Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Spare Tire Swing Gate

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Rear Spare Tire Swing Gate

Hello All,

Tomorrow I will be meeting with a guy that fabricates bumpers-and-such for off-road vehicles (Like the one in the image below). He said he would fabricate one for the van . This may not be be an option for everyone because of the location (Corona, CA), but I think it is an awesome idea for vans with bigger tires or those that do a lot of extended traveling. -There is not much in the way of aftermarket parts for our vans, so I thought I could possibly send more business his way if there is interest.

Name:  3e340e_470c10472013420591e524f30e250763.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  55.8 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 M/T cargo

Re: Rear Spare Tire Swing Gate

I would love to hear what he quotes you on a swing away. This is definitely on my project list for down the road, but recently have not had much time to knock things off that list. Maybe if we get some people in on this we can get a bulk discount?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

It has been up there on my list as well. The owner said 400.00 dollars. -But I'll let you all know.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 Town Ace TD 5-speed 4WD

Count me in as well and I'm local. I've been looking at this for a while now. Here's some more ideas.

Name:  toyota-tacoma-2001-2004-rear-bumper-3.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  64.9 KBName:  toyota-tacoma-rear-bumper-no-swing-arms.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  14.2 KB

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    94 Previa modded with 5 sp manual tranny, 4wd high low transfer case, Torsen rear limited slip diff, 2" lift, DIY coilovers to allow 225/70r16 big tires, house battery.

Planning to do this on my Previa. With the bigger tires the spare does not fit in the OEM spare holder.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

I just bent p a piece of electrical metallic tubing last week for
    a swing gate......not pretty-but functional

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    IG:@dialupthevan 89 - 2WD - 201k 87 - 4WD - 188K

Any update on this?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Sorry for the delay. The owner runs a small, yet legit, fab shop out of his garage. He is a cool guy that was stoked to make one for the 4x4 Van. The hinge for the swing gate will be a little more complicated, as the rear hatch needs to clear it to open. So, with jerrycan mounts, different hinge, and modified mounting brackets, it comes to 500.00. -Not bad. Next Friday I have to drop the van off for a day for him to put it together. After that I'll post some pictures of the finished product.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Ian R. View Post
    Sorry for the delay. The owner runs a small, yet legit, fab shop out of his garage. He is a cool guy that was stoked to make one for the 4x4 Van. The hinge for the swing gate will be a little more complicated, as the rear hatch needs to clear it to open. So, with jerrycan mounts, different hinge, and modified mounting brackets, it comes to 500.00. -Not bad. Next Friday I have to drop the van off for a day for him to put it together. After that I'll post some pictures of the finished product.

No worries! can't wait to see the finished product

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Could you post this guys contact information? If not on the forums, then at least in a PM to me? Corona is about 20 miles from me, I'd love to check out his work. I have several fabricator friends, but all of them are more expensive than this. It's worth a little drive if his work is good.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

All welded up. Still need to paint it though.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1574
Size:  36.9 KB

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Hard to see from the one working picture, but looks cool to me. I'm wondering if he could make a double swinging gate for Jerry can on one side and tire on the other. Would require less swing out room too.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Yeah, sorry about the pictures. I tried to upload them from my phone. -Did not work to well. He probably would make that for you. Just going to cost/weigh more.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by 89TownAce View Post
    Hard to see from the one working picture, but looks cool to me. I'm wondering if he could make a double swinging gate for Jerry can on one side and tire on the other. Would require less swing out room too.
    I found some photos online of a TV with a rear tire gate + what appears to be a boat motor mount, that could easily be swapped out for a jerry can rig

Since the photos aren't mine I can't post them...but Im with you on looking into a tire gate / jerry can set up

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

I should have the bumper painted this weekend. Once I have that done I will post up better pictures.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

The van is in the shop currently. But here is an image from the other weekend. Still don't have the propane mounted yet. Plus a bonus image of the camper build that is almost complete.
    Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  31.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual DX

So killer, great job! Looks like the camping at Faria is pretty sweet too!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4 85 2wd

Ian your van interior looks great!

I like the idea behind the bumper. I'm worried that it's a lot of weight on a long arm, does it rattle?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 LE auto

Nice set up. What is the rear sleep platform dimensions?

I Have been trying (field testing?!) different configurations with mine. Recently acquired the rear bench and like the larger center 'lounge area with couch' after removing the captain's chairs. Bench seat weighs much less than one captains chair and goes in and out in seconds unlike captains chairs.

Can remove bench at camp site to sleep two or fold flat then bridge a Coleman camp table mating to a modular center table to have single sleep platform at window level running length wise.

it would be fun to do a toy van round up this summer and check out everyone's rigs & set ups.

West coast rendevous anyone?

20. 05-23-2016, 07:20 PM

Reason
    duplicate post

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Thanks!

The swing gate is very robust and bolts to the existing frame mounts. It holds a 20lb propane tank, 5 gallon gas can, 225 X 70 spare tire, and two bikes with out rattling. When it swings open with all that stuff on it remains solid. I would not jump up and down on the end of the gate while swung completely open however. I just really did not want to store the propane/gas in the van while traveling/sleeping in the van. Putting the bikes and spare tire on the back of the van vs the roof cuts down on drag as well.

The bed is 45" wide but is could be 46 inches. I can't remember off the top of my head. The bed is 48 inches long and slides out on a 500lb working rated drawer slider to 6 feet. Once bed is pulled out, I slide a slat/leaf in to fill the 2 foot gap and add the additional cushion. I use the engine hump as a bench seat (thinking about making some small cushions for added comfort) and I am trying to come up with an idea for a table that will swing up from the wall.

I was experimenting with the layout too for a while (gone through two different layouts). The goal was to maximize storage space w/o compromising visualization. I like all the windows and wanted to avoid covering them.

It would be fun to do a SoCal Meet Up! I should get the van back next week! My wife and I will be going on an extended road trip at the beginning of July. So I am available between then.

Also, if anyone is interested in following our little adventures my wife has a blog/instram. Not all of it involves the van however. She does a good job documenting things and it might be worth a look. http://www.instagram.com/go_somewhere_new/