itself? Is this a 4WD with a lift?