Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    67 Chevy 69 Chevy 70 Chevy 96 Previa 04 Sprinter

Re: Have Previa - Will Lift

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod325 View Post

2 choices for 2006 Sienna strut-
    AWD and 6 or 7 passengers.
    is there s source for mounting plate?
    part numbers or specs would be appreciated.
    also- what tire size is max and good all terrain?
    ✌🏼
    I don't recall having those options when I got my struts. I assume any of them will work.
    I fabbed the strut mounting plates to simplify the next strut replacement. It is absolutely not necessary to the project. I made that point perfectly clear in the original write up.
    My opinions about tire sizes are also well stated in the original write up. I am on my second set of 215/85R15 tires. I have no relevant opinion about tire brands or tread patterns.

It's been 6 or 7 years and 30K miles since the lift. I recently replaced both front half-shafts because that was cheaper than replacing just the torn boots. The CV joints themselves were fine.
    I don't believe the boot failures were exacerbated by the lift. And, FWIW, I was able to R&R the half-shafts without removing the wheels or disassembling the hubs and steering knuckles.

Lastly, I still haven't found a good solution to the rear shock problem. I am currently running some units that have the correct upside-down mount configuration and are a couple inches longer than stock, but they will top out at full droop.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1995 Previa AllTrac S/C

1965 mustang, 6 cyl shocks have a stud on each one.
    my Previa has an eyelet on top. Anyone know what rear shocks work?
    Going with AWD struts- hope they work.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

KYB 343131, but you have to remove the "dog bone" from the upper eyelet. Not an easy task. You'll probably need to reuse the rubber bushings from your old shocks.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1995 Previa AllTrac S/C

Just found this out for rear-
    98 Tacoma 2 wheel drive
    ordered gas adjust today.
    Ordering TRW struts- can’t find anything good.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1994 Previa AT S/C

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadia77 View Post
    New to Previa ownership and naturally, I'm interested in mods. Found this build thread recently. A friend of mine in Seattle shared a pic with me yesterday - gotta wonder if this van belongs to anyone on this board. Potato quality - can't read the plate.

Attachment 6812
    I bet this is my car, but this photo was probably taken when the previous owner had it. It looks just about the same just a rack on the back now. It does have a dent on the tailgate.

IMG_20210405_100859 (1).jpg

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van MT 4WD 1995 Toyota Previa All-Trac S/C 1996 Toyota Previa RWD S/C

For a second I thought that could have been my new van but then I looked at the date...lol
    20221115_154536.jpg20230401_072554.jpg
    Mine and yours are almost twins. I also just camperized this one, my third Previa, here's the YouTube tour link: https://youtu.be/W_HXFEsSquM

I bought this one from Samay last year, dual sunroof, 4WD, lifted unicorn with JDM lights. If anyone is wondering, wheels are 15" with +6 offset (I wanted -6 but couldn't find these in stock) with 215/75/15 AT tires. The wheels dropped by MPG by about 1-2.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 Previa LE alltrac N/A

Quote Originally Posted by tbuyan View Post
    KYB 343131, but you have to remove the "dog bone" from the upper eyelet. Not an easy task. You'll probably need to reuse the rubber bushings from your old shocks.

I have a 94 LE Alltrac n/a. Did the 2" lift with sienna struts, mustang springs, and added threads to kyb rear shocks.

Just yesterday I felt something different when I pulled into my parking spot. Got out and saw that my rear left shock was broken right at the coupler for the allthread.

Now I'm searching all the different options for replacements without having to modify the threads to get the correct length so they don't clunk over bumps, and also have that weak point where it broke.

Do these shocks with the dogbone in the eyelit work well? Can i cut and press that dogbone out and use bushings? They seem to have over an inch more extension and about the same compression as the stock Monroe.

I just ordered some stock Monroe from oreilly to put on the van to get me by until I figure out the best solution.

20231217_162558.jpg20231217_162610.jpg

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 Previa LE alltrac N/A

This really is a horrible mounting design for the rear shocks. They sit so low and close to the ground where rocks and curbs can reach them. The angles on the bottom seem off and looks like it puts unnecessary strain on the shocks.
    What do you think? Is there any good solution to this?
    20231217_162647.jpg

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 AWD Toyota previa

This isn't a good suggestion honestly, but I have wondered errantly if one could flip the axle so everything would sit on top.

I don't know where you would get the range of motion though. Seems like youd have to put strut towers inside the rear of the van body.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I've been running the KYBs for a couple or three years now. After removing the dog bones and installing steel bushings the mounting works well. Overall the best solution I've found for what should be a simple problem.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    94 Previa LE alltrac N/A

What steel bushings did you get?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Been a while, but I think I just used the bushings from the old shocks. Or I might have found some in my drawer of shock grommets and bushings.