Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have Previa - Will Lift

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Previa 1992 AWD ABS LE Lifted. Toyota previa 1991 rear wheel DX sold Toyota previa 1994 rear wheel non/SC LE sold Toyota previa 1991 rear wheel LE sold

Re: Have Previa - Will Lift

Same color I believe, of the one I sold to my old room mate. I replaced the shocks, struts, rear coils and strut mounts, etc on it except the front coils (they need to be custom made now a day $300 because as I understand it they have been discontinued, would be nice to find an front coil of similar specs to the Previa from an different make and model) and had new tires on it. She lives in that area of Seattle. Though my intuition is thats probably not the same rig. ~ ; ~

Edit: Ooo I took a closer look and now id bet its the old 91 DX i used to own (I loved that van) It has the dent on the back!
    Last edited by previa tank; 06-20-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    67 Chevy 69 Chevy 70 Chevy 96 Previa 04 Sprinter

Regarding Previa front spring availability, RockAuto lists complete Sienna strut assemblies (strut, spring, cushions, mount, etc.). The upper end of the spring is different from the Previa, but, assuming the 3-bolt pattern is the same, it should work.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,15174

As a bonus, the springs should be stiffer than the Previa because of the Sienna's front engine configuration.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Previa 1992 AWD ABS LE Lifted. Toyota previa 1991 rear wheel DX sold Toyota previa 1994 rear wheel non/SC LE sold Toyota previa 1991 rear wheel LE sold

Thats awsome Tbuyan! ^ _ ^ I may well end up trying this out. first id cross reference the specs for ride hight, order one and an previa strut mount to an auto parts store to compare the bolt pattern.

My current previa I believe has an bent frame from the look of it and what the alignment shop says (quarter of an inch off or so), so first ill try bracing the frame and pulling on the one end to try twerking the frame before I buy another AWD previa but my eyes are sorta on the market again. ~ ; ~

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

No need to check ride height. These are the same struts I use for the lift, but are "loaded" with springs, mounts, etc.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE SC

Quote Originally Posted by tbuyan View Post
    I'm trying to load these pictures in a logical sequence, but the site refuses to upload some of them. So the sequence is all screwed up. Sorry to jump around so much. The half-inch threaded steel spacer secured in place with bolts down through from the top. No need to tear the dashboard and airbag apart next time I replace a strut.
    I am replacing my struts on my 95 which has an airbag on the passenger side. How do you remove the airbag to get to the top of the strut on the passenger side? I need to do that also because I need to also replace intercooler. Any help would be great. No pics or video online I could fine of any of the tear outs or breakdown of the pass side that included the airbag removal. Thanks MG.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

My Previa guru says he removes the passenger side strut without removing the airbag, but I can't see how. Although I don't recall the specific 1-2-3; a-b-c sequence for removing the air bag, i'm certain it was no big deal. However, DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL AND WAIT 30 MINUTES before diving into any airbag wiring!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE SC

My Previa guru says he removes the passenger side strut without removing the airbag, but I can't see how. Although I don't recall the specific 1-2-3; a-b-c sequence for removing the air bag, i'm certain it was no big deal. However, DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL AND WAIT 30 MINUTES before diving into any airbag wiring!!
    I need to raise the air box and storage box because I need to do the struts and also the intercooler. It leaked and was broken by previous owners.. never swapped.. so I'd like to not have to take airbox out and try the lift of the dash and lock box and the airbag is on top on ours in this version.. so just wanted to make sure i didn't break or fired the airbag while lifter the box with a jack. Any info appreciated.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

The intercooler is located behind the bumper cover in front of the LF tire, only on supercharged models. You must be referring to the heater core or AC evaporator, under the dash. In either case, I have no experience beyond what I have already posted.

Take pictures and post them in a new thread so others can benefit from your experience.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE SC

The intercooler is located behind the bumper cover in front of the LF tire, only on supercharged models. You must be referring to the heater core or AC evaporator, under the dash. In either case, I have no experience beyond what I have already posted.

Take pictures and post them in a new thread so others can benefit from your experience.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL!!
    Sorry - Heater core - - Wrong one..

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa

What are the benefits of lifting the previa? if I were too do this, would I have to drive more carefully? I just recently inherited a previa and the first time ever as a primary caretaker of a vehicle so I know little to jack squat when it comes to automobiles, but I am learning and trying my best to take care of the only vehicle I have. A friend of my dad's who recently replaced the front right CV and ball joint in my previa said I needed new struts..

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by pnwPrevia View Post
    What are the benefits of lifting the previa?
    The practical benefit for lifting a Previa (or any vehicle) is increased underbody clearance. Completely unnecessary if you drive only on pavement or well graded dirt roads, and not in deep snow. The impractical reason is because it looks better. Of course, some folks LOWER vehicles for that same impractical reason.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE SC

The practical benefit for lifting a Previa (or any vehicle) is increased underbody clearance. Completely unnecessary if you drive only on pavement or well graded dirt roads, and not in deep snow. The impractical reason is because it looks better. Of course, some folks LOWER vehicles for that same impractical reason.
    Can u send a complete list if you had stock and wanted to convert. I have a 95 SC RWD version. I did order the stock KYB changeovers, but see u have other items in the fix. .lifting the rear with what items? Will all items from stock - strut and or mounting pieces are used or it's a whole new front complete front assembly?

What's the items list?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Mgonthier View Post
    Can u send a complete list if you had stock and wanted to convert. I have a 95 SC RWD version. I did order the stock KYB changeovers, but see u have other items in the fix. .lifting the rear with what items? Will all items from stock - strut and or mounting pieces are used or it's a whole new front complete front assembly?

What's the items list?
    Read the entire thread from beginning to end. It's all in there.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa

What are some cons? I’m sure driving slower would be one especially around turns. I’m guessing because it makes it even more top heavy. I haven’t driven anything taller than a standard Previa tho

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by pnwPrevia View Post
    What are some cons? I’m sure driving slower would be one especially around turns. I’m guessing because it makes it even more top heavy. I haven’t driven anything taller than a standard Previa tho
    No question it raises the center of gravity (makes it more "top heavy"). That said, the difference is imperceptible; I make no allowance for it while driving. To say it another way: Find something else to worry about.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van MT 4WD 1995 Toyota Previa All-Trac S/C 1996 Toyota Previa RWD S/C

Just adding an update. Samay in Seattle was able to lift the rear for me but the front left camber was out by 10 degrees post lift on the passenger side, even with camber bolts in the top AND bottom. Must have been in an accident, although everything looked perfect underneath. Had to undo it all unless I wanted to take time to make a custom control arm.

Camperization went amazingly well though. Final weight with 2 adults is 2100kg. Looking to buy a super-clean one from Samay in Seattle to do a final version I can lift and put on 31's.

Full tour here: https://youtu.be/JXdwQSGqQtQ

DSC06058-2.jpgDSC06127.jpgIMG_20191018_113659_1.jpgIMG_20200201_144935.jpg

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 AWD Toyota previa

Wow that camper conversion is a great use of space with nice fit and finish!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1995 Previa AllTrac S/C

PARTS LIST NEEDED for complete lift

I feel the Previa is the best vehicle ever made. I’m a mechanic and love reliable, versatile, cool vehicles.
    it would be great if someone could make an actual parts list of what’s needed to lift a Previa.
    what year Sienna struts 06-11 ?
    where do you get the spacer plate?
    Anyone have luck with good rear shocks- Koni, Bikstein or gas adjust? Sachs is available.
    gabriel Ultra is most expensive on rockauto. Best ride?
    excel-g is probably too soft. I want good ride and cornering. Not jarring though.
    brake hose application or part number? I found Brake hose 38652 from another post. Napa has it.
    rockauto has a good selection and fair prices.
    Can we put together a parts list amongst all of us? What has worked the best for front and rear complete lift? I can weld, so let’s do this.
    3” lift with tires sounds great. What tire size are you guys liking most?
    I’d be willing to put together kits if needed for others once we have a dialed kit. I can have parts fabricated if needed.
    Peace

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

There are also some lift threads on the Previa forum at ToyotaNation too. I only look at the pictures and don't read them too carefully because its beyond my skill set and motivation level so I know I'll never mess with it. But maybe they can answer some of your questions

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1995 Previa AllTrac S/C

2 choices for 2006 Sienna strut-
    AWD and 6 or 7 passengers.
    is there s source for mounting plate?
    part numbers or specs would be appreciated.
    also- what tire size is max and good all terrain?
    ✌🏼