Thread: turn signals (all of them) stopped working on 84 van

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van LE

turn signals (all of them) stopped working on 84 van

Hello all,
    my turn signals all of a sudden stopped functioning on my 84 van. The fuse was blown, so I replaced it. Then they stopped working on the dash indicator, but the lights themselves were flashing. Then it all went out again. Checked the fuse and it's fine. Any ideas? Also, a diagram of the relays, etc for an 84 would help, if any one has that stuff!
    Thanks

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van LE

Re: turn signals (all of them) stopped working on 84 van

I've seen the posts that refer to this situation, but in an '87 van...are the parts, diagrams the same or different for an '84?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van LE

Name:  IMG_0041.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  27.3 KB
    is this the blinker relay? I will replace this and see if that does it...if this is, indeed the correct piece. Anyone?
    unless it could be something in the steering column where the turn signal control is?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

That relay controls your fuel pump.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van LE

ok. So, if the wires go straight to the lights from the turn signal switch, then I need to replace that switch? If one light was out or shorted then the lights would just flash faster...not absolutely nothing like what I have going on?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Power goes from the 7.5A "Turn" fuse, to the turn switch, then to the flasher, and out to the lights (no relays). If you're blowing that fuse, then it's likely a short somewhere. If the fuse is good, but no power, then you'll need to get a test light and track the circuit. Make sure the correct bulbs are installed and the sockets are in good condition. Not much other help to offer on jobs like this as they require "hands-on". Good luck. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo

Hello! I thought I would post my turn signal issue here as it seems like the most relevant thread. Any help would be appreciated!

When I try to engage my right hand turn signal, my Turn Signal Flasher buzzes (sounds like a warning). Also when this happens, the right-hand turn signal arrow in my instrument panel illuminates solid, but the exterior turn bulbs do not illuminate. My left-hand turn lights are perfectly fine. I would think that the buzzing from the flasher means that it is busted and needs to be replaced. Right? The problem developed over time. At first the solid light in the instrument panel, buzzing sound lasted a second, then it would start working again. Then it would last for a minute before recovering. Now its constant - a solid green arrow in the dash, buzzing from the flasher, and no illumination of any kind from the right-turn exterior bulbs. I hope this makes sense. Common sense tells me the flasher needs to be replaced, but I figured I would see if any one has had this issue before. (Fuse is fine, bulbs and and terminals are fine. Tried wiggling wires and spraying the signal switch with contact cleaner to no avail.)

Thanks!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

"Common sense tells me the flasher needs to be replaced"
    - That ain't common sense talking, it's frustration,
    because:
    "
    My left-hand turn lights are perfectly fine."

If the flasher were at fault, both sides would suffer the same fate.

One time, I had a dual filament bulb blow and when the filament blew it
    landed on the other filament and caused a short and caused a host of weird issues and I wasted several hours chasing my tail, when all I really needed to do was replace that bulb.
    Just saying that sometimes, the stupidest things can cause an immense amount of grief, always pays to start with the easiest stuff and work from there.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    84 2wd Manual vanwagon

I believe I am having the same issue, however I am unable to find where the flasher is actually located. Do any of you have a picture showing where it is? I have an 84 van as well