Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: replacing engine, different year 4Ys, need help

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 panel, 2wd, 5spd

Re: Parts needed for 5 speed swap???

Output shaft is more of an output plate, just remove the torque converter from the Auto engine and bolt on the flywheel from the engine you’re replacing. you should be good to go.
    Bueller?

My Van(s):
    1988 4WD 5 Speed #1 - 1988 4WD 5 Speed #2

Re: Parts needed for 5 speed swap???

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Regarding fit, engines are identical. The only difference for a manual transmission is you will need a pilot bearing in the crank-shaft. The only other difference would be the injectors. You will either need to swap injectors or harness connectors to make them fit. If your donor engine doesn't include injectors, then it's a non-issue. Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by groundown View Post
    Output shaft is more of an output plate, just remove the torque converter from the Auto engine and bolt on the flywheel from the engine you’re replacing. you should be good to go.
    Thanks for the input guys! Im actually thinking of having a full rebuild done on the donor motor at a machine/assembly shop. Ive never done anything like that before but I assume they will reassemble it right up to the injectors and harness. The donor engine is already out of van on a stand so I can get it to the machine shop easy enough but I'm not sure I have the skills or equipment to swap out old with new. Tim, you wanna do it?